Hosted by Darren Baker
Group Build: Panther A
Dubanka
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 152 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 04:51 AM UTC
Judging from the polls, it seems like 20 of us want to build a Panther, so I'll start out.

Since I started the group build idea, I feel kinda obligated to keep up with all 3. I'll start this weekend and post next week. I havent built german armor in over 15 years, so I'll be leaning on you guys heavily. The kit seems pretty nice, but I question the barrel...this is a OOB build, but I'm thinking about adding the option for an AM barrel, like the M4A1 build, but need suggestions.....

Whaddaya think?

John
Bombshell
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 293 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 05:30 AM UTC
I am up for it also :-)

I don't know for sure that there is anything wrong with the gun, but I have read that the hull is too short. One easy way to "correct" the problem is to glue the turret a bit to the rear, giving the illusion that the hull is the correct size.
Check the various reviews and build ups around the net to figure out what else is wrong with the Italeri kit.

Cheers,

CDT Reimund Manneck
U.S. Army ROTC
MGoddard
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 37 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 06:58 AM UTC
I plan on building this along with you guys, I am just waiting for it to arrive from modelexpo. Any idea on their normal ship time ? As of yet, I have yet to receive the confirmation shipping email....
Dubanka
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 07:58 AM UTC
If you order early in the week, you should get it by friday, anything after WED usually the next week.

John
MGoddard
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2002 - 11:39 AM UTC
my kit came in today !!!

woohoo, should start on it Monday - I'll post in progress pics if I can get my digicam back from my girlfriend

Anyone else made any progress yet ? How is the kits fit and finish ? This is only my second WWII kit and can only compare to Tamiya. Which I was really impressed with.
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2002 - 11:50 AM UTC
I don't think I'll be taking part in this group build, but I do know from reviews that this kit does have a number of fot problems and inaccuracies. I suggested doing a search on Google or something for reviews on the Italeri Panther A. One tip I can give is to sand the supplied zimmerit down to make it more thin and to scale.
Have fun,

Nic
Bombshell
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2002 - 12:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

my kit came in today !!!

woohoo, should start on it Monday - I'll post in progress pics if I can get my digicam back from my girlfriend

Anyone else made any progress yet ? How is the kits fit and finish ? This is only my second WWII kit and can only compare to Tamiya. Which I was really impressed with.

That's cool Mike! Mine hasn't arrived yet.
How are the tracks on the kit? I have read a couple of reviews on the net but they never mention the tracks. Are they individual links, link and lenght or vinyl?

Also, have you though about how you are going to finish your Panther? I am thinking of a winter scheme or a tiger stripe camo.

Cheers,

CDT Reimund Manneck
U.S. Army ROTC
BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Armorama: 148 posts
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2002 - 02:05 PM UTC
I've got one about 1/2 done---Its not too bad, no major problems with getting things together for a straight-out-of-the-box build. It comes with black vinyl tracks, 2 sections for each side. Detail is moulded on both sides, with small ejection marks on the inside every once and a while that have to be handled. The gun barrel could stand replacing as it is faceted, but can be worked into shape with some effort. The moulded zimmerit parts have the vertical ridged pattern that is only correct ,as is, for rebuilt Ausf D's without the secondary cross hatching
Bombshell
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 12:49 AM UTC
Found these pictures around the net........now I know what Panther I will be building :-)

Cheers,

CDT Reimund Manneck
U.S. Army ROTC
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 12:58 AM UTC
I am pretty late to this discussion, but may I ask why do the Italeri kit, while the Dragon one is so much better?
MGoddard
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 01:06 AM UTC
Still in the plastic, otherwise I'll loose parts if I open it since I have no permanent modelling location. We are doing the otaleri because it is part of the group build that we got the thing for like $7.

I'm all for it, gonna help me learn more about modelling since this is my second model
BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 03:20 PM UTC
Are we Go/NoGo on the Italerie Panther A? I haven't seen any traffic here in a couple of days.
Dubanka
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 10:04 PM UTC
Itg seems like there is a moderate interest in the Panther build. (all 3 or 4 of us) I'm game for it , but I'm gonna do an OOB, with a few minor scratchbuilt details. No kit zimmerit for me, from the research I've done, it's wrong. Correct me if wrong though.
It will start on the 1st , same parameters as the Sherman build

John
Bombshell
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 11:55 PM UTC
Well, I will build it no matter what!
I've really wanted to check out this model for quite some time, but have always been afraid of picking it up because of all the things that have been said about it. A group build would be a good excuse to get it

On a side note, there seems to be a lack of interest for WWII German armor on this website. I for one have not build or own that many German armor, but I still love the plethora of tanks that came out of that country and that era.

Cheers,

CDT Reimund Manneck
U.S. Army ROTC
BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2002 - 06:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Itg seems like there is a moderate interest in the Panther build. (all 3 or 4 of us) I'm game for it , but I'm gonna do an OOB, with a few minor scratchbuilt details. No kit zimmerit for me, from the research I've done, it's wrong. Correct me if wrong though.
It will start on the 1st , same parameters as the Sherman build

John

The zimmerit isn't too bad, but it is all of the vertical raked variety. If you go "by the book", it should have a cross hatch added, but the book got a monkey wrench thrown in it (check out the thread on the Panzer 4 build), so it might be right for the vehicle Italerie used as their Master.
 _GOTOTOP