_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Tamiya KV1B and KV 1 C
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 08:30 AM UTC
This is my second shot at getting some info from more experienced Russian WW II modelers. As they say in gunnery, "lost" is the appropriate sensing command. At any rate, I have the Tamiya KV1B and KV1C enroute to me. Never built them before. Can someone tell me the differences in the the two Tamiya kits? Advice on construction?
thanks
DJ
Kraftstoff
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 93 posts
Armorama: 37 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 09:06 AM UTC
Hi COL DJ,
these are both straightforward kits....pretty simple to build...if you are into detailing....the tracks are VERY inaccurate...there are replacement (expensive) track links you can buy....some of the detail is simple like the braces over the track guards...there is photoetch (PE) you can buy as well

The kits are basically the same apart from one has a smaller 76mm gun and applique armor on the turret and hull...and build up ok SOB(straight outta de box)

cheers
Dave
Digger
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 94 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 01:25 PM UTC
Hi,

I'm in the process of building the KV1B. It goes together real easy. I'm not replacing the tracks though - I would rather buy some more kits than spend a lot on after market stuff. Just my preference - more power to all of you who can afford it. However the tracks are ordinary to say the least. i'm thinking of using some of Tamyia's Russian crew at rest to build a simple Dio.

If you use the propaganda transfers let me know how you got on putting them over the applique armour. I wasn't game enough to try - but it would look great if it works.

Happy Building
Digger :-)
Digger
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 94 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 02:14 PM UTC
Hi,

I just found an article on Track Link on how to build and weather the KV1B. Being a computer numbi I don't know how to add the link.

My advice- do search TRACK-LINK.

But someone else may be able to link you.

It's certainly worth a look for the great weathering job.

Digger
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 1,538 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 02:40 PM UTC
You meant this one?
Tamiya's KV-IB by Miguel Perez

100th post!!!
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,718 posts
Armorama: 1,130 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 03:37 PM UTC
Hi,

Some info about KV I The KV I Heavy Tank at Russian Battelefield.

HTH
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 760 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 07:52 PM UTC
The Tamiya kits aren't bad except for 2 major problems. The motorization holes and the tracks. The tracks are the old vinyl stinkers with detail only on one side. If you look at pictures from the war you will notice that there is tremendous sag in the track between the return rollers more often than not. I did extensize surgery to the KV-II I built a couple of years ago to accomplish this sag, but it still looks crappy in my opinion because there is no detail on the inside of the tracks. I would highly recommend replacing the tracks if you have room in your budget. Other things to be aware of are the tow cables should be replaced as they stink. The instructions have you melting them to make them take the shape that you want. I replaced mine with wire. Also, the exhausts are hollow and should be drilled out a bit.

DJ,
In my PM to you earlier when you asked me this question I said that the KV-1B and KV-1C had the same armament, but I was wrong. Kraftstoff is right. The KV-1B had the old L-11 version of the 76.2mm gun (same as in 1940 versions of the T-34) while the KV-1C had the better F-34 76.2mm gun (same as in 1941-43 versions of the T-34).
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 10:12 PM UTC
Amigoes--your input is fantastic and as usual right on the mark.
Thanks you for your assistance, now back to the modelling table....
DJ
 _GOTOTOP