Armor/AFV: Braille Scale
1/72 and 1/76 Scale Armor and AFVs.
Hosted by Darren Baker
My Braille binge continued...
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2005 - 08:19 AM UTC
Went home for lunch today (nice to be 1½ miles from home) and the mailman delivered some packages for me. Inside one was my long awaited ExtraTech M4A3E2 Jumbo. Didn't have time to crack the plastic on that one, but it should be as nice as the Eduard M4A3(76)W or ExtraTech M36 I already have.

The package I had been waiting for was a box of some WW2 German aftermarket items. I got the Atak Model Elefant zimmerit set for the Dragon Elefant and the Atak Model Tiger II zimmerit set for the Revell Porsche turreted King Tiger.

The Tiger II set includes a nicely detailed upper turret with zimmerit molded onto the surfaces. Both the commander and loader hatches are opened. There is a separate piece for the rear turret escape hatch(?), but it is not positionable.

There is a resin mantlet, resin hull machine gun blister and the rear rull piece is resin as well. These pieces will replace kit plastic parts.

The main zimmerit pieces are paper thin on a single resin wafer. It includes zimmerit for the hull sides, front upper hull glacias and front lower hull glacias.

The Elefant set contains a resin lower hull complete with suspension arms attached. The upper superstructure is also resin with both hatches open.

Additional resin parts are the rear hatch, front hull with machine gun blister, four smaller resin pieces (perhaps stowage boxes with zmmerit surfaces). It also includes a resin sledge hammer. There are two zimmerit pieces on a paper thin wafer for the fenders as well.

Each set cost me $9, about how much I paid for each kit (Dragon Armor Pro Elefant was $7 and the Revell Tiger II B was $10.50). Neither set came with instructions, but I should be able to figure it out.
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Armorama: 2,782 posts
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2005 - 12:11 PM UTC
Gee space in military housing must be tight.Haa haa.
We will miss seeing your braille in contests here in New England.
Dixon66
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,500 posts
Armorama: 289 posts
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2005 - 12:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

We will miss seeing your braille in contests here in New England.

Isn't that an oxymoron? JK LOL

It is also true, too, that half of the judges work on touch anyway!!

Have fun with those litle kits Sabot!

Dave S.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2005 - 03:43 PM UTC
Small scale armor was wide open up in New England. Amazing that I took as many awards with the junk I slapped together.

We had a pretty good little group down at Nordland AMPS. I'll miss you guys.

Carl, actually I have more storage room than ever before. These quarters have full basements. Just decided I needed to get rid of the 1/35 scale kits I knew I'd never build (mainly German armor). I'll keep a couple of the Tamiya kits but for the most part, I'm going to streamline that end of my collection.
 _GOTOTOP