_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Anyone help on this one please
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Armorama: 1,980 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 10:58 AM UTC
As i was adding the front drivers visor guard on my dragon initial Tiger,i noticed there were two small gaps on both sides.so i tryed to look for some refrence to see weather its right or wrong.anyone know about why Dragon have done this.all the other models iv looked at dont seem to have them.here is a picture of what am talking about And here is a diogram taking from a book not seen this before, can anyone verify it for me.Thanks a lot and cheers
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 12:01 PM UTC
I just looked through Squadrons Tiger in Action # 2027 and could Not identify what would use those gaps.

The only thing I can think of is how Dragon is attaching the drivers vision blocks. That 'bump' between the gaps comes pretty close to the blocks and there may be some type of 'kit' connection.

With what I see - I would fill them with putty and not do anything with them.
Sumpfhund
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 39 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 03:40 PM UTC
I have looked through my resouces as well and came up with nuthin'. Filling them in would be safe I suppose.
happy Modeling!
Ryan
swin27
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 8 posts
Armorama: 6 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 04:19 PM UTC
have found two pics of this odd feature.they are in the "NEW VANGUARD #5 , Tiger I" . Check p-34 top , a great and clear pic of Tiger I early from overhead 11 o'clock. Same ref' p-34 top. Not as clear as previous pic. Also the "old" Uwe Fiest book on the Tiger I has several pics of that area. The problem with the last reference is it went out of print in 1969. I've never seen the deck area on an early model "I". The mid and late model do not have any receses or holes any where around the "spalsh deflector". The area under the deflector is recessed machined and drilled for the bolts that secure this "block". OSPREY Pubs is revising the VANGUARD books again. These pics might not be in the same place or even be in the newest versions. The Dragon kit represents the first production vehicles. It is generally believed there were less than one hundred of this type completed before the "Early I's " comenced production . There were numerious detail differences between the two. Hope this gives some assistance.
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,546 posts
Armorama: 1,081 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 04:27 PM UTC
This is the Bovignton Tiger shortly after capture. It clearly shows these indentations.

Don't know if this enlargement helps or not.

russ
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 432 posts
Armorama: 359 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 05:01 PM UTC
Hi Karl,

I looked up Achtung Panzer #6 on the Tiger variants and the gaps are supposed to be there on the early Tiger only, I have no idea why however but have found it in a number of pics and drawings in this publication.
Hope this helps.

slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 02:52 AM UTC
Interesting indentations indeed.

BroAbrams - I missed that in the s/s book, on the opposite page (#12) the overhead diagram doesn't show them at all.

curious what they're for.
apfsds
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 30 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 03:16 AM UTC
early tigers were equipped for deep wading, could possibly be something to do with a cover for the vision slot.
c6o
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 64 posts
Armorama: 61 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 05:36 AM UTC
good pm,
hope this helps-maybe-have a copy of "tiger 1" by feist and culver and there is a clear photo the drivers visor assy. and the splash protector. from what i can see it looks like the end of a groove where the splash protector rib fits into. Looks to me like the splash protector is press fitted-i cannot see any welds around the hull or the protector.
cheers
c6o
carpe diem
 _GOTOTOP