_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Individual Track Links
HastyP
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,117 posts
Armorama: 468 posts
Posted: Monday, April 04, 2005 - 12:42 PM UTC
Hi

Does anyone have any good techniques for putting together the individual track links that come with some Dragon kits? I have to Sherman fireflys and a hummel that all have these kind of tracks. I know I will have to make some kind of jig to do this. Any tips, hints or problems?

Thanks
Paul
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Monday, April 04, 2005 - 12:50 PM UTC
1. patience :-) it will take some time, i've been frustrated with them, but after you find a nice technique, its not that bad

2. build them in sections, top/ bottom parts, and around the drive sprockets, then connect! works for me, but i guess everyone has their preferences #:-)
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Monday, April 04, 2005 - 12:55 PM UTC
I'll be the first to admit that I have a booger of a time with Dragon individual links. generally, I use tube glue as it is sticky and gives you a log enough drying time. Jig !? Iv've used them and found they were just one more thing to keep up with. I usually assemble about 8 - 10 blocks, then set them down and press them flat...this usually keeps them straight. After i get a couple of these blocs, put them together then use a straight edge to monitor curvage that might not be detected with my non-calibrated eyeball. Its getting the tracks onto the vehicle that I have my problems, but that's another story
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
Armorama: 1,512 posts
Posted: Monday, April 04, 2005 - 01:44 PM UTC
There are several feature articles on here on dealing with the indi track links..

one which happens to be mine is on doing allied style ones on a dragon Firefly Vc..

Building Allied style 3 piece Individual Track Links

and a couple of others are

Make Tracks!

Andy's Indie Track Technique

hope these help you and give you some good ideas

HastyP
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,117 posts
Armorama: 468 posts
Posted: Monday, April 04, 2005 - 02:05 PM UTC
Thanks fellows for the quick responses. Delbert I have read your method and I think I will try to copy your way. Hopefully I will have good luck.

Cheers
Hasty :-)
 _GOTOTOP