How good the 1/72 scale UM T-34/76 are
They worth the money we pay for it
Best regards,
Panzerfist
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 06, 2005 - 06:45 AM UTC
They are relatively inexpensive in the US, around $8-10. Frank is sending me one from Europe. I just got my first UM kit, the 38t Ausf. C, and it looks like a nicely detailed kit. Way superior to the Attack Hobby 38t or Fujimi 38t I have.

I've heard they are supposed to be really nice T-34 kits. I also want to get the Dragon one so I can compare the two for myself.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 06, 2005 - 07:15 AM UTC
Howdy fellas,

Funny you guys are talking about that kit (or actually, the UM kits in general), because I spent a decent amount of time perusing the 1/72nd aisle at my LHS just yesterday. The T34/76 caught my eye because I was looking for and 85 model.
Glad to hear you endorse them Rob.

I'm REALLY teetering on the edge of picking up some braille scale kits......just haven't fallen off the cliff yet..

Tread.

Oh, BTW. I was able to open both an ACE kit box, and a PST box.......gotta tell ya, I was more impressed with the PST kit.
Sabot
Posted: Sunday, March 06, 2005 - 02:13 PM UTC
Revell T-34/85 is particularly nice, but be careful. The T-34/76 (labeled as 1/76 scale) is the old Matchbox kit.
chuckster
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 289 posts
Armorama: 170 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 06, 2005 - 04:00 PM UTC
I also have the Pz38(t) kit from UM. It is an outstanding kit. If the T-34/76 kit is of comparable quaility, I don't think you will be disappointed.
Sabot
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2005 - 01:11 AM UTC
That's what I'm hoping as well. There are several UM kits that have caught my eye.
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Armorama: 1,867 posts
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2005 - 02:41 AM UTC
I ended up with a couple of UM kits out of a raffle pile and I'm in no way disatisfied with them. They look pretty good. I just need to crack into one and see how everything fits etc. In regards to the ACE/PST issue. They both have there merits. ACE has some great subjects, but parts clean up is a real nightmare not to mention the price they want for them. I shelled out $20 for a T-55 Enigma. Never again. THe PST was cleaner, but had some accuracy issues. (T54/55) Namely the tracks were wrong, but the price was great at less that $8. I combined the two and have a some what nice T-55 Enigma, or should say HAD a nice Enigma. It got squashed beyond repair Oh well. Just a reason to do another one at some point. "Q"
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2005 - 03:44 AM UTC
Howdy fellas,

Thx for the Revell 85 model input Rob, my LHS must have been out of stock of that particular kit because I didn't see it.
No worries though, I was just potentially looking for something for the 'Seeing Red' Campaign and was thinking about the T34/85 with the bedrails as applique....that's all.
I also saw the Italeri (?) M48 that I'm thinking about getting and bashing over to an M67 for this really hot upcoming Campaign about flamethrowers, maybe you've heard of it?

Red4, sorry to hear of your Enigma 'squash'. Especially after all that work. But what I'm finding kinda funny about your remark about combining kits is; even in braille scale we are still finding ways to increase the cost of our projects by having to buy multiple kits, PE sets, etc.....
And lastly, regarding the ACE/PST 'thing'...your comment about 'flash' was exactly the observation I made. The ACE kits appeared to have a significant amount of flash as opposed to the PST kits I looked at. Obviously I couldn't make a determination about fit (since I was standing in the aisle of my LHS ) so my critique was solely based upon first impressions only.

But hey!.....while I have some braille scale 'ears'....I was really admiring the 1/72nd scale Scammel tank transporter kit I saw (Revell?, Airfix?....can't remember now). Would anyone know how this kit is??
Wish they'd make this kit in 1/35th injection........

Tread.
Sabot
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2005 - 03:59 AM UTC
T-34/85 with bedspring armor? Like this set made by Part for any 1/72 scale T-34?
http://www.tracks-n-troops.com/part.htm

Armo does some resin/PE T-34 turrets with turned aluminum barrels as well: http://www.tracks-n-troops.com/armo_metal_barrels.htm

The Scammel is an old Airfix kit that was actually not bad for its day. I have a fairly recent one boxed as 1/72 scale with the red, yellow, blue skill levels on it.

I also have one of the more vintage boxings where the Scammel convoy is being strafed by a Stuka and Tommies are dying and diving for cover. This boxing gives the more proper 1/76 scale listing.

I first built the kit when MPC reboxed Airfix armor kits during their "Golden Opportunity" promotions (cut wing, wheel or anchor logos off the box side and send away for a free kit).

Matchbox also does a Diamond tank transporter in 1/76 scale. They run fairly cheaply on eBay, about $3-6.
Sabot
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2005 - 03:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

But hey!.....while I have some braille scale 'ears'....I was really admiring the 1/72nd scale Scammel tank transporter kit I saw (Revell?, Airfix?....can't remember now). Would anyone know how this kit is??

Had to dig out my old Scammels to see if the info I provided above was correct. The oldest one I have is molded in olive green with very sharp detail. It is labeled made in USA (Philadelphia, PA no zip code). The kit is advertised as Airfix-72 constant scale.

The 1990 issue I have is made in France and molded in light gray. It has a little bit of flash, you can tell the molds are getting tired. The box top scale is listed as HO/OO.

The blue box I have is unopened but I'd venture to guess it is about the same as the 1990 issue.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 03:26 AM UTC
Howdy Rob,

Many, many thx for your informative input. And I really appreciate the inclusion of the bedspring applique armour PE fet picture (didn't even know they made it ). Maybe I'll give that kit a go,but then the PE set is probably more expensive than the kit itself...can't have everything can ya?

As far as the Scammel is concerned I'm pretty sure it's the Airfix I saw. So that (hopefully) would mean "... olive green with very sharp detail ..."
I was thinking about building this kit for animal's 'Heavy Haulers' Campaign.....what do you think, would it qualify?

Tread.
Sabot
Posted: Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 04:16 AM UTC
http://www.rollmodels.com/ Roll Models sells the Part PE bedspring armor set for $7.50. Not too terrible a price.

The Scammel would fit into the Heavy Hauler build since the key is tractor-trailer and the kit has both. Plus the Airfix kits are not that expensive, $5 give or take.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 04:22 AM UTC
Tread, take a look at this site...Jim

http://freespace.virgin.net/scammell.man/index.htm
 _GOTOTOP