Hosted by Darren Baker
The Best T-55 russian tank kit on the market
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,225 posts
Armorama: 520 posts
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2005 - 02:35 PM UTC
I am looking for the best T-55 model kit in 1/72nd scale on the market that I can buy in my local hobby shop. Can anyone help?
nfafan
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 335 posts
Armorama: 315 posts
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2005 - 04:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

... I can buy in my local hobby shop. Can anyone help?

That's a tough one. Ye Old LHS just aint what they used to be anymore.

Anyway, conventional wisdom is that the ACE "garage kit" of the T5X is the best available, better than the cheaper PST T5X kit. Check "On The Way" for reviews.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2005 - 04:16 PM UTC
Howdy fellas,

I just saw the T-55 Enigma kit the other day......which manufacturer was that?.....?

I seem to remember a pretty decent write-up on that kit.....of course it's the 'Enigma' and not the standard T-55 but.......just a thought.

Tread.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2005 - 04:30 PM UTC
I've struggled with an Ace kit before (not a T-55 or variant). I would not recommend the kit I tried to anyone. I was corresponding with Kevin Keefe (KKeefe) earlier this week about an Ace modern Russian mortar carrier he was working on. His comments were the same as mine.

I've got both the PST T-54 and T-55 but have not built either one yet (pesky group builds get in the way). I picked up both kits for under $5 from Alanger here in the US. They look decent enough and I got both for less than what the Ace kit would have cost me at my local shop.

I would rate the PST kits just below Revell quality.

Tread, the Enigma kit you saw was most likely an Ace kit. They do have an interesting line. It pains me to pass them up in the store, but I always pop the box to look inside.
october
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 140 posts
Armorama: 80 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 05, 2005 - 12:54 PM UTC
I believe the standard of ACE kits is improving, I recently bought the BTR-D and although I haven't started it yet the molding looks far superior all round.It also has PE tracks.
I think Iam right in saying that the T-55 has been re- tooled to deal with inacccuracies in the wheel spacing.
However the boxes are the same for old and new kits as I found to my cost when I purchased one at a recent show.

Cheers October.
 _GOTOTOP