_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
New Campaign Idea: Everyone included
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,161 posts
Armorama: 542 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 05:42 AM UTC
I wanted to post this in here and see what the general interest level was for this campaign, I already have gotten a few messages from people interested in the AFV forums.

This campaign will be open to all prior service and active duty military, all nationalities and all vehicles, ships, planes etc. The campaign will be based on your service history, build a model of a vehicle, tank, truck, jeep, plane, boat, sub, helo, weapons system etc etc that you crewed, served on, commanded or maintained. You must have had direct contact with this vehicle in one of the ways mentioned above.

(As a note I am simply using the generic term 'vehicle' from here on, this covers all the platforms mentioned above)

Just a simple build, any scale, no need for figures but you can add them if you want to model yourself (should make it easier for reference photo's that way lol). Static build, OOB, superdetailed, dio it's up to you.

I think it would be kind of cool to have the many service members both active/ reserve and retired/veteran show off their vehicles. You can add some style to your vehicle with a personal photo of you on the vehicle as well.

We could start this off later in the year if everyone's interested and their plates are already full, there's a lot of great campaigns going on.

What say you?
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 489 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 06:38 AM UTC
Well, I have been wanting to do one of my old tank for years now. Maybe this would get it going. I would prefer to hold off on it until June at least. You could start the campaign sooner, just please allow me at least until Sept. to complete it. As you stated, my plate is full at this moment.
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 06:41 AM UTC
Not a problem Rich, I'm actually thinking of an even later start than that. Possibly late in the year like say last quarter, to give everyone plenty of lead time to get what they need, get other campaign's done etc before kicking this one off.

I screwed the title of this thread up, should have made it "all groups" rather than "everyone included".
husky1943
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,305 posts
Armorama: 591 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 06:54 AM UTC
Ciao Moezilla,
I would like to be a part of that. It sounds really interesting. Yeah, if we could have it later on in the year, that would be good. Count me in.
Ciao for now
Rob
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 07:03 AM UTC
Definitely later in the year and as was suggest by Blade48mrd in the AFV forum discussion on this idea, we'll go with a start of November 11, Veteran's Day.

Very fitting to start the campaign on Veteran's Day, a day we salute the service and sacrifices of veterans everywhere.

Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 07:16 AM UTC
Moe,
Great idea, but I wont officially sign up, I just want to submit pictures. I already built three of my Hummers I was assigneed to. I've also built a Bradley that I worked on during one of my Annual Training exercises. I have actual photo's of all of these.
Can I submit something I already started. Its been in the "to be finished" pile for a while. Its one of my 5 Ton trucks with shelter on the back.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 07:22 AM UTC
Kinda like a Reduce-Your-Stash-by-One-Kit Campaign??
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 09:07 AM UTC
Sure Pete, that would be fine. This is NOT a campaign for bragging rights (although of course, everyone do your best) but a way for everyone to 'show off' what they did and to put a spotlight on those who served their countries here at The Big 'A'.

There will be no hard and fast rules of starting ahead of time, just be finished 'on time'. There will be no 'hurry up and wait' associated with this campaign. If you want to use something you have started on already, go right ahead.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 10:10 AM UTC
I'm in...Got plenty to work with. and long overdue...

as for bragging rights...(in a deep, serious voice) "...so THERE I was, knee-deep in hand grenade pins, ...and TM manuals..."

#:-) #:-) #:-)
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 10:39 AM UTC
Excellent Jaques! Creative stories can be included.
Manchu34
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 493 posts
Armorama: 361 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 05:06 PM UTC
Count me in. I'll build one just for this campaign and submit some other models I've already built of vehicles I either drove or commanded.
Chief
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 498 posts
Armorama: 193 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 05:38 PM UTC
Great Idea!!!! I'm in, I just hope that I can fit this one in between deployments. Looking to finish my MG42 Gunner for the Ardennes build this weekend and my Type XXI for DDD next weekend. Then I'm off on Det. for a few months.

If anyone has access to a Hasegawa EP-3E Aries Recconnaissance version of the P-3 or a copy of the P-3C Update II (both in 1/72) I'd be in debt to them.

Here's a thought.....Due to the world situation and the deployment schedules for virtually all the services, maybe we could have this a "Perpetual Motion" campaign that has no deadline for those of us still on active duty?
Chief
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 06:10 PM UTC
That is definitely the idea Lauren, the initial campaign I'm looking at making it be an 'end date' of end of the year with the start date being ASAP. All of this official word will come out next week but that's the plan right now.

With this year being the 60th anniversary year of the end of WWII, I'd like everyone to have the rest of the year to complete their builds. Once this is complete, we'll have a good base to build upon and this campaign will be 'concluded' but will be open ended as well. To keep things easier to track for paperwork purposes, ribbons and such we'll need a firm completion date for everyone able to do their builds (non-delpoyed people) to receive their ribbons. Those unable to complete their builds by the completion date due to deployments will have NO end date and will have an unlimited extension. Although the campaign will be concluded, it will not end. I'd like to see this be a continual campaign for ALL active and prior service members of ALL countries.

This is NOT a US only campaign but is open to ALL nationalities. The point of this campaign is to honor all who have served their countries who are a part of Armorama.

We're all brothers in arms...
Splinty2001
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 283 posts
Armorama: 181 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 07:30 PM UTC
I would love to participate, I've been wanting to do my old Bradley for years, this is the kick in the pants I've been needing!
bilko
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 584 posts
Armorama: 241 posts
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2005 - 12:02 AM UTC
Sounds great...........hmmmmmmmm vehicle I worked with etc.....well as a grunt we bloody walked everywhere. And being in the reserves the odd Unimog or Landrover was all we got to see and occasionally beg a lift in.

We were promised choppers (hueys) every year (for 7 years) but only once did that promise come true. Every other time the chopper turned out to be a Landrover with a digger sitting on the bonnet twirling an empty water canteen on a toggle rope and yelling " WHOKKA, WHOKKA ,WHOKKA" - now there is an idea.

I will see if I have time later in the year to join in.

Brian
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 5,435 posts
Armorama: 2,762 posts
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2005 - 12:33 AM UTC
It's a great idea, but I haven't served on anything yet haha :-) Still busy with school here....So I can't join hehe

Just wanted to wish everybody good luck on this one and Moezilla, this is a great idea!

Martin
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2005 - 02:59 AM UTC
LOL! BRian, that sounds like a great idea for a dio!

Feel free to use figures if you want, can be a solo figure or a group of several figures. There are no scale restrictions, no idea restrictions. This is a fun build for everyone to show off not only their modeling skills but also what they did in the military. Instead of doing research about WWII vehicles, units and their markings I think it would be fun if people had to break out their old pictures (reference photo's), reminisce about the old days and fellow troopers you served with (research), break out your old uniforms (if you still have them) for good measure but please DO NOT try to fit into it.

While this is for active/reserve and veteran/retired military members, I'd like to leave it open for everyone here who has had a family member in the service and would like to honor them with a model of what their job was.

Quoted Text

Sounds great...........hmmmmmmmm vehicle I worked with etc.....well as a grunt we bloody walked everywhere. And being in the reserves the odd Unimog or Landrover was all we got to see and occasionally beg a lift in.

We were promised choppers (hueys) every year (for 7 years) but only once did that promise come true. Every other time the chopper turned out to be a Landrover with a digger sitting on the bonnet twirling an empty water canteen on a toggle rope and yelling " WHOKKA, WHOKKA ,WHOKKA" - now there is an idea.

I will see if I have time later in the year to join in.

Brian

Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2005 - 04:26 AM UTC
The campaign has been submitted for approval, more information to follow.
 _GOTOTOP