_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Group Builds
Build a model with your online buddies!
Hosted by Darren Baker
Sherman Group build...Ironing things out...
Dubanka
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 152 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 10:03 PM UTC
I've been getting conflicting reports here about what everyone wants to do, so I figured I'd step back up and set the parameters.....

This build is supposed to be fun for all, give a back to basics approach to modelling while learning a few new techniques, and not break the bank so I'm gonna stick with the OOB rule, with the following modifications:

1. The kit barrel is a known defect, and can be replaced with AM if the builder desires
2. The builder can add minor home-made additions (brass wire, strip styrene, etc) if desired to correct incorrect kit parts
3. No Aftermarket parts (Photo-Etch, resin, conversion, interiors, engines, tracks, etc)
4. Paint , decals, markings and stowage are up to the builder to allow for individuality (no really excessive stowage)

The time period is to start on the 1st of October. One kit step per week , with builders posting at any time during that week. Painting and weathering takes a little longer to do, and will be 2 weeks.

John
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 778 posts
Armorama: 396 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 11:07 PM UTC
The parameters sound great, John! Driver, move out!
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2002 - 10:10 AM UTC
Sounds like a great plan in the name of fun.
So, how many are going to join in? Is everyone ready to start Tuesday, October 1st? I think there may be a few who are awaiting their kits to arrive.
Bombshell
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 293 posts
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2002 - 10:32 AM UTC
How about the other two group builds (Humvee and Panther A)? what are the rules and parameter for those build ups?

Cheers,
CDT Reimund Manneck
U.S. Army ROTC
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2002 - 10:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How about the other two group builds (Humvee and Panther A)? what are the rules and parameter for those build ups?

I believe that we decided on the Avenger, but have OK'd any Italeri Hummer like the M1036, M998, or even that Desert Patrol variant. I believe no aftermarket accessories are to be used like tires. I haven't decided on whether to build the Commando or Avenger.
Dubanka
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2002 - 12:11 PM UTC
I think we'll be okay if we start on the 1st, considering that we only do 1 step per week, it will be easy to catch up.
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
Armorama: 658 posts
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2002 - 09:17 PM UTC
I'll be ready to start as soon as I find the kit I hid in my attic. Then I need to relocate the partly completed airplanes and helicopter off my work bench
Chief
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 498 posts
Armorama: 193 posts
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2002 - 10:06 PM UTC
Wish I could join in, this is killing me! Good luck and have fun for all of ya. Can't wait for the photos.
Dubanka
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 03:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'll be ready to start as soon as I find the kit I hid in my attic.

I think that there is a 13 step program for people like this....

John
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
Armorama: 658 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 07:34 AM UTC
Dubanka - I've been building thingees that fly. The change back to thingees that crawl on teh ground will be refreshing #:-)
Dubanka
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 07:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Dubanka - I've been building thingees that fly. The change back to thingees that crawl on teh ground will be refreshing #:-)

Thanks for slowing it down to DAT level....you know how we can be....or is that how the Crunchies talk???...

John......#:-)
merkava8
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 501 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 06:08 AM UTC
I'd love to be able to join this thing but I won't get mine till Christmas and I want to just load the thing. Looking forward to the pics and the good ideas.
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 760 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 07:26 PM UTC
I'll be coming over to the dark side of Sherman building with you guys, but I will be joining in a little late (around October 8 ) because I am still waiting for the kit from ModelExpo and even if it came today I am going to be in Boston from Wednesday - Sunday for a wedding. I will catch up quickly though.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 07:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'll be coming over to the dark side of Sherman building with you guys, but I will be joining in a little late (around October because I am still waiting for the kit from ModelExpo and even if it came today I am going to be in Boston from Wednesday - Sunday for a wedding. I will catch up quickly though.

Adam--got the blasted Grandt Line bolts at Granddad's in the exact spot you described. Never call, always visit.
thanks
DJ
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 08:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Adam--got the blasted Grandt Line bolts at Granddad's in the exact spot you described. Never call, always visit.

I still don't know why the woman that you talked to said that they don't carry Grandt-Line because as you most likely saw they have a large selection of Grandt-Line products.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2002 - 12:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sounds like a great plan in the name of fun.
So, how many are going to join in? Is everyone ready to start Tuesday, October 1st? I think there may be a few who are awaiting their kits to arrive.

I'm ready to move out tomorrow evening...

Gunine
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2002 - 12:54 AM UTC
I just realized that my earlier post had a smiley face with sunglasses instead of an 8. It was supposed to say that I would be ready to roll on October 8 (i.e. next Tuesday). I just checked my order status with Model Expo and my Sherman should be here either tomorrow or Wednesday.
 _GOTOTOP