_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
E100 / Maus
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 796 posts
Armorama: 574 posts
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2002 - 09:01 PM UTC
Has anyone else wonder why the Germans would curve the front of the turret? It seems the experience from the King Tigers would have put them onto a better shape. Anyone know what the hull roof armor was to be? Looks like a small caliber gun might hit the front of the turret and deflect into the hull (shot trap). Might be a idea here for a dio, M4 knocks out Maus with a "Lucky Shot".
Sohcahtoa
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 35 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2002 - 09:12 PM UTC
According to Achtung Panzer the superstructure roof was 50-100mm thick that should be plenty of armor to defend against a shot that has bounced off the turret.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2002 - 10:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Has anyone else wonder why the Germans would curve the front of the turret? It seems the experience from the King Tigers would have put them onto a better shape. Anyone know what the hull roof armor was to be? Looks like a small caliber gun might hit the front of the turret and deflect into the hull (shot trap). Might be a idea here for a dio, M4 knocks out Maus with a "Lucky Shot".

Steve--did you build the Maus kit?
DJ
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2002 - 10:39 PM UTC
I didn't think any Maus tanks actually were involved in any action. Is that not true?

Jim
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2002 - 11:08 PM UTC
DJ,

I built it and have been working on it off and on to rebuild it with what I think would be a production turret. Got the idea from some guys over at aol when I was there.

Turret

Jim,

There has been some dicussion on some of the other sites that one might have been involved in some action near the testing grounds with the Russians. I've never seen any proof of this though.

Bob,

50mm to 100mm of roof armor still might not have been good enough agains a deflected shot from one of the russian heaver tank guns.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2002 - 11:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I didn't think any Maus tanks actually were involved in any action. Is that not true?

Jim

I am almost finished reading Beevors "Battle for Berlin," a superb book, there is no mention of the Maus in Berlin. I would imagine it was still at the testing ground. If it engaged anyone, it was probably dragged there as a huge pillbox.
DJ
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2002 - 11:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

DJ,

I built it and have been working on it off and on to rebuild it with what I think would be a production turret. Got the idea from some guys over at aol when I was there.

Turret

Jim,

There has been some dicussion on some of the other sites that one might have been involved in some action near the testing grounds with the Russians. I've never seen any proof of this though.

Bob,

50mm to 100mm of roof armor still might not have been good enough agains a deflected shot from one of the russian heaver tank guns.

Steve---I guess one of these days, I will take it off the top shelf of the model holding area and start to build it. I understand that the tracks are terrible.
thanks
DJ
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 02:35 AM UTC
DJ,

Tracks aren't too bad. You should assemble some to help align the sprocket teeth.

Tracks
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 02:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

DJ,

Tracks aren't too bad. You should assemble some to help align the sprocket teeth.

Tracks

Steve--now you have my attention. Did you go OOB for the tracks and assemble process?
DJ
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 03:29 AM UTC
I built the other maus kit (not the E 100) a few years ago. I had no complaints about the tracks that I can remember. It was a pretty easy build and was mostly oob. I had to box in the engine grills and used "spars" to keep the upper hull straight. Other than that, no issues.
BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Armorama: 148 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 04:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jim

I was going over a Russian site last night. It says that Maus "A" with the completed turret was used in action in the final days. It had a mechanical breakdown and the crew blew it up (there was a picture with the whole right side of the vehicle blown off!). The Russians took the intact hull of Maus "B" that they captured at the tank proving grounds, and mounted the turret from Maus "A" on it after recovering it from the wreckage. They have this cannabilized vehicle now in their armor museum at Kubinka. Do a search for Kubinka, and you can find several good pictures of their Maus
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 08:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Jim

I was going over a Russian site last night. It says that Maus "A" with the completed turret was used in action in the final days. It had a mechanical breakdown and the crew blew it up (there was a picture with the whole right side of the vehicle blown off!). The Russians took the intact hull of Maus "B" that they captured at the tank proving grounds, and mounted the turret from Maus "A" on it after recovering it from the wreckage. They have this cannabilized vehicle now in their armor museum at Kubinka. Do a search for Kubinka, and you can find several good pictures of their Maus

Wow! Great research job
DJ
 _GOTOTOP