Hosted by Darren Baker
Trailer History
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,352 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2005 - 11:29 PM UTC
Has anybody read the history of semi trailers, to how Fruehauf was the first company in 1914 to make semi trailers, to how it was pulled by a 1911 Ford.

To how the first trailer was crafted to haul pleasure craft to the lake and back, then they decided they could haul lumber with it, so the demand grew.

Then the fifth-wheel was patented in 1919 looking close to what it does today, not much changes in a good design.

They had earlier hookups but they took 3 men to hook and unhook the trailer. By 1915 Trailmobile had made it's start also, cause everybody wanted a trailer to haul things in.

By WWII there was all kinds of companies Timpte out of Colorado, Trailmobile called it that, cause it trailed the vehicle pulling it, but they all worked to help in the war effort.

I never knew some of these trailer companies were that old, that been around sense the first couple years of trailer making, like Timpte, they had such a hand changing in the 80's, I thought that was when they started, cause that is when I finally seen them on a big scale after that.

But here they have been around sense day 3 or 4, some of the workers for Fruehauf went on their own, and started their own companies.

I just thought maybe a few might be interested in this.
Kerry
 _GOTOTOP