Armor/AFV: Braille Scale
1/72 and 1/76 Scale Armor and AFVs.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Went on a slight Braille Scale binge today
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 - 02:06 PM UTC
Went to the local shop in Louisville today (had the day off for President's Day). They normally do not stock much 1/72 scale armor and not any aftermarket items. Today, I found several 1/72 scale barrels by Aber as well as 1/72 scale MIG tank crew figures.

I ended up buying the Italeri DUKW, three Aber 37mm barrels and some photoetched Marsden runway matting. I figure the matting would make a decent load for the DUKW. The barrels will be used on the Italeri M8 and Mirage M3 Lee, perhaps on the old Hasegawa M3A1 Stuart.

They also had a 75mm gun for the M4A3 Sherman and a couple of barrels for the PzKpfw IV Ausf. H, but I didn't need those at the time.

Braille scale aftermarket is getting to be a sickness with me.
SgtWilhite
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 470 posts
Armorama: 362 posts
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 - 02:17 PM UTC
Sabot, I wanted to appologize for not having the Braille Scale in the "Tank Terror" Campaign. That was a mistake on my part. I'll have to claim ignorance because when I was doing up the campaign, I didn't realize there was so much stuff in that scale. Sorry, 'bout that.
Sabot
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 - 02:29 PM UTC
No problem. There are quite a bit of brand new Braille scale kits that were released in the last few months that would have fit the build like Dragon's retooled Elefant and Jagdpanther, or ExtraTech's M10 Wolverine, M36 Jackson and Achilles IIC. All of these kits contain photoetched detail parts and ExtraTech's have some resin parts too.

If all you know about Braille scale kits are the old Matchbox or Airfix kits, take a look at some of the newer kits. The quality, detail and complexity has increased greatly.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 - 02:46 PM UTC
Howdy fellas,

Your thread, Rob has presented a good opportunity to maybe post this question that's been runnin' thru my head for some time........hopefully you don't mind.

I have been aware of your focus on the 'smaller' scale for some time now, and in a word, have had my admiration of your modeling talents elevated by your embracement of this rather difficult scale (IMHO) to new levels. I just simply think that the scale itself is very challenging (something I've had to warm to.....but glad I did).

Additionally, I have been taking rather jealous note of all of the unique offerings in this scale that are not offered in 1/35th scale (something I STILL don't understand....).
Anyway, ad to this my also recent awareness of the 'Wargaming' crowd. They apparently use 1/72 / 1/76th (20mm) scale figures/vehicles in their gaming competitions.
And you have a very inquisitive nose sniffin' around the Braille scale stuff..........

How hard is this stuff to work with?

Tread.

Sabot
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 - 03:15 PM UTC
The newer kits made by mainstream companies like Revell, Dragon, Italeri and Trumpeter are really nice and easy to build. Some of the eastern European kits are limited run and are challenging. Many are thick, crude and not well detailed. Some, like Skif, Mirage and UM, are pretty good.

Of course, each manufacturer has a turkey or two. Revell has a few old Hasegawa kits in their line and there are a few old Matchbox kits kicking around in Revell boxes as well.

Dragon's first Elefant and Ferdinand were a chore to build, but it was their first Braille kit. Also in their defense, they retooled the Elefant and reissued it. Now it is much better. I did three of their kits that had diecast hulls (Panther, SturmTiger, AAV7A1). Not a fan of their diecast hulls. Too hard to work with, the fit is off and you can't make the kit fit unless you chip of the pre-primed surfaces.

The Trumpeter kits I have are the Elefant (excellent), ZIL-157 cargo truck, ZIL-157 fueler and their LCM(3) are all very nice kits. The ZILs were missing some details (prominent headlight guards), but fortunately ExtraTech makes a nice PE set that covers the missing items.

Italeri entered the Braille world by reissuing old Esci kits from the 80s. Not necessarily bad kits, but a little dated compared to Revell kits of the 21st century. I've just bought the second of the two new original Italeri kits. I have the M8 Grayhound armored car and now the DUKW. The kits are aimed at both wargamers and modelers. They come with a thick booklet (DUKW is 36 pages) with wargame rules for using that vehicle in the game. These kits have an extra sprue that contains detail parts for the modeler or directions on using a simplified wheel/suspension assembly for the wargamer.

If you want to try an easy Braille kit, give one of the new Italeri US wheeled vehicles a try. You can build it easy or a little more detailed. Now if you want a challenge, go for Revell’s new FAMO. I hear it is a great kit and quite big (for a 1/72 scale kit).
Tiger101
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 902 posts
Armorama: 628 posts
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 - 03:28 PM UTC
I'm taking my first leap into 1/72 with the Seeing Red Campaign.

