medieval tower, if anyone needs...[*Updated*]
dsc
Visit this Community
Gdańsk, Poland
KitMaker: 247 posts
Armorama: 228 posts
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2005 - 06:51 AM UTC
Hi

I have posted a wall panel topic some time ago, which some of you are probably familiar with. This time I'm pretty much finishing my work with this medieval tower, so I've thought to myself: "maybe somebody is doing a diorama which includes a similar building. Or maybe someone might find this useful in some way." So I've decided to post. I know it's not very "diorama-like" but might help somebody to start a new dio or maybe give some inspiration. The wall is similar to the Linka system, but it's a much bigger scale (each rock is 7mm high). You can try to build a ruined version of this building to create a cool looking vignette, with a solder in front of it running or maybe having a cigarette brake. This piece still needs some work, I have to scribe each corner block with a dental tool and and make those pieces look more natural. Also if you have any comments or ideas concerning this building, drop a comment, as any advice is more than welcome. Thanks and hope this helps:

Cheers!

dsc.
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2005 - 10:58 AM UTC
Dsc, I really like the way you made this wall...and also the way the tower has come together. I would love to see a sbs article submitted here as to the making of the tower. I feel it could be of use to a lot of modelers here. Maybe you could talk to Slodder or Eagle and see if you can submit it? If you have any questions as to how, these guys can answer them. Heck if you need any help with it I would be glad to help also. Just send me a pm. Back to your tower...I see only one thing that I would change, Where the door way is, the lines seperating the blocks dont continue into this area around the door, it would be realistic to have them there. Other than that easy fix, excellent work Cheers Kevin
Themage
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 44 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2005 - 04:37 PM UTC
Your tower looks really good. I would like to point out that to me it looks like a pattern since each side is a copy of the master. You did a good job covering that up but i think what gives it away is the hole in one of the bricks between the 5th and 6th rows. Also the rounded edges when the walls go together look a little weird. I am just pointing some things out please dont get mad at me
dsc
Visit this Community
Gdańsk, Poland
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2005 - 06:50 AM UTC
Thanks for the comments guys, I didn't think this post would get any replies so I'm positively surprised.

Kevin: I will work on that detail you've mentioned, this piece still needs some work so if you have any suggestions feel free to add an idea or a comment. I might be able to write a short article about it, I just need to find some time. I will also have to talk to Slodder to see if it's welcome or needed. Also thanks for your kind words. Hearing that such a talented dio master as you likes this piece is a great compliment.

Themage: As you already mentioned each of the four sides of this building is a copy of a master piece. I know all of the walls look very similar, but I will try to vary them a bit by using some wall filler and a dental tool, creating more holes or covering those already existing. I don't really understand this part:

Quoted Text

Also the rounded edges when the walls go together look a little weird

if you could describe this problem more, I will be able to change it, cause right now I can't see what's wrong. Your ideas/suggestions are very helpful as they help me to create a more natural look, so I'm far from being mad:)

Cheers,

dsc.

EDIT:
I've been busy lately and managed to finish on side of this tower and add a cool looking texture to the whole wall. I hope you like it, here's the picture:

Parks20
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 737 posts
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2005 - 12:35 AM UTC
Top notch- I would take care of the few pointers others already mentioned. Overall this is a very nice scratch build.
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 06:39 PM UTC
Last picture with the extra texture gives a pretty realistic look!!!! I like the work u did and painting medieval figures this one looks pretyy interesting to me !!! Can u make a copy for me !!!! :-) :-)

Good Work my friend

Keep safe
dsc
Visit this Community
Gdańsk, Poland
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 10:11 AM UTC
Thanks for all the kind words:) I will be making a mold soon (I'm waiting for the silicone rubber, it should arrive any day now), because I'm going to sell these pieces so I might be able to make a copy for you Major Goose. I will post some more pictures when I finish the front wall. Cheers!!

dsc.
Matrix
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 528 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 10:47 AM UTC
Are you selling the castings by your self or for a company? It looks great from were im sitting. Good work, keep it up.
dsc
Visit this Community
Gdańsk, Poland
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 10:54 AM UTC
I trying to start a small business, so guess the answer is I'm trying to sell them by myself. Thanks for your comment Adam! I'm planning to add an upper part, and there will be two options probably:
- a wooden upper piece
- a normal rock finish
This is going to be for a table top game, but I might also make smaller kits for other scales too, maybe even for dioramas:)

dsc.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 12:13 PM UTC
Wow that last pic is impressive. What are you going to do at the top?
dsc
Visit this Community
Gdańsk, Poland
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 04:27 AM UTC
I will try to make a wooden upper part (a little bit bigger than the base of the lower part) and make it look like a watch tower, with a clay tile roof. The other option is to make the upper part out of plaster and make it similar to the lower piece, so that the tower looks more like a guard tower (the ones that normaly castles have)

dsc.
Matrix
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 528 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 05:04 AM UTC
I like the sound of the optional peices, and i think it will be cool to see how you do the wooden part! Good luk startting your company! Is it going to have a web page?

And what scale is this going to be again? I know its for war games but they varry in scale from very small up to 1/72 scale.

Again good work....keep it up!
dsc
Visit this Community
Gdańsk, Poland
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 05:36 AM UTC
I guess a web page is very important when trying to sell your work so I will have to make one. As for the scale, it is for 1:48 scale (actually it's kind of hard to tell, but an average soldier is about 35mm high so I guess you can call it's even 1:52 or something similar). If you want here are the dimensions of the wall:
- each rock row is 0,7cm high, each rock is about 0,9cm wide. The corner pieces are two times higher than the rocks (so it's 1,4cm)
- the whole tower is about 13cm high and 9cm wide.

That should help you figure out how big this is. Thanks for wishing me luck:) and also thanks for your comments, cheers!!

dsc.
dsc
Visit this Community
Gdańsk, Poland
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2005 - 06:21 AM UTC
Sorry for posting two times in a row, but I have some new pictures, and didn't want to create another topic. This piece is almost finished, I only have to work on some details, but it's mostly very small stuff. Every rock has a nice texture and I'm really happy with how this piece turned out, it should look cool when painted using the drybrush method. The next thing is to add an upper part. I've decided to add a stone upper piece first, before the wooden option. It should be quicker and easier. Here are four shots of all the four corners of the building to show the whole piece. Hope you like it:

As usual all comments are more than welcome. Cheers!

dsc.
 _GOTOTOP