_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
How to damage a photo etch part?
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 2,029 posts
Armorama: 822 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2002 - 04:32 PM UTC
Hi,

I am starting my Italery Cruisader II model and I have some Eduard photo etch sets for it.

Since this is my first attempt at using photo etch any advice is welcome

One of the sets contains the improved sand shields but I want to ad some damage to the shields, any advice on how to do this?

#:-)
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2002 - 04:37 PM UTC
Use a nail and hammer for punching the PE through. I use my teeth to chew on the PE a bit sometimes to replicate bending. Once my dog chewed on the fender of my JadgPanzer IV, comes out nicely so I didn't discipline him.... #:-)
sfilak
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 45 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2002 - 08:16 PM UTC
An easy way to make photoetch pliable is to anneal it. Use a small torch, and heat the part till it glows red hot, then let it cool on it's own. When it does, the metal will have lost its temper, and will be very soft. You can now bend the part in any shape you desire. If you want to put the temper back into the metal when you're finished, heat it up again, and then dunk it in a bucket of cold water.

Note: While this works well on larger PE parts, I wouldn't suggest using this method on small, delicate parts, as you're likely to seriously deform the part with the application of heat. Should work well on armor skirts, but do it carefully, and don't overdo the heat.
 _GOTOTOP