_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
XM1 prototype pics (never seen before)
crockett
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 370 posts
Armorama: 302 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 03:27 AM UTC
I thought I would post a few photos from my private stash. I was a tank commander during the XM1 prototype operational testing, so I know you can't find these in any book. Please feel free to copy and use them as you wish.

If anyone has any questions about the development of the vehicle at this stage, I will be glad to answer them based on my experiences.

Regards,

Steve

This is PV 5, my assigned tank for OT's 1, 2, and 3- note the blow off panels and CWS. My crew logged over 17,000 kilometers and fired over 5,000 main gun rnds. with this vehicle at locations all over the U.S....

Again, PV5, I'm driving here getting those "air' shots for ABC 20/20 film crews. They aired a special in 1979 on the XM1......

I went to work for Chrysler Defense (later GD) after production started and here is a group pic of our team giving demo rides to a German delegation from the Leopard team, taken at the Lima Army tank Plant in 1981.

enjoy
tankshack
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 03:36 AM UTC
Steve,

Thanks for sharing... these pics SHOULD be in a book... there's no doubt that the Abrams has been a huge success and the work that you were involved in was very significant!

If you have more, I would love to see them.

Later,
Tim
crockett
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 03:43 AM UTC
Well, I do have many more, I just have to get around to sizing and scanning. I worked at the Lima Tank plant for sixteen years, until major production of the vehicle was completed.

Again, of anyone is curious about the development phase and/or how these machines were built and tested, let me know, I'll tell you everything except what is still classified.

Steve
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 2,220 posts
Armorama: 1,707 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 05:30 AM UTC
Crockett, thank you very much for sharing pictures from your personal collection. You should definitly consider a book!
MikeMummey
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 672 posts
Armorama: 653 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 07:09 AM UTC
TANGO for the pics!
MikeMummey
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 672 posts
Armorama: 653 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 07:21 PM UTC
Howdy Crockett, did you go to Ft Wainwright and Yuma Proving ground with those pigs? I remember seeing some "Generous Dynamics" propaganda photos that were supposedly taken in Alaska. The tank had some winter camo. Do you know if it was the real deal or a retouched photo? Out here.
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,352 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 07:57 PM UTC
Wasn't the Hummer built in that general neighborhood to, seems I heard something about it on the local news, cause that isn't to far from my house.

Kerry
crockett
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 03:38 PM UTC
Well, we did spend many a long day and night at White Sands. We tested a prototype aluminum track there, and collected high temperature data concerning the turbine engine, running 100K's at full throttle. We tested the "Dover" crew served weapons system there as well. Alas, the Dover Devil never made it into service.

I do remember the GD prototype for the Hummer ending up at the Lima Tank Plant after GD lost the contract to AM General in the early 80's. The powers that be gave the vehicle to Plant Security. It looked pretty cool.

regards,

Steve
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 02:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

. We tested the "Dover" crew served weapons system there as well. Alas, the Dover Devil never made it into service.

I

Steve,

What the heck is that?

KingEdens
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 - 01:01 PM UTC
Steve,

My father is Michael, he was on the NET team and a crewman in Germany. Can you recall him?
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 - 02:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

. We tested the "Dover" crew served weapons system there as well. Alas, the Dover Devil never made it into service.

I

Steve,

What the heck is that?

Scott,
It was a prototype machine gun for the TC's position that allowed switching between AP and HE rounds. I also seem to remember that it had a huge rate of fire... I heard about it in 1985, when I was a newly commissioned 2LT of Armor from one of my instructors, who was at Knox in the early 80's. It would been neat to see but I, for one am glad that they stuck with the "ol' faithful" the Ma Deuce... But since Steve mentioned it, he should fully describe it.

To echo Mike M, thanks for the pics...

I do have questions about the diesel (?) engined prototype that is at Ft Campbell as a monument tank. Looks like a Chrysler produced XM1 with cut outs in the vicinity of the hull sponson boxes are located (hell, it might be where the pre-cleaner/v-packs are located) and has M60 style air cleaner boxes placed in the sponson box's place.

John
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 - 09:54 PM UTC
Dover Devil .50 cal MG :

Related thread

H.P.
crockett
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2013 - 08:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Steve,

My father is Michael, he was on the NET team and a crewman in Germany. Can you recall him?

