_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
PE for Tamiya Panzer IV ausf D
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 08:24 AM UTC
What is the best, or most suitable, PE set for Tamiya Panzer IV ausf D? I believe there are some fender problems with badly molded tools.
Would "On the Mark Models" etch set for Tamiya Panzer IV and variants be any good?
I want to build this kit before Tristars is released and makes this antiquedated as well. I have Academy panzer IV indy tracks .. are these suitable.
Any help or tips would be very much appreciated. Cheers!
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Armorama: 1,980 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 08:43 AM UTC
Hi frank i found this set from netmerchants and they are the tamiya set.one good thing is netmerchants warehouse is based in ireland and it would not take long to arrive. http://www.netmerchants.co.uk/product.php/2685/542/3bdf1cee8a2dc592f362e2293de9691a cheers
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 09:01 AM UTC
Thanks Karl. I already have this set. Its only some etched spanners and lid doors for stowage boxes. I bought it thinking it would be useful, as well! Parts can be used, but not really what Im looking for.
Cheers.
PS: I dont live in Ireland ... Have lived in Sweden for the last 9 years. Still Irish though!
Hoovie
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 505 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 09:13 AM UTC
Just got the big ed set
1/35 EDBIG3507 Pz.IV Ausf.H Super Set
on sale for $30 at GMW!!
thats 4 sets plus mask!
Ron
rudie
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
KitMaker: 123 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 - 01:33 PM UTC
my sentiments exactly, nothng is better than Eduard, even if prices are somewhat high. Wouldn't like to think what they would be charging if they came from somewhere else and not the Chech rep.
Get the metal MOSKIT exhaust pipe, the Tamiya one is disgusting. The Academy tracks will do nicely, especially with some mud on them.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 01:03 PM UTC
Thanks guys for your help. I have not used many PE sets ...but somehow Eduard appeals to me more. Maybe its because the parts seem more usable. I have a few aber sets, but theres so many small parts, I think most will be wasted! Doesthe Eduard set contain fenders?
I have a military modelling magazine where someone built a DAK panzer IV, and I can use that as reference for the exhaust. I believe its too short? He joined two exhaust together, to make one. Will look into the moskit alternative. Cheers!
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 04:47 PM UTC
Eduard's old set 35089 is made specifically for the Tamiya Panzer IV D. I've got an extra set kicking aroud that I will never use. I've also got On The Mark set #TMP3518 that is designed for either the old Italeri Pz IV (F1/F2/G) or Tamiya Pz IV (D or H). I think the Eduard set is probably a bit better since it is designed for the Tamiya Pz IV D.
Ian2
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 97 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 09:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks guys for your help. I have not used many PE sets ...but somehow Eduard appeals to me more. Maybe its because the parts seem more usable. I have a few aber sets, but theres so many small parts, I think most will be wasted! Doesthe Eduard set contain fenders?
I have a military modelling magazine where someone built a DAK panzer IV, and I can use that as reference for the exhaust. I believe its too short? He joined two exhaust together, to make one. Will look into the moskit alternative. Cheers!

I think the modeller you are thinking of is Tom Cockle. It was a very involved build, utiising parts from at least 3 kits, plus loads of extras. He is moderator on the Axis forum of Missing Links, if you want to ask him a few questions.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2005 - 12:59 AM UTC
Thanks Ian. I do believe you are right. Thats the kind of build review I like ... good fix-it solutions and a good reference article.
Im gathering a few items to improve the Tamiya IV D, so I can build it before Tristar release theirs. If I could get anywhere near that level Id be well happy.
Thanks to Sabot, Ive secured the Eduard PE for the kit.
Cheers to all, for taking the time to comment.
 _GOTOTOP