_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
best kit for building DS M3A2
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 04:30 PM UTC
Hello all. I am want to build a M3A2 from the 2/2ACR from Desert Storm in 1/35 scale. I have a few questions on this.

1. Which kit is the best to start with?
2. Are there any external differences between the M2A2 and the M3A2?
3. What are some good after market products to use for this vehicle?
4. Does anyone make an interior for the M3A2?
5. Does anyone make the new buffed up engine for the M3A2?

I am going to do some more research on this myself, but I like to ask the wise sages here to save time and get the info posted in case someone else wants the same info. As always any information that would be useful that I didn't ask for is more than welcome. Thanks in advance all.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 09:59 PM UTC
You have only one choice for this kit, it is the Tamiya M2A2. You won't be able to tell an M2A2 from an M3A2 except for the interior storage and the bumper number. The kit does not include an interior, but this can be robbed from the Tamiya M2 or Academy M2 kit and modified. It is essentially the same kit with a new uparmored sprue added and the interior removed. I did a review on the Bradley engine by Real Models, it should be good enough. I believe I did a thread on this in the past to come up with the ultimate Bradley kit.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 10:09 PM UTC
Drew,
Look at the photo's in the Reference album under the Desert storm pictures. Those pictures I posted are of my Dad during DS while he was with 3rd ACR. SAME VEHICLES!!!!
The interior of the M3 is made to carry more ammo than troops. All the seats are taken out except 2. They sit in the center of the troop compartment. There are TOW misille racks on both sides and racks for ammo all down the left side and some on the right side. The crew of the M3 was only 5 verses the M2 which had the Track crew of 3 and the squad in the rear. The M3 has the track crew - TC( track commander), gunner, driver, and 2 scouts.
I didnt get any pictures of the M3, we mostly had M2. I think there is a good picture of the interior in Verlindens Bradley book. I'll check tonight.
tankerken6011
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 84 posts
Armorama: 81 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 08:13 AM UTC
Are these photos still available? How do you find them?
Ken.
ArtyG37B
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 420 posts
Armorama: 416 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 09:15 AM UTC
I just learned this the M2's had the vision blocks on the hull while the M3's have the vision blocks on the ammo hatch
Bravo83423
Visit this Community
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
KitMaker: 20 posts
Armorama: 20 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 04:05 PM UTC
Hi,
I think you should choose Academy M2A2 cause the price is reasonable.

But you have to buy AFV tracks because the tracks of Academy is the older type. I hope this will help.

Actually, I'm interested in American IFV such as Bradley variants so I'm working on it. Just finished the Academy M2A2. I'm going to build the MENG M2A3 with BUSK III along the interior soon.

Finally, sorry for my bad English.
B.L
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 05:19 PM UTC
Wow!! Talk about resurrecting a long-dead thread.

Quoted Text

I think you should choose Academy M2A2 cause the price is reasonable.

The Academy M2A2 is not the correct version for an Operation Desert Storm (ODS, '90-'91) Bradley as the original poster was asking about, especially an M3A2 CFV. The Academy M2A2 OIF kit represents a vehicle from the initial invasion of Iraq in '03 (Operation Iraqi Freedom - OIF) that has a many upgrades since ODS. It is an M2A2 ODS meaning it has been updated with lessons learned and applied from ODS.

There is no out of the box M3A2 CFV kit. You will have to kit-bash between a Tamiya M2A2 (#35152, Non-ODS kit) and parts from one of the newer Orochi or Meng M3A3 kits.

Specifically, some changes that will need to be made to convert it into an M3A2 CFV are as follows:

You will need to swap out the top hatch with either one from the Orochi M3A3 or Meng M3A3 kits.

Fill and sand smooth the openings on the roof of the Academy kit for the three rear-facing periscopes as well since they are now relocated to the hatch.

The side periscopes on the right side of the angled hull rear plates will also need to be removed and filled in as they are not present on an M3A2 version.

Also, the firing ports on the rear ramp need to be filled and sanded smooth as well (or plated over). You could alternately swap it out with the Orochi or Meng M3A3 rear ramp.

That should get you there.

Quoted Text

Just finished the Academy M2A2.

By the way, your M2A2 has all sorts of parts that should not be on it since they were from earlier versions. The kit contains many parts from prior Academy Bradleys since it uses the same sprues. Specifically, you added older ammo cans/holders, the obsolete swim barrier support poles, etc. Also, you have added fictitious decals such as the yellow 51 bridge classification and white shield on the right side of the turret. You might want to do a little research on your subjects.
ArtyG37B
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 420 posts
Armorama: 416 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 05:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow!! Talk about resurrecting a long-dead thread.

Note to self, look at the date before replying. Wow I didn't realize it was that old of a topic. Still good info is never a bad thing.
 _GOTOTOP