_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Dragon Panther II
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 05:29 PM UTC
Ok guys, I haven't got a terminal illness or gone over to the dark side; but I have just won myself a Dragon kit of the Panther II on ebay. Just for something different to make, and it was cheapo.Interesting from a historical 'last-of-the-line' angle as well.
I know enough about them to know that none entered service and only a couple were actually built.

What colour scheme was applied to the very last German tanks to be completed in WW2 or did they appear in hastily applied primer-based schemes just to get them into action faster? I've searched the web and seen other models of this tank painted in 'red-oxide', plain olive green. plain dark yellow.

Any help on an 'official' scheme will be much appreciated.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 01:44 AM UTC
Dave, as someone who very much shares your opinions/interest in all things allied/commonwealth, the last few weeks have seen me acquire the following

'Modeller's Guide to the Tiger'

'Modeller's Guide to the Sdkz251'

DML Tiger 1(initial)

Two DML 251s

Various German Armor paints

A Panzer 1

Several books/CDs on the 251 variants (with a couple more on the way)

Two sets of Tristar PzGrenadiers...

Be careful Dave, it is insidious this German stuff...Jim

KellyZak
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 641 posts
Armorama: 503 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 02:10 AM UTC
LOL :-) While I'm on the other end of the spectrum, I'll be delving into the world of Allied on my next build for the first time, a Firefly along with a Jagpanther....it just feels so foreign to me....hahahha
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 02:54 AM UTC
dave,

you do realise there are only two reasonable options for this kit.........

1-a nice big 17pdr impact hole in the turret

2-several squaddies standing on the abandoned and rusting kitty! :-)

regards

joe
DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 05:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

dave,

you do realise there are only two reasonable options for this kit.........

1-a nice big 17pdr impact hole in the turret

2-several squaddies standing on the abandoned and rusting kitty! :-)

regards

joe

It had already crossed my mind Joe. As I'm importing this kit for the equivalent of £16 including freight I could afford to mess it about a bit.
I may just paint it green though so that it doesn't look too out of place in my collection!!
crockett
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 370 posts
Armorama: 302 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 01:49 PM UTC
Actually, The Panther ll (hull only) was built, sans the Schmalturm. I'm sure you're aware of the Panther ll hull that is at the Patton Museum in Ft. Knox. It is fitted with a Panther G turret (by the allies) and is the only survivng Panther ll hull in the world.

As for the kit, I built mine with a sort of "what if" philosophy on the paint. What if the Panther ll had not been cancelled and truly was developed in parallel with the Tiger ll as originally planned? It would have been fielded in '44, possibly eastern front......???

Max_Fischer
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 639 posts
Armorama: 258 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 02:03 PM UTC
What i would think, since it was a last ditch type thing how about like. Since on a Panther Chasis just add Red Oixude primer to the turret and just leave the Hull Dark Yellow
SpiritsEye
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 1,041 posts
Armorama: 533 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 10:54 PM UTC
Since it's 'what if?', i think you can let your imagination run a little bit wild here.

I read somewhere that the german high command wanted vehicles to be painted dark green as base coat instead of dark yellow during the late 1945.

A panther II with dark green overall looks kinda cool

http://www.panzerworld.net/colours.html
DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2005 - 12:36 AM UTC
Thanks everyone - looks like primer or olive green will be favourites - or perhaps a cammo scheme of both!
woodstock74
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,189 posts
Armorama: 692 posts
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2005 - 01:07 AM UTC
Shifting topics slightly...I just purchased Dragon's Panther II and noted that is uses their "standard" Panther hull. Wasn't the Panther II supposed to have thicker frontal armor plates?
DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2005 - 03:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Shifting topics slightly...I just purchased Dragon's Panther II and noted that is uses their "standard" Panther hull. Wasn't the Panther II supposed to have thicker frontal armor plates?

I should hope they've made some changes to it - the Panther II had King Tiger type suspension but with 7 wheel stations per side, and the standard Panther has 8 according to my count!
The different armour thickness can easily be rectified if they've got that bit wrong.
woodstock74
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2005 - 03:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I should hope they've made some changes to it - the Panther II had King Tiger type suspension but with 7 wheel stations per side, and the standard Panther has 8 according to my count!
The different armour thickness can easily be rectified if they've got that bit wrong.

Yes, they have different road wheels, etc. But I'm more wondering if the armor is shown correctly. Without the model in front of me I can't recall what its thickness is compared to what the Panther II data says.
woodstock74
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2005 - 03:48 AM UTC
The magic of google...

Panther D vs. Panther II armor thickness
crockett
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 370 posts
Armorama: 302 posts
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2005 - 08:21 AM UTC
Well guys, I can tell you for sure that the kit has the "G" hull topside with the modified seven station suspension. It is absolutely the same mold.

I forgot to mention a major stumble on this kit!!!!

The roadwheels were incompletely molded! The areas where the wheel slips onto the roadarm was filled with plastic to different depths! I had to drill them all out.

Another area of concern for me was if they could have actually mounted the L 71 into that small turret. It looks mean, but I think the 7.5cm would have probably been the weapon that went into service. I just can't imagine any space left in that turret with the 8.8 stuffed in there.

Steve
 _GOTOTOP