_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
CANUCK STEEL Firefly Vc
dogload
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 585 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 - 09:58 PM UTC
Her's an in-progress shot of my Dragon Firefly, painted scc15, tracks not yet finished, awaiting markings and stowage.

Apologies for crappy photo.
ex-royal
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,009 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 12:43 AM UTC
It's coming along nicely...Great subject choice as well. I'll be watching for it.
cheers,
Bryan
dogload
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 02:57 AM UTC
Thanks Bryan.
Actually, I guess you're the one to ask- Do Canadian Fireflies feature the turret mounted smoke launchers like on this one in Holland
http://www.liberationchildren.org/lib/lib4/images/Lunteren-3-VG.jpg
I know it's a bit late in the build to be asking such fundamental questions, but it's just dawned on me... uh!

Cheers
ex-royal
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,009 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 03:05 AM UTC
They werent as comon in NWE as they were in Italy. The pic you have there is a IC and not a VC. I have seen them used but the vast majority of VC firelfies used the smoke pots on the rear Hull. I would bet dollars to donuts that the tank you have there is a Canadian FF because of the way it is festooned with T62 Track as extra armour. I could also venture a guess that this tank belongs to the 5 Canadian Armoured Division. THis division had a standing order that alowed each tank to use 120 links for extra protection. They also were transfered from Italy to NWE. I hope this helps.
Cheers,
Bryan
dogload
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 03:11 AM UTC
Woah- scary! Do you carry that sort of information in your head?!
Actually, I don't know if you know that website, but there are several shots of Canadian vehicles- most images have captions giving units etc. -but not that one.
Thanks for the info- brilliant. Appreciate it
C[ ]
MC
Trackjam
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 831 posts
Armorama: 614 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 08:10 AM UTC
Looking Good. Have you got a Regiment in mind?
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 08:26 AM UTC
Required 120 pieces of link? I often wondered why Canadian tanks were so partial to track links smothering their tanks. When compared to US or Brits who seem to use whatever was on hand such as sandbags, extra armor plate, wood planks, logs, etc... a majority of pics of Canadians have tracks.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 10:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Required 120 pieces of link? I often wondered why Canadian tanks were so partial to track links smothering their tanks. When compared to US or Brits who seem to use whatever was on hand such as sandbags, extra armor plate, wood planks, logs, etc... a majority of pics of Canadians have tracks.

A lot of welded on track-link armour still had the end connectors and teeth attached, so would this give the effect of 'spaced armour'? If so then that would be a good enough reason for me, and make it surprising that more crews didn't adopt it!
 _GOTOTOP