Sorry, I left the service in December of 80, well before European deployment. I went to work at Lima in Dec of 80
crockett
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2013 - 08:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I

Steve,

What the heck is that?

Scott,
It was a prototype machine gun for the TC's position that allowed switching between AP and HE rounds. I also seem to remember that it had a huge rate of fire... I heard about it in 1985, when I was a newly commissioned 2LT of Armor from one of my instructors, who was at Knox in the early 80's. It would been neat to see but I, for one am glad that they stuck with the "ol' faithful" the Ma Deuce... But since Steve mentioned it, he should fully describe it.

To echo Mike M, thanks for the pics...

I do have questions about the diesel (?) engined prototype that is at Ft Campbell as a monument tank. Looks like a Chrysler produced XM1 with cut outs in the vicinity of the hull sponson boxes are located (hell, it might be where the pre-cleaner/v-packs are located) and has M60 style air cleaner boxes placed in the sponson box's place.

John

We actually had not only the .50, but a full set of 7.62 crew served Dover Devils and, personal weapons as well. 9mm SBR with full auto capability...nicknamed the "dinky dover Devils"

The .50 was configured for "dual feed". The TC could select from either ammo box during firing.

As to the GM prototype hull..(later known as the HIMAG), it was an Allison powered 1500 HP Air cooled Diesel. The turret of this vehicle was actually preferred by the Army, as the original Chrysler turret did not lend well to the Special Armor packaging for mass production. So basically, Chrysler ripped off the GM turret design and, with the turbine powered hull, won the contract, and the general design of todays Abrams was born.

During testing, the diesel faltered during the weighted sled pull test, as the turbine had superior torque at low throttle settings. Plus, my perception was politically, the Army really wanted the turbine version, citing reduced long term maintenance costs. Engine overhaul and replacement (longevity) was supposedly superior with the Turbine.
crockett
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2013 - 08:21 AM UTC
These pics are from 1981. We traveled to FT.Hood to give tech support for the role out of the first operational battalion of M1's in the US Army...2/64 Armor. We rode along as civilian techs on the field problem:

gcdavidson
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Armorama: 1,563 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2013 - 10:59 AM UTC
1979... hard to believe 3+ decades!
crockett
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2013 - 02:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

1979... hard to believe 3+ decades!

Yeah and Tom Clancy passed away yesterday.ng ......I better start making my own arrangements...I suddenly realized I'm a dinosaur
tommytanker
KitMaker: 44 posts
Armorama: 34 posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2013 - 01:58 PM UTC
I can tell you guys that in 1975 I was at H.L.M.R. and Armor Co. C was tasked with experimenting with Different weapons for the TC's weapon for the XM-1. We had a modified cupola and used everything from an M-60 to a 40mm, The 40mm was most fun as it fired in 3 rnd bursts and would have sucked as antiAir though! We also had a 20mm from a M-114! We all recommended staying with the .50 cal!!! Good Hunting, TT
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 08, 2013 - 06:43 AM UTC
somebody asked about the tanks being in Alaska. Yes there were at least two of them up there. They were being tested for extreme cold weather usage and also doing some testing with the thermo imaging gun sight. They were camoed in a two tone charcoal grey and white (maybe a brown), and we had two large photos of them hanging on the wall at work.

Isreal was very interested in buying the diesel powered M1 tank (before the Merkava). We had them in for a visit before production had started, and they actually drove the diesel tank somewhere.

The gas turbine was built by Avco (a division of Lycoming), and they came very close to loosing the contract to supply them. We were testing two other power packs that use gas turbines from Allison and Garrett. They went thru the 25,000 hour tests and calibration without a hitch. These were installed and tested at Warren Park for sure and maybe elsewhere. Then there was also a parallel development of the X1100-5 that was to use a diesel engine with similar horse power. This one is close but not exactly the same as the older transmission that was used in the diesel engine prototype. All three versions are very similar except for the step down internal gearing. Selection of the prototypes was about 75% political.