I have 2 Ace kits T-90 and the TOS-1 (looks like a MLRS mounted on a T-72 hull)

Any comment on Ace kits? They look accurate.
Sabot
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 - 03:46 PM UTC
Ace kits are limited run and a little rougher than the injection molded kits you may be used to. I've only built one Ace kit, a BMP-1, and it was a challenge. I know they have a rather interesting line, but the experience I had with the BMP has shied me away from current Ace kits.

I do hear that they have improved a bit with the most recent kits. I still pop open boxes when I see T-55s, PT-76s, Tirans, etc. and they still look like limited run kits in the box.
Tiger101
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 - 03:54 PM UTC
Thanks for the reply Rob. I will post some photos once I get started. The detail looks crisp and accurate. The thing that scares me is the tiny tracks. Ahhh well have to keep trying new things I guess.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 - 04:10 PM UTC
Howdy Rob,

Many, many thx for your input on the subject. As usual, I tip my hat to your generousity in sharing your intel, and feel much better about the (Braille) subject because of it.

I will admit to being 'teased' by their wee boxes of late. I guess I just need to try one out to settle it. And at the very reasonable prices associated with that particular scale, I must also admit to at least a little joy at the potential savings in sheckles.......
And, since I am on a recent 'wheeled' swing I will just have to take your well-trusted advice and take the dive!
My only hope is to be half as accomplished in my final result as you are.

Tread.

As a follow-up query.

One of the other intriguing things about the 'braille scale' armour subject matter is.....(and this is just an opinion) that it would seem to work well (and hopefully in concert with) similarly scaled aircraft models...........
Input?

OH!........and another thing......now, Tiger101 is taking a shot at Braille scale too?...........Scott my man. Every time you post of late I am increasingly glad you have decided to spend your time here with us. To elaborate, you are not one to 'shy' away from challenges..........good on ya!
Tiger101
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 - 04:36 PM UTC
Thanks Tread ..... Since I have been here I haven't posted much. I have watched and learned alot. I always like new challenges. Its the only way we learn new skills. BTW where is your sub????? I'm looking forward to seeing it.
Sabot
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 - 11:45 PM UTC
They work well with aircraft but you have to place the right vehicles together. A Sherman tank looks out of place next to a P-51 revving up. Academy does a nice set of airfield accessory kits (includes Jeep and Kubelwagen).

I guess a tank passing by a crash landed ground support plane could work.

Again, when chosing a Braille kit, make sure you know what's inside. Airfix has old kits listed at 1/72 but are 1/76.
rudie
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
KitMaker: 123 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 - 11:54 PM UTC
I have to say that for no apparent reason, most companies think that just because its in 72 they can get away with some ugly armour reproductions. It has always baffled me why the effort put into planes is lost when it comes to making armor.
I sometimes wish they would sell them without the detail, it would save all the trouble removing it before doing it in a proper fashion.
Sabot
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 - 11:58 PM UTC
Actually, the latest kits by Dragon, Trumpeter, Mirage, Eduard/ExtraTech all come with photoetch details and very fine details. Sounds like you are describing the 1/72 scale kits of the 80s and earlier and applying those standards to current kits produced 20 years later.

Visit www.ontheway.us and check out reviews of some of the newer kits from mainstream manufacturers (not so much the limited run stuff).
rudie
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
KitMaker: 123 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 12:00 AM UTC
Actually I was thinking more about Russian models, they are easiest to come by in my homeland.
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 02:12 AM UTC
The kits from PST are quite good I think A bit of sanding on some parts to get them to fit The tracks are link and length I don't think I would want to try indy links in that scale
A few years back I built a PST KV-1 that had the German 75mm gun and commanders vision cuppola
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 05:10 AM UTC
Just to show that the publishers are taking 1/72nd scale seriously, this is for release in July ... Who's going to bet there aren't others not too far behind....Jim

Savage
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,405 posts
Armorama: 656 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 01:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Some of the eastern European kits are limited run and are challenging. Many are thick, crude and not well detailed.

Too true Rob, I have quite a few ACE kits, some are somewhat of a challenge, e.g. their early T-54/55 range, but their Ural range is an improvement and their LAV-R comes with well detailed rubber tyres.

In ACE’s defence, they are constantly trying to improve their quality, but here in the UK their items are very expensive. Their BTS-4 is almost the same price as Dragon’s & Trumpeter’s LCM (III) and close to Revell’s Leopard 1 Bridgelayer.

Quoted Text

The Trumpeter kits I have are the Elefant (excellent), ZIL-157 cargo truck, ZIL-157 fueler and their LCM(3) are all very nice kits.

