Hosted by Darren Baker
Revell M34 progress
pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,017 posts
Armorama: 752 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 26, 2005 - 12:38 PM UTC
If you have ever built this kit you probably no its quality its not that great. But for the price its not bad if you are wanting to practice a little scratchbuilding. And thats what I did.
First the doors there was no way I wanted to build the kit with door hinges the way they were so I did away with them completely and made my own door. I used thin plexi glass that luckly was the same thickness and used the the kit doors for a template. After I had the doors cut I carefully shave the door handles off the kit doors with my x-acto knife and glued them in place.

The canvas tops just did not suit me so I used the tissue and deluted glue technique I have never tried this before but it really helped the detail of the kit. The only other thing I did was added windsheild wipers. They really tough to make I did not get them exactly the same but Im just know feeling comfortable at doing these conversions. The pictures below are not finished Im just fixing to cover it with future.So let me no what you think.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 26, 2005 - 01:12 PM UTC
This kit goes back to 1956 or there abouts. I built one as a kid in the 70s and again a couple years ago in the Revell of Germany boxing. Really crude compared to the AFV Club M35A2 that is out, but not bad when you consider it is coming around to the 50 year old mark.
pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,017 posts
Armorama: 752 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 26, 2005 - 01:32 PM UTC
Thanx for the kit history Robin I had no idea it was that old of a kit. Im surprized its still available.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 26, 2005 - 01:46 PM UTC
PFC,
Looks pretty good. Couple more things you could do to improve it. First, replace the fuel can on the driver's running board with a better one. The kit one is quite blobby. If you are up for just a bit more scratch building, The right side step actually has a storage box behind it. If you box in the area behind it, almost up to the frame, it will look better. One last comment, on the cab roof. In the kit, it is a hard top version. If you are doing it as a soft top, the canvas needs to come all the way down to the level that the doors meet the back wall. The other option is to remove the canvas on the cab roof and leave it as a hard top cab

Good job on an old kit. It is surprizing that it still has legs today and is still around.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 26, 2005 - 01:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanx for the kit history Robin I had no idea it was that old of a kit. Im surprized its still available.

Here is an auction to a 1966 issue of the kit: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2588&item=5964510676&rd=1

Also if you read the auction description, it states the original was made in 1957, so I was a year off. It still holds up well for a 48 year old kit.
mondo
Visit this Community
Mindanao, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Armorama: 465 posts
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2005 - 06:09 PM UTC
The one I have has already been chopped for parts. I had a horrible time with this kit.
 _GOTOTOP