Hosted by Darren Baker
What should I do now?
braillescale
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 43 posts
Armorama: 39 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 12:45 PM UTC
I just completed the Revell King Tiger w/aftermarket zimm., onlyto discover the tracks (hard type) are incorrect - that is, they are supposed to stretch from idler to drive wheel over the top, rather than "drape".

I am amazed that all the good reviews I have read about this kit never mentioned this.
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 2,220 posts
Armorama: 1,707 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 02:44 PM UTC
Paint it, and be happy?
Gearbox
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 52 posts
Armorama: 19 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 03:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I just completed the Revell King Tiger w/aftermarket zimm., onlyto discover the tracks (hard type) are incorrect - that is, they are supposed to stretch from idler to drive wheel over the top, rather than "drape".

I am amazed that all the good reviews I have read about this kit never mentioned this.

Braillescale,
Try Fruiulmodel's aftermarket tracks. IMO they are the best out there. Made of white metal and easy to assemble. You might also try Modelkasten. Although the assembly is to much for my tastes. Good luck!
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,412 posts
Armorama: 1,174 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 03:01 PM UTC
il add to what john said,: be happy i didnt build it for you :-)

Frank
kglack43
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 842 posts
Armorama: 607 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 04:20 PM UTC
just a thought...is there a way to "cheat" the wheels to make a better fit? move the wheels a tiny bit to take up the slack? the slight re-alignment of the wheels may not be as noticed as your tracks are now...have a pic?...may we have a look?

Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 11:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Braillescale,
Try Fruiulmodel's aftermarket tracks. IMO they are the best out there. Made of white metal and easy to assemble. You might also try Modelkasten. Although the assembly is to much for my tastes. Good luck!

FYI "Braille Scale" is slang for 1/72 scale armor. Doubtful Fruils would fit onto a 3 inch long tank.

Just finish it up and have fun.
braillescale
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2005 - 04:48 AM UTC
Sorry guys, I posted to the wrong forum.

I know what I can do - I can either
1. buy a second kit just for the tracks
2. try to soften and bend the tracks
3. cast new tracks in resin (if I knew how)
4. curse loudly, push kit aside, start new kit.

My complaint was that the Revell kits in 1/72 alway are highly reviewed on 1/72 sites - but this glaring error was never mentioned!
McBain
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 37 posts
Armorama: 35 posts
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2005 - 07:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

the tracks (hard type) are incorrect - that is, they are supposed to stretch from idler to drive wheel over the top, rather than "drape".

Are they really that inaccurate? I think the top run just needs a bit of curvature adding. Photos of Tiger IIs show varying degrees of track slackness and tension. It might be possible to remove the top run of track and add some curvature by gently bending it and then reattaching it.
braillescale
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2005 - 03:49 AM UTC
Thank you everybody for your help. I replaced the incomplete hard tracks with "rubber band" types from another King Tiger model - w/different tred pattern.

I won't be entering this in any competitions (I think . . .)
propboy44256
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
Armorama: 454 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2005 - 06:20 AM UTC
Buy the Revell/M..... P61 Black Widow 1/48th scale plane. A good diversion and a good kit.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2005 - 03:53 PM UTC
With the fenders in place, the upper run of tracks are pretty well hidden anyway.
 _GOTOTOP