Hosted by Darren Baker
1 Hour with Blockhaus method - pics
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 05:27 PM UTC
Hi guys there. Had just one hour free last evening and , since i wasnt in the mood for figure painting , i decided to give a try on Blockhaus method for buildings with cork.

I ll just say that is simple , efficient, and very very good results bringing. It was my first time to ever touch cork for modelling , and as i said it was just 1 hour to see how things work . I adored it and will train my self a lot in this. Once again Carlos thank u very very much for all ur help.

THis is after gluing cork tiles on a carton and applieng plaster with a sponge, in the gaps

and the painted element :

some texture detail

other shots

Any comments and critics welcomed as always guys.
Have a nice day

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 05:35 PM UTC
Wow! Looks great. I may have to try this myself.
Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Armorama: 1,339 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 06:56 PM UTC
Excellent first try Costas.
Makes me wanna try it myself. I just have to find the cork.
Angela
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
KitMaker: 853 posts
Armorama: 514 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 07:15 PM UTC
Okay. I quit!! :-) :-)

That is one beautiful work Major Goose. It looks very realistic. Can you weather it up a bit?

I have to try that Blockhaus cork method. Hmmm...I wonder if I can make an ruined Bastogne building using the Blockhaus method so I could finish my entry in time.

Angela
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 07:33 PM UTC
Angela u just need to start working on it . Get the cork , plaster and the plasticard and u ll see how nice it is. It reminded me old times in elementary school handcraft lessons, its so much fun !!!!!!!! Carlos has showed the way. If u find some reference on the type of building u wish to do , i think it wont be difficult to follow, and also i think Carlos would be able to provide help online in any stage of construction

Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 5,435 posts
Armorama: 2,762 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 07:47 PM UTC
Very nice mate!

I've been looking for cork ever since I saw blockhaus his first building made out of it here at armorama......but where the hell do they buy these thin cork sheets??!?!

Anyone? :-)

Martin
hemble
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 123 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 07:48 PM UTC
Very realistic indeed great work

Ron
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 07:49 PM UTC
Bro glad to see you are learning the ways of the master Carlos Fine first effort. Cheers Kevin
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 08:02 PM UTC
well i guess cork can be found either in craft stores, (they stock it for insulation purposes) or big art stores and bookstores that have office paper materials and the likes
tankysgal1
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 1,430 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 08:18 PM UTC
Good work Costas. If you did that in just an hour..just think what you could do putting some time into it. Great Job.
Mary (++)
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkįe
KitMaker: 6,405 posts
Armorama: 1,850 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 08:24 PM UTC
very nice first attempt bro.. it seems you are getting rid of the dust of plaster
willing to more soon.
blockhaus
Visit this Community
Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 693 posts
Armorama: 682 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 08:54 PM UTC
Good first work Costas!

However I think that you must put all parts of the superior arch as you make the first 3 lefth pieces, These must touch one to other.
about low arch, these with bricks yo must put bricks as stones in upper arch.

separation among bricks must be a bit more narow. In general in reality these separation is only 10 mm among bricks.

apart these minor thinks is a good sample about you can make in the first time. Imagine you afther some works taht you can make :-)

CArlos
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 09:02 PM UTC
Well , teacher, it was just u that i was expecting to comment. I agree with all ur points , but i was so excited to use the method that , i guess i didnt planned so carefully. Hopefully the online intructor is here to assist.

I will try next week to make some small cottage and u ll be able to tell me even more. Just wanna thanks u in public for all the help u provided me......and i am not finished with it, i ll ask for more as i go on !!!! Maybe in ten years i ll build just like u !!!!!!!!!!!!
Keep safe my good friend

Costas
Angela
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
KitMaker: 853 posts
Armorama: 514 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 09:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Angela u just need to start working on it . Get the cork , plaster and the plasticard and u ll see how nice it is. It reminded me old times in elementary school handcraft lessons, its so much fun !!!!!!!! Carlos has showed the way. If u find some reference on the type of building u wish to do , i think it wont be difficult to follow, and also i think Carlos would be able to provide help online in any stage of construction

Oh, I will try the Blockhaus method. You and Blockhaus can teach me, right?

Wow! We have a new name for working with cork..."the Blockhaus method." What do you think? :-) :-)

Angela

blockhaus
Visit this Community
Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 693 posts
Armorama: 682 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 10:10 PM UTC
Sure Angela!
I will teach you all that I can
Carlos
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 10:23 PM UTC
well Angela

Quoted Text

Carlos has showed the way. If u find some reference on the type of building u wish to do , i think it wont be difficult to follow, and also i think Carlos would be able to provide help online in any stage of construction

i said so didnt i said so ?

Quoted Text

Sure Angela!
I will teach you all that I can
Carlos

slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2005 - 12:56 AM UTC
Nice quick project.
I am working on a three story building using cork and there is No one hour involved there. I'm on the flip side of quick and easy.

The material is very easy to work with and the techniques are easy and you CAN produce nice subjects as this thread prooves.

I got my cork at an office store in a roll. A sheet 2 feet by 3 feet was $8-10 and will make A Lot of buildings.
You can also go to a department store and get a framed 'cork board' for pinning up messages and pictures and such in an office. Tear off the frame and peal up the cork.
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 09:10 PM UTC
well thats good that Carlos has showed us the way and more guys can take advantage of this. I d love to see ur work Scott. Next week when i ll be bored with all figures i paint i ll try some more stuff, with the "Blockhaus Method "

_GOTOTOP