I have just bought Trumpeter’s Ferdinand, and it is truly excellent. As of yet, I don’t have any of Dragon’s 1/72 scale kits, but hopefully that will soon be changing. Revell’s kits too, as you mentioned, are predominantly good, but with them and Italeri doing so many repops, it can get dicey as to what you might end up with. This said, even these repops are better than the Airfix kits that are resurfacing…
Sabot
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 04:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Too true Rob, I have quite a few ACE kits, some are somewhat of a challenge, e.g. their early T-54/55 range, but their Ural range is an improvement and their LAV-R comes with well detailed rubber tyres.

If you read all of my posts, this is what I specificially said about ACE kits:

"I do hear that they have improved a bit with the most recent kits. I still pop open boxes when I see T-55s, PT-76s, Tirans, etc. and they still look like limited run kits in the box."

The quote you took was about overall eastern European manufacturers in general and not directed at any company or country.

While I do not know the price off hand for an ACE kit (besides the BMP-1 I bought for $7-8), the Revell Biber cost me $10.25, the Trumpeter LCM was about $18 and the Dragon LCM was $17 (but I passed on it to buy the Trumpeter kit). Unsure of what that equates to in pounds or euros but it is doubtful I would pay $18 for any ACE kit I have seen.
Savage
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,405 posts
Armorama: 656 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 12:56 AM UTC
My apologies Rob, I did read all your posts. My post using your quote was neither to respond to an attack on ACE (as I don’t believe you did, just conveyed facts) nor to provoke one.

The quote I used was meant to encompass the “they still look like limited run kits” you mentioned. Even though they are improving their quality, IMHO they still have a long way to go.
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Armorama: 1,867 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 02:15 AM UTC
Ahhhh, the braille scale debates. Gotta love all the new release that are coming down the pipe. I am especially interested in that Osprey book! I bought, cut, sanded, and hacked my way thru an ACE T-55 Enigma, combining it with the PST kit. It came out all right, but the PST tracks arent the right type. I paid $20 for the ACE kit, and it seems that is pretty much the going rate these days for their unusual kits. I'm like Rob on these kits, if I can open it up and check it out, I do. If not I usually keep walking. I have seen some work from a guy (Name escapes me at the moment) who took an ACE kit and it was amazing what he was able to do with it.

Question for Rob.....Whats with the new ROG releases in1/76? Specifically the M24, etc. Are these re-pops of the Fujimi kits? Haven't had a chance to crack one open as yet. Thanks, "Q"
Sabot
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 02:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Question for Rob.....Whats with the new ROG releases in1/76? Specifically the M24, etc. Are these re-pops of the Fujimi kits? Haven't had a chance to crack one open as yet. Thanks, "Q"

Old Matchbox kits with the little display bases. Revell previously released some of them in "combo-packs" with a set of vinyl soldiers and labeled them 1/72. Some of the combo-packs included newer Revell kits and not just old Matchbox kits.

The combo-packs with Matchbox kits include the Comet, M7 Priest, M3 Stuart, Firefly, M16 Halftrack, Panzer II and some others I can't think of off the top of my head. I know the Tiger 1 and Marder 1A3 combo-packs were not ex-Matchbox kits.

I am glad to see the old Matchbox kits available once again (outside of eBay). The Revell decals are superior to old Matchbox ones. I build these for just fun and nostalgia.

As for ACE kits, yes, they have quite a selection that makes me drool when I see the box art. Every time I open one though, I see more of a struggle than I think it is worth. Too many nicer kits available for less money. I do recall buying that BMP-1 because it was so cheap, but again, given the choice between buying an ACE kit at almost $20 or a pair of Revell or Dragon kits for $10 each. Well, the choice would be simple to make.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 04:15 PM UTC
Howdy fellas,

My apologies, but it's me being a bit of a bother again....
Got a guestion tho'....do they make a flamethrower version of any Allied vehicles in either 1/72nd or 1/76th scale?

Rob has come up with a brilliant suggestion for a campaign on another thread regarding flamethrower-based subject matter and I just don't know what's 'out there' in regards to Braille......any input?
tia

Tread.
Sabot
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 04:41 PM UTC
See my other post for your answer Tread. There are several Soviet tanks, a couple of work around solutions for US vehicles, provided you like to build Marine Corps armor
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Armorama: 1,867 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 12:41 AM UTC
ESCI also did a flame thrower 251 in 1/72. I grabbed one awhile back at an estate sale. Nice kit except for the stiff rubber band tracks. Looking forward to that particular campaign. "Q"
 _GOTOTOP