_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
fading paint on vehicles
godfather
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 817 posts
Armorama: 465 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 07:17 AM UTC
Any suggestions on how to do this without using an airbrush?
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 07:23 AM UTC
You could try using pastels. Use a shade similar to the paint colour, but lighter. You could also try drybrushing. I like using the airbrush though.

Nic
Bribo
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 205 posts
Armorama: 129 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 08:33 AM UTC
What techniques do you use?
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 08:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You could try using pastels. Use a shade similar to the paint colour, but lighter. You could also try drybrushing. I like using the airbrush though.

Nic

Nic--can you expand on this one? I am finishing the DW and would love to spray a nice weathering of light brown on the side.
thanks
DJ
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 09:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Nic

Nic--can you expand on this one? I am finishing the DW and would love to spray a nice weathering of light brown on the side.
thanks
DJ

The airbrushing more or less goes like this, I mix Tamiya Dark Earth with some black color, the ratio is something like 60/20/20, the last 20 being the thinner. Then I spray this mix at the substructure of the vehicle. You want sometimes pull the airbrush back a bit and sometimes move little bit in to make it not uniform, and looked like a coat of mud. I then use Buff to spray the superstructure to tone down the color a bit. I think there is a section in Green;and's "Model Bible" about it too. HTH.
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 09:44 AM UTC
For fading, I like to use the "cloud pattern" method that Steve (octupus) used on his Luchs. This involves spraying with a dark basecoat, then spraying in the middle of panels with a lighter shade. Really gives it a neat effect.
For what you are looking for, Dave's method is a good one. Of course, if you prefer enamels, you can always spray a coat of chocolate brown on. Sometimes I will use some thinned down brown or buff, depending on what you are trying to do (about 70% thinner) and spray this lightly over the whole model. This ties things in a bit better.
If you want a very light amount of brown dust on the sides of your tank, I might be inclined to use pastels.

Nic
PEIRECCE
Visit this Community
Prince Edward Island, Canada
KitMaker: 117 posts
Armorama: 60 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 07:55 PM UTC
If you are using enamels, get yourself a tube of white oil paint and then mix the model colour with the white until it is slightly lighter. Dry brush lightly and keep adding white paint till you are happy. Add more white to upper surfaces. If you have camoflage use each colour and drybrush. Good effects and you don't need an airbrush.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 08:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If you are using enamels, get yourself a tube of white oil paint and then mix the model colour with the white until it is slightly lighter. Dry brush lightly and keep adding white paint till you are happy. Add more white to upper surfaces. If you have camoflage use each colour and drybrush. Good effects and you don't need an airbrush.

Nice concept.
thanks
DJ
 _GOTOTOP