_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
FEATURE: The Cat That Never Scratched
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 02:35 PM UTC
I will shortly be posting an article by crismag on his first outing building a diorama.

The Cat That Never Scratched

As usual if you have comments or feedback for Cris, please post it here.

Thanks Cris!

Cheers,
Jim
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 1,538 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 02:58 PM UTC
A lot of nice tips for the aftermarket-deprived diorama builder
REMEARMR
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 443 posts
Armorama: 357 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 03:40 PM UTC
Excellent work!
Liked the tip about the flower pots, always like a tip like this that can be used by everyone.
Can't wait for your next one.

Robbo
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 09:24 PM UTC
Really nice work.
Suggestion: I don't know specifically about the Panzerfaust, but it was rocket powereed, I believe. Rockets have back blast and if he's going to fire it off, the guy coming up behind him could be toast. I learned this concept from a 20 National Guard Capt. (Ret) who gave me references on the TOW and who was trained in using the LAW. (If I remember correctly, the TOW has to have 75 meters of clearance directly behind it before being fired or somebody's day is going to be ruined )
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2002 - 04:47 AM UTC
A very nice diorama. I am impressed with the way you crafted the burned out tank. Very clever work. I can't wait to see more of your work.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2002 - 09:00 PM UTC
Good job Chris. (:-)
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2002 - 11:38 PM UTC
Nice work. I just saw an episode of 'band of brothers" on tv last night. Almost identical scene (yet other tank types) in there. Good tips.
Jan
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,065 posts
Armorama: 508 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 01:20 PM UTC
Chris,

I see that you mentioned that you didn't learn that this particular Panther varient was not used during the war until after completing the dio.

I think this is the DML Panther F kit, correct? Or maybe the Panter II kit (that is almost the same as the F)? This was the first armor kit I built too, about three years ago. And, I also didn't realize it was a "fictional" kit until it was completed! But, it does go together nice.

One big error is the turret (I think the German word for this particular one is 'Schmalturn' or something). You can see how it actually overhangs the hull on two edges. That's incorrect. If you have the German Tanks of WWII book, there are some nice photos of this Panther prototype and some nice photos of this new turret including an overhead shot that clearly shows that the turret does not overlap. I think it would be really hard to correct this without some major work...

Really good job on the kit and dio! Even though this Panther never really existed, I think it looks really great! And, I know those DML track links are a pain and time consuming but don't they look nice after all the hard work?!?! You'll never want to use the 'rubber bands' now!

Hope to see more!

Steve
crismag
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 280 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 07:37 AM UTC
thank you all guys for your kind comments i have a new dio nearly finished now. everything in it is scratch built including my ruins and buildings....in 1:72 scale! ill be posting pics within this week again thanks!
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 796 posts
Armorama: 574 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 01:41 AM UTC
Very good work! You can just call this a Panzer '46 dio.

One point, is the burned out tank upside down? If it is I don't think there would have been any camo on the bottom just the orginal primer color.
clefmmann
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 11 posts
Posted: Monday, September 01, 2003 - 10:48 AM UTC
Good first dio effort you can only improve from here on. and if the war lasted any longer this cat could have been a painful reality for the allies.
 _GOTOTOP