With the exception of two test cells, every M1 tank gear box is tested via a V16 diesel engine. There is a third test cell that also uses a v16 diesel engine, but from Cummins. This test cell are used for destructive testing, and can be brutal. The other two use gas turbines, and just do the 25K hour tests. All production tests are via a Detroit V16 diesel engine flowing thru a Cotta step up gear box into the X1100 transmission. All slippage is measured via a multi encoder setup that reads down to one ten thousandth of an inch. None fail! (whether diesel or turbine) I might add that it's a rare thing for a gear box to fail the seven hour test, but have seen about a half dozen over the years. I did see one do a complete self destruct due to a bad valve body casting.

The X1100 gear box ( no matter what power plant) was a true maggot box. Was a TACOM design, and just wouldn't work. Prototypes were built in the tool room in Speedway, and they usually failed in less than 500 hours! (17 of them in the first batch). Tacom did a redesign of the hydro static assembly and it failed. They did a third redesign with the same results. We told them it wouldn't work, but they are also rather hard headed. Bought about fifty transmissions at over a half million a piece (tool room work is costly). Finally they asked us to fix it, and we did. (that's why Allison holds all the patents on the hydrostatic drive). Suspect the prototypes tested used the maggot box instead of the true production models. The production models were not built till 1980! Another reason I said politics as there were no production versions out there due to the lack of four or five pieces of machinery in Plant 14 (Apex broach being number one issue)

glt
crockett
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 - 02:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

somebody asked about the tanks being in Alaska. Yes there were at least two of them up there. They were being tested for extreme cold weather usage and also doing some testing with the thermo imaging gun sight. They were camoed in a two tone charcoal grey and white (maybe a brown), and we had two large photos of them hanging on the wall at work.

Isreal was very interested in buying the diesel powered M1 tank (before the Merkava). We had them in for a visit before production had started, and they actually drove the diesel tank somewhere.

The gas turbine was built by Avco (a division of Lycoming), and they came very close to loosing the contract to supply them. We were testing two other power packs that use gas turbines from Allison and Garrett. They went thru the 25,000 hour tests and calibration without a hitch. These were installed and tested at Warren Park for sure and maybe elsewhere. Then there was also a parallel development of the X1100-5 that was to use a diesel engine with similar horse power. This one is close but not exactly the same as the older transmission that was used in the diesel engine prototype. All three versions are very similar except for the step down internal gearing. Selection of the prototypes was about 75% political.

With the exception of two test cells, every M1 tank gear box is tested via a V16 diesel engine. There is a third test cell that also uses a v16 diesel engine, but from Cummins. This test cell are used for destructive testing, and can be brutal. The other two use gas turbines, and just do the 25K hour tests. All production tests are via a Detroit V16 diesel engine flowing thru a Cotta step up gear box into the X1100 transmission. All slippage is measured via a multi encoder setup that reads down to one ten thousandth of an inch. None fail! (whether diesel or turbine) I might add that it's a rare thing for a gear box to fail the seven hour test, but have seen about a half dozen over the years. I did see one do a complete self destruct due to a bad valve body casting.

The X1100 gear box ( no matter what power plant) was a true maggot box. Was a TACOM design, and just wouldn't work. Prototypes were built in the tool room in Speedway, and they usually failed in less than 500 hours! (17 of them in the first batch). Tacom did a redesign of the hydro static assembly and it failed. They did a third redesign with the same results. We told them it wouldn't work, but they are also rather hard headed. Bought about fifty transmissions at over a half million a piece (tool room work is costly). Finally they asked us to fix it, and we did. (that's why Allison holds all the patents on the hydrostatic drive). Suspect the prototypes tested used the maggot box instead of the true production models. The production models were not built till 1980! Another reason I said politics as there were no production versions out there due to the lack of four or five pieces of machinery in Plant 14 (Apex broach being number one issue)

glt

There were three trips to Alaska (Ft. Greely) during Op Test 2. We tested with two tanks, PV-4 and PV-13. Thermal imaging resolution, mobility and ballistic confirmation of fire control software in sub zero conditions as well. Cold weather start up, hydraulic system performance (cold weather) etc.

