_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
experts help!
godfather
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 817 posts
Armorama: 465 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 01:54 PM UTC
I bought a dragon pz 3 ausf K. Well this model does not seem to exsist in my squadron book, it is mentioned in another but it never saw service? HELP what model most closely resembles this I bought PE parts for the aufs j .
BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Armorama: 148 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 02:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I bought a dragon pz 3 ausf K. Well this model does not seem to exsist in my squadron book, it is mentioned in another but it never saw service? HELP what model most closely resembles this I bought PE parts for the aufs j .

The Mk 3K was a command tank built along-side the Mk 3L and 3M in 1942-43. Most retained their 50mm KwK 39 L/60, but there is 1 picture in Deutsche Panzer 1917-1945 by Uwe Feist with the gun removed to allow more space for radios. Standard radio fit was 1x FUG6 and 1x FUG7 with a star aerial fitted to the left rear corner of the engine deck, 1 ammo rack being given up to make space for the extra radio gear.
All of the pictures show turret schurtzen fitted and most have some side skirts or at least mounting rails. The 1 picture that identifies a unit identifies it as "the final version of the Bef. Pz. 3, Ausf. K with the Division Grossdeutschland, Fall 1943."
The picture at opposite bottom from the Mk 3L write up page in Squadron/Signal showing a Mk 3 command tank and a Pz.Jg. 38M in the snow is identified by Uwe Feist as being a Mk 3K. Toward the back of the book, there is a section on PanzerBefehlsWagen 3's that mentions the late conversions with the long 50mm gun, but does not identify it as an Ausf. K
Linz
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 181 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 03:05 PM UTC
The PzKpfw III Ausf K was an unsuccesful attempt at mounting a PzKpfw IV Ausf G turret onto a PzKpfw III Ausf J. However, I believe that the Dragon kit is actually a Panzerbefehlswagen III Ausf K, which is a command tank based on the Ausf M featuring, extra radio's and additional equipment. Unlike previous command tanks, the Ausf K was fitted with a 50mm L/60 gun.

This should clear that duplication right up

As for your PE set, some pieces could most definatly be used, after all the Ausf M was a modified Ausf L, which was a modified Ausf J (late) and visually was almost identical. Differences between the Ausf J and Ausf L were:
- new torsion bar gun balance
- increased armour
- modified rear deck
- some hatches removed
- first model to feature an AA machine gun on the commanders coupla.

An Ausf M was an Ausf L with wading equipment and new smoke dischargers.

There is a very good outline of the PzKpfw III family at Achtung Panzer, as well as a couple of threads that may help on ML.

Question about the Panzerbefehlswagen III Ausf. K
Need help with Panzer III Ausf. K
Help! Pzbflswg. III Ausf. K

Cheers,
Linz
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 07:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The PzKpfw III Ausf K was an unsuccesful attempt at mounting a PzKpfw IV Ausf G turret onto a PzKpfw III Ausf J. However, I believe that the Dragon kit is actually a Panzerbefehlswagen III Ausf K, which is a command tank based on the Ausf M featuring, extra radio's and additional equipment. Unlike previous command tanks, the Ausf K was fitted with a 50mm L/60 gun.

This should clear that duplication right up

As for your PE set, some pieces could most definatly be used, after all the Ausf M was a modified Ausf L, which was a modified Ausf J (late) and visually was almost identical. Differences between the Ausf J and Ausf L were:
- new torsion bar gun balance
- increased armour
- modified rear deck
- some hatches removed
- first model to feature an AA machine gun on the commanders coupla.

An Ausf M was an Ausf L with wading equipment and new smoke dischargers.

There is a very good outline of the PzKpfw III family at Achtung Panzer, as well as a couple of threads that may help on ML.

Question about the Panzerbefehlswagen III Ausf. K
Need help with Panzer III Ausf. K
Help! Pzbflswg. III Ausf. K

Cheers,
Linz

Dead on this kit
has a four star rating at Squadron
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 595 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 11:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

it is mentioned in another but it never saw service? HELP what model most closely resembles this I bought PE parts for the aufs j .

Hi GF ..........there was only a production of about 50 of these tank's ( from Dec 1942 - Feb.1943 ). It was suppose to be originally , an order for 200. Among other production matter's, one reason for the reduction, was Pz Kpfw III production was being terminated and
it had been decided to convert Pz. III's to Befehlswagen from early 1943.
......HOWEVER, the Ausf K were issued as replacements for the heavy losses sustained during the winter of 1942 - 43. The Ausf K 's were maintained as "command vehicles " until 1944 in armored detachments which, otherwise, were completely equipped
with Pz Kpfw IV's ........so yes, they saw action

ALSO - THE "AUSF K " HAD THE SAME HULL & SUPERSTRUCTURE AS THE "AUSF M "
WITH THE EXCEPTION OF ADDITIONAL VISION & PISTOL PORTS ON THE SUPERSTRUCTURE SIDES.

Hope this helps,
- ralph
 _GOTOTOP