_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Accurate Armor 60lb Rocket set for Sherman
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 5,435 posts
Armorama: 2,762 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 08:27 AM UTC
Hi all,

I want something nice for my upcoming M4A4....

this...

or this...

Now I read reviews about the dozer blade (Trakz no 0114), seems like a very nice kit. However I can't find anything on the rockets....they're from Accurate Armor, article no = A014.

Anyone knows something about this kits quality? It's much cheaper than the dozer blade....so that's a plus hehe, don't got too much money (or maybe I just want too many kits)

Please help me make my choise on this one :-)

Thanks!

Martin
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 08:43 AM UTC
At this time Trakz seems to have some quality control issues with the dozer as a number of kits are missing the same part. You will find posts here at Big A and Missing Links about that. I believe it is part #9. However once they get that back on track I will probably be picking up at least 1 dozer kit.

As for the 60lbs, there isn't much documentation on the Tulip set up as it wasn't used widespread. It seems to be an improvised kit as there are several pic of 60lbs rocket set ups but they are all slightly different. As for action, I believe there was some discussion whether the launch of a 60lbs initiated the pre-invasion bombardment of XXX Corp as it entered Holland during Market Garden.

Personally I think there is much more flexibility with the dozer but I built the Dragon M4A4 w/60lbs rockets anyway for my collection anyway. I also really like the Verlinden dozer kit I installed on a Sherman. It's one of my favorite tanks but the Verlinden is getting hard to find. That is why I will be getting a Trakz.

I have no experience with the specific kits you mention
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
Armorama: 1,116 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 09:31 AM UTC
Martin
I'm doing much the same as you but using the Dml firefly Vc hull with a Tamiya M4 turret. With the Firefly Vc kit you get one rocket anyway so I got hold of another rocket (thanks Joe) and am doing it that way. here's a picof progress so far.

Pete

Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 09:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

At this time Trakz seems to have some quality control issues with the dozer as a number of kits are missing the same part. You will find posts here at Big A and Missing Links about that. I believe it is part #9. However once they get that back on track I will probably be picking up at least 1 dozer kit.

That's too bad....so I would be a good idea to check first if all parts are inside the kit before buying I guess :-)

This review doesn't say anything about this...guess you just got to have bad luck if you're missing parts then

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/776
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 09:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Martin
I'm doing much the same as you but using the Dml firefly Vc hull with a Tamiya M4 turret. With the Firefly Vc kit you get one rocket anyway so I got hold of another rocket (thanks Joe) and am doing it that way. here's a picof progress so far.

Pete

I use the same kits mate :-) So it wouldn't be accurate to use both rockets? I though M4A4's used double rockets!
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
Armorama: 1,116 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 09:37 AM UTC
Martin
when they first tried the rockets they only put one on but found that it helped to have 2 as it improved the trajectory. One was usually set at around 3oo yards and the other at 600 yards ( i think) I have got both rockets on mine now, that pic was just an in progress one.

Pete
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 09:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

That's too bad....so I would be a good idea to check first if all parts are inside the kit before buying I guess :-)

This review doesn't say anything about this...guess you just got to have bad luck if you're missing parts then

In the very last paragraph it states he was missing a part. Here is the passage

"An added note on VLS/Trakz customer service: I bought this kit from a vendor at a model contest and when I got it home I discovered that it was missing a part. I sent an e-mail to VLS (distributor of Trakz) on Sunday night and received a reply from none other than Bob Letterman Monday morning telling me the missing part was on the way. UPS delivered the part Tuesday morning. With customer service like that, VLS and Trakz will continue to get my business."

There have been other posts about other kits missing a part so it's not just the reviewer's kit.

Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 10:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

In the very last paragraph it states he was missing a part. Here is the passage

"An added note on VLS/Trakz customer service: I bought this kit from a vendor at a model contest and when I got it home I discovered that it was missing a part. I sent an e-mail to VLS (distributor of Trakz) on Sunday night and received a reply from none other than Bob Letterman Monday morning telling me the missing part was on the way. UPS delivered the part Tuesday morning. With customer service like that, VLS and Trakz will continue to get my business."

There have been other posts about other kits missing a part so it's not just the reviewer's kit.

Ok I missed that part of the review then.....

Hmm I can't choose :-)

I like the looks of the dozer but missing part and costs are the bad side of the story....the rockets are cheaper but I can't really use it now for a dio (made some dio plans already and the dozer would fit in those plans perfectly)

Maybe I'll just get myself a 1:16 T-34/85 then and decide next month haha :-)
dogload
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 585 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 08:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

As for the 60lbs, there isn't much documentation on the Tulip set up as it wasn't used widespread. It seems to be an improvised kit as there are several pic of 60lbs rocket set ups but they are all slightly different. As for action, I believe there was some discussion whether the launch of a 60lbs initiated the pre-invasion bombardment of XXX Corp as it entered Holland during Market Garden.

dogload
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 585 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 08:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Robert Boscawen in his book Armoured Guardsman describes the story of how the Tulips came to be and use in action.
 _GOTOTOP