Hosted by Darren Baker
My 1/72 ACE LAV-25
chuckster
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 289 posts
Armorama: 170 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 06:05 PM UTC
Here are photos of my just completed ACE models LAV-25. I know it's not perfect, but I still put my heart into it as well as a lot of work.

The photo etched basket in back of the turret and the rear view mirrors were provided with the kit. The tires are soft rubber and were included in the kit as well. The crew figures are Revell modern US soldiers which I carved up with an exacto knife and painted as US marines. I also used 1/32 inch brass rod for the handholds and antennae. Finally, I made my own smoke dischargers by cutting small lengths of plastic rod and hollowing out one end with an Xacto knife and sewing needle.

Except for the excessive flash and poorly fitting molds, I think this was a good kit. I checked the ACE website and they say they are addressing the problem. I would highly reccomend this kit as soon as they come out with the improved kits.

DJC
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 82 posts
Armorama: 45 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 12:23 AM UTC
Chuckster

ACE kits are limited production using low pressure injection moulding and they will never have the quality of Revell, etc. That said, the quality is always improving and the limited mould-life means that Alexey is able to improve his kits with each production run. He is also very responsive to modellers' wishes.

Good job with the LAV-25. The next one I make will have the hatch on the left side of the hull flush with the hull side. A bit of extra work but I think it will be worth it.

I'm hoping that Alexey will increase his LAV range to include the ASLAV-25 and ASLAV-PC. So far he has resisted my attempts to convince him that it there will a huge market for them.

Now that the Australian Govt has committed more troops and ASLAVs to Iraq, there's some interesting modelling opportunities, particularly since they will probably stay in the Australian 3 colour camouflage but with the crew in desert DPCUs.

One thing you may wish to try with your next LAV is swapping the barrel with the fluted barrel from a Dragon Bradley kit. They come with the early barrel and later fluted barrel.

David
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 01:38 AM UTC
Very nice looking LAV. The antennas should be straight and painted dark green. The 25mm barrel is should also be left a dark metal color not tan.

I've been wanting to try one of Ace's LAVs but my last experience with an Ace kit left me soured. Yes, I know he continually updates his molds, but stil...
 _GOTOTOP