_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Painting exhausts
RottenFuhrer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 284 posts
Armorama: 196 posts
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2005 - 01:58 AM UTC
I've seen plenty of photos of excellently painted exhaust systems on many AFV's but does anyone have a "how to" on acheiving this look??
rudie
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
KitMaker: 123 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2005 - 02:09 AM UTC
What I do is paint them in a base coat of dark rust, then using a wet brush add some salt in several places and spray a sort of pink colour over the exhaust and repeat the process several times using different shades of pink. When the last coat is dry I scratch away the salt and it is ready. Take a look at some old exhaust pipe of a car, notice how you gat many shades of "pink" as a result of the hot gasses that heat up the metal and how it flakes to reveal the different layers.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2005 - 02:19 AM UTC
Model Master Burnt Iron metalizer with reddish brown pastel dust mixed in. Black wash. Drybrush with some reddish brown paint. make sure the inside of the exhaust is flat black. Add some black pastel dust as exhaust stainto the very tip and on the surface nearest teh exhaus, fading away from the exhaust.
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2005 - 04:02 PM UTC
I have a very simple technique ...I use humbrol chocolate brown color as a base coat and while it is still wet I grind up a bunch of different brown and rust colored pastels ..I also use some black pastel as well... I take an old brush and add the finely ground pastels into the wet paint I mix up the colors and make it very random...If you see the pastels aren't holding just add some more paint and go over the part again ..I takes about 5 minutes to do an exhaust and I think they come out pretty good...

Rick
 _GOTOTOP