Hosted by Darren Baker
Eduard 1:16 Schwimmwagen
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Armorama: 1,088 posts
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2005 - 09:11 PM UTC
Over at PMMS there is a wellwritten review of the new Eduard Schwimmwagen i scale 1:16

Having buildt the kit I must say I agree with the conclusions in the review.

You can find the review here: http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/eduard/ed6106.htm

Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 02:26 AM UTC
Not something I see as a "must buy". It does not sound as nice as the Tamiya 1/16 Kubelwagen. I saw that kit in person (the Africa Korps version) and knew I had to have one. I guess it would depend on the price for me to get one.
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 2,220 posts
Armorama: 1,707 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 04:32 AM UTC
Can this be made into a beauty? Yes. Will it take hours and hours, maybe even a year, yep. Will I buy one? Nope, having spent more than enough time detailing the heck out of the Tamyia Schwimmer, I dont see the fun in doing even more work for a larger version with less detail to start!

IMHO unless it was a gift, I would skip this one.
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 05:16 AM UTC
I have built it, this is my experience with it:

Building review of Eduard 1:16 Schwimmwagen.

Building the kit was not without issues, but was generally very straitforward.

General "problems"

Due to the lack of locating pins/holes some good referencematerial is needed. The position of parts is in some cases shown with light markings in
the opposit part - in other cases you have to rely on instructions.

Some parts is a little on the thick side and lacks details.

The fit of upper and lover hull, the base for rear seats and the wall between crew and engine compartment requires care and some putty to look god. I decided to leave off some parts until I had filled the crack between
the hullparts with putty. The fit on rear suspension/driveaxels is tricky, I decided to drill trough the parts and ad pins to secure a god and precise
fit. Detailing of driveaxels is noexistant.

Moulding quality is not as crisp as other makes, compared with the Tamiya Kübelwagen this kit rates lover in details and moulding quality.

Some details is missing, the MG mount in front is sopposed to go trough the hull and is welded on to the inside of the hull, the swiwelmount is missing on the rear mount.

One of the pros about this kit is the supplied photoetch - but, a lot of the etch is concentrated around items to make pennats and markings for a well
known staffcar - but other, and more relevant, parts is missing. A short list of "missing" photoetch: Holders for weapons on the bar behind frontseats, straps for toolbox under dashboard (part ), mounts for MG front
and rear (one moulded kitpart is included) strap for holding propeller in stored position, small pins and chain for MG mounts and for plug on PTO
drive for propeller.

Instructions are generally fine, but slightly unclear in some areas: the toolbox under dashboard is supposed to be placed under the dashboard. My
referances show that box to be protruding from under the dashboard and be fasted more visually than the kit offers oppertunity for.

Storage for the PTO plug is missing form instructions,but are supplied with kit.

Decals is some of the best i have ever seen - high quality, very thin carrierfilm, sharp and veldefined print.

The tires are simply great, soft and wellmoulded with sharp details and good definition - but har bigger than the Tamiya counterpart.

Pictures will be coming.
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 08:34 PM UTC
Damn i“m slow :-)
Pics here: http://photos.kitmaker.net/showgallery.php/cat/14349

rjray
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 230 posts
Armorama: 149 posts
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2005 - 10:01 PM UTC
It does seem to be a bit of a let-down, especially when you compare it to the quality of their current-run 1/72 and 1/48 aircraft.

I have the Tamiya Kubel, and I've wanted a Schwimm for a while, now. I'd also love to see a good ol' Jeep (without paying for the VLS one). Maybe Mr. Tamiya will bring us one in time for Christmas...
 _GOTOTOP