_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
A34 Comet
siegmund
Visit this Community
Slovenia
KitMaker: 87 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2005 - 02:53 AM UTC
Could I convert a Comet from a Cromwell. I would use the Cromwell hull and supension, add the return rollers and somehow scrachbuild the turret? Would it be possible? Thanks
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2005 - 02:56 AM UTC
Unfortunately not. The hull dimensions are different, with comet being wider and longer

regards

joe
siegmund
Visit this Community
Slovenia
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2005 - 03:00 AM UTC
Darn. Well, looks like I'll just have to wait for a manufacturer to produce it in 1:72.
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2005 - 07:25 PM UTC
you may want to PM sabot,

he built a 1/72 or 1/76 comet for the british/commonwealth group build last year

i cant remember the manufacturer though

regards

joe
dogload
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 585 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2005 - 08:18 PM UTC
Matchbox used to make one many years ago- I don't know where you'd get one now, unless it's been reboxed or re-released (not up on braille scale stuff).
Hope that helps.
MC
siegmund
Visit this Community
Slovenia
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2005 - 11:48 PM UTC
Matchbox is 1:76. I like to keep my vehicles in one scale.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2005 - 12:44 AM UTC
I built the Matchbox kit last year or so. Revell released it in a combo pack a few years back with some vinyl troops and called it 1/72 scale.

Cool kit. I have the Revell reissue and will build it with the other optional markings.
koschrei
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 147 posts
Armorama: 134 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 04:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Unfortunately not. The hull dimensions are different, with comet being wider and longer

regards

joe

The published dimensions definitely say that - about 20cm longer and 13cm (in 1:1 scale) wider based on the info I found on the Web. Now here is the question. Exactly where did they change the dimensions? Wider tracks and fenders? Spread and stretch the hull? Lengthen the engine deck only?

Being a 1/48 modeler, I picked up a 1:50 Corgi Coment on a whim, and it is actually a pretty nice model, but it does not scale out right. In 1:50 scale it is 4mm (actual) short, although it scales almost exactly right on width if you take the 304cm (1:1 scale) width I found in my research as being correct. Corgi does a Centaur and a Cromwell too, all on a single lower hull die casting (they are all pretty nice little models BTW).

I think Corgi did this because they are all basically similar and they felt they could fudge the Comet onto a common lower hull (and save $$) by doing the Comet upper hull with correct width but fudging the length.

So, in a moment of AMS I was wondering exactly what the differences were in the late Comet hull design

Konrad
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 05:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Could I convert a Comet from a Cromwell. I would use the Cromwell hull and supension, add the return rollers and somehow scrachbuild the turret? Would it be possible? Thanks

Would it be "possible"? Of course it's possible, make a new hull. Given the scratchbuilding job necessary to make the turret, the hull would be a piece of cake. Mind you, by the time you're done, it's not so much a Cromwell conversion as a Comet scratchbuild, but if you think you are up to the turret, the hull will be easier. The Cromwell will provide plenty of details that would make scratchbuilding a Comet much easier.

Go for it, what's the worst that could happen?

Paul
siegmund
Visit this Community
Slovenia
Posted: Friday, November 04, 2005 - 05:27 AM UTC
OK, I'm willing to give it a try. But in that case I'll need some drawings and literature. Does anyone have any idea where to get them?
joe60
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 30 posts
Posted: Friday, November 04, 2005 - 12:54 PM UTC
Hi Siegmund
Ther's not a lot on the Comet at the moment, I believe that Osprey are going to release a book in 2006. You could try Bovington Tank Museum for a plans pack and other info. There are a number of Comets preserved in various museums and a number of photo walkarounds, try Tanxheaven and Primeportal. Hope this help.
Joe
siegmund
Visit this Community
Slovenia
Posted: Friday, November 04, 2005 - 11:07 PM UTC
Thanks for the links. They've got lots of pisc.

If Osprey are really going to release a book in 2006, I'm gonna wait for it. I've got time....
mkenny
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 95 posts
Armorama: 94 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 02:46 AM UTC
On ebay now and cheap. item no. 8348389058
PATXIBEI
Visit this Community
Cadiz, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 26 posts
Posted: Friday, May 12, 2006 - 02:29 AM UTC
Kaixo !
Be advise, the tracks are much wider in the Comet than the Cromwell, appart from the different hull sizes.
I have both in 1/35 and comparing then, the task would be very difficult.
Good luck !
Patxi
 _GOTOTOP