_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Consolidation of Forums
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 796 posts
Armorama: 574 posts
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2002 - 08:47 PM UTC
Jim,

I was thinking that you might want to consolidation the forums under 4 main headers. It just seems to me that it has become a very long list. I know people don't like a lot of clicking but it would look a bit more sleek IMHO. You might even be able to put the headers on the main page.
basturk
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 212 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2002 - 08:53 PM UTC
I think thats a very good idea salt6.......Why didn t anyone come up with this sooner?? Are u listening Jim??
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2002 - 09:22 PM UTC
Guys, there is a change coming to the forum layout that Jim is working on. I have seen it and it looks great. You'll be able to tailor what forums you want to see based on larger categories such as armor, aircraft, etc. When Jim see's this thread I'm sure he will provide more info.
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2002 - 11:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I was thinking that you might want to consolidation the forums under 4 main headers.

That is a good idea. I'm looking forward to it... Jim can you comment on the changes?

Mario M.
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 04:01 AM UTC
Strange... I was thinking about things like that since the day Jim introduced the new "junk" forum. If Jim is indeed working on a forum review, I can imagine he's not going to just increase or decrease the number of forums, but provide a tool that allows the users to give their own layout to the whole thing. This may be provided with the "opt in" or "opt out" tools that work for the "junk forums". Then again, knowing Jim for the best part of a year now, .... changes may be even more impressive !
I patiently look forward to whatever changes are coming here...

Jan
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 07:51 AM UTC
There are 28 forums on the main page. I still think 4 main headers would work.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 11:50 AM UTC
Steve,
Are you speaking of the Latest Post page or just the main forum page?

Could you give me more of an idea of what you mean. Do you mean condense everything under Armor, Aircraft, Warships, and Figures?

Thanks,
Jim
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 12:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I was thinking that you might want to consolidation the forums under 4 main headers. It just seems to me that it has become a very long list.

I for one like the current setup with a lot of forums for a couple reasons.

1. I don't have to weed through a bunch of stuff I don't want (or at least not as often) to find what I am looking for. If everything was placed in 4 forums people would have to do a lot more digging to find what they want.

2. If you saw something a few months ago that you need to read again it is much easier to find if people use the correct forum. If they where all bunched up you would be much harder time finding something on "painting with oils". Right now you would just have to go through the paint forum instead of digging through a ton of other stuff.

Just my thoughts on things.
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 08:01 PM UTC
Jim,

You got it. The main headers would be the same as now;

Modeling Forums (English)

Modeling Forums (Non-English)

Site Related

Off-Topic Clubs (require registration and opt-in)

They would have all the same sub forums. I think the main forum page is beginning to be a bit full. You might even be able to fine tune the main headers a bit more. Dio, scratch building, figures, etc might come under a separte heading. This way the main forum page is only 4 to 5 headers.
 _GOTOTOP