We worked very closely with Les Churney from Detroit Diesel Allison and the X100B transmission development. By 1977, the PV tanks had the Avco Lycoming AGT 1500 Turbine and the X1100B transmission. The air intake filtration was our main issue at the start of Op Test 1. Total redesign of the main filters was required. The transmission recorded virtually no major failures during the three operational tests that I was a part of. I only recall using the go home button one time, due to a valve body solenoid failure.

The first production tanks (110) vehicles are behind us in the picture I posted...Chrysler Defense, spring 1981
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 - 05:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

glt

There were three trips to Alaska (Ft. Greely) during Op Test 2. We tested with two tanks, PV-4 and PV-13. Thermal imaging resolution, mobility and ballistic confirmation of fire control software in sub zero conditions as well. Cold weather start up, hydraulic system performance (cold weather) etc.

We worked very closely with Les Churney from Detroit Diesel Allison and the X100B transmission development. By 1977, the PV tanks had the Avco Lycoming AGT 1500 Turbine and the X1100B transmission. The air intake filtration was our main issue at the start of Op Test 1. Total redesign of the main filters was required. The transmission recorded virtually no major failures during the three operational tests that I was a part of. I only recall using the go home button one time, due to a valve body solenoid failure.

The first production tanks (110) vehicles are behind us in the picture I posted...Chrysler Defense, spring 1981

It's been a long, long time since I saw those two big pictures on the wall, but it seems that they had some kind of armored CAV logo painted on the front and back. One was buried in a snow bank.

The Army guys came in for a visit, and brought in those two framed pics, and they ended up on the wall in engineering on the second floor of plant 14. During that same visit they also brought in one of the thermo gun sights for us to have a look thru. I well remember seeing foot tracks going across the concrete floor! But what got me was that you could tell a man from a women due to different hot spots!

Just about that time we were finally getting everything up to speed, and maybe building 20 transmissions a month (the X1100 is a very labor intensive gear box, and the TACOM bunch tends to create a quagmire themselves). I well remember that everything was done except for the hard chrome platting area. After the dog & pony show they had a meeting with us, TACOM, and supervision telling us what they needed, and asking us to help. In about ten days the platting room was up and running when we all put out heads together. Engineering told Tacom it would be six weeks to two months. Six months later TACOM came in and told us to do an engineering study for a 150 transmission output per month (we were setup for 100 units a month max), and that was a massive retool everywhere. Lots of new machines, that in the were never used to the full extent. Due to TACOM's design specs, gear development was a seven day a week task, and subject to near constant retooling (their specs were beyond aircraft quality). There just wasn't anything good enough out there in the early 1980's. Along about 1987 we found a new machine made in Germany that finally put us over the hump. The main case was a bear to machine, and pretty much had a solid three days of machine time in it. There were a lot of heated discussions over this and a lot of wasted money spent on it. In the end, we had it right in the first place. One major glitch was the finish deburr and clean up operation. It took seven and a half hours to do one case! I was tasked to build a robotic cell to do 70% of this operation. It was a 300% increase in out put, but added over 300% more labor! That was (and still is) the largest robotic cell ever made, plus it has the longest cycle time ever taught to one. Took over a year to build.

I left there in 1994, and thought I was finally done with that mill stone. But I ended up being tasked with retooling and developing and building all the lifting devices for that program. Was constantly retooling a dyno for them. Just couldn't get away from it. Also did the AAAV, X200, XTG411 series, and a series of still borne developments like the AFAX, and the hybrid electric SPG series.

Interestingly, I developed a friendship with the machine maintenance guys over at Lima, but only knew one guy out of Warren Park (class A idiot). I've been inside Lima two or three times, but never stepped foot in Warren Park! I've been out front of the place many times on the way to Warren Tech Center. Had TACOM used all the brain trust at Warren Tech to design and build that gear box, I'm certain they could have removed 33% from the total cost involved. These guys were as sharp as I've ever seen, and were years ahead of the game. Yet they often came down to confer on projects they had in mind. They were the guys that taught us the art of robotics when it was a "black art".
gary
Captin_Caveman_III
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,069 posts
Armorama: 1,062 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 - 06:09 AM UTC
Yup believe it 3+ decades, the M1 is that old and still going strong!!! I hope some one builds your test version some day. As your photos give grate ideas!
 _GOTOTOP