_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
RRB & Critics Corner question
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 5,435 posts
Armorama: 2,762 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 09:54 PM UTC
Ok, this may be a stupid question, but I'd like to now this before I post threads in the wrong forum.

As you all now, we have several forums, general modeling, armor etc.

We also have the Rivet Review Board and the Critics Corner forums.

I quote the describtions of these fora:

RRB: "Post in-progress pictures of your work for constructive critique"

CC:"Constructive criticism forum moderated by Scott Murphy"

Ok, now suggest I'm working on a diorama with a half-submerged, half sunk LVT-(A)1 and I need to know what people think of my diorama, the rust on the LTV etc.

So, I need constructive critics/critique.

Now I read the forum describtions and I come to the conclusion I can post a thread in both the CC and the RRB. (or am I wrong here)

The way I see it, we've got 2 forums which are actually the same.

So, the question is: What is the difference between the RRB and the CC, and when should I post in the one and when in the other?

Thanks,
Martin
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 10:16 PM UTC
POST IN RIVET REVIEW FORUM!

Critics corner is a hosted forum which was (and should stay) an aircraft forum.

We have the same with Truck'orama (Softskins)which is a HOSTED forum with me as the host. But we still have a softskins sub forum under armor. So you can post in either but not both.

cheers
Cliff
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 10:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

POST IN RIVET REVIEW FORUM!

We have the same with Truck'orama (Softskins)which is a HOSTED forum with me as the host. But we still have a softskins sub forum under armor. So you can post in either but not both.

cheers
Cliff

Lol could you explain me when a forum is hosted and when it isn't (sorry, I'm stupid lol) That would make a lot of things clear I guess hehe

Martin
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 10:27 PM UTC
Martin if you open the main forum page you will note that the hosted forums are further down the page and in a different area to armoramas main forums.

A hosted forum means that Armorama does not own that forum but meerly HOSTS it for the people that run it.

Hope this helps
Cliff
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 11:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Am I missing something here? ..Jim
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 11:28 PM UTC
Ah thanks a lot for the explanation Cliff, you're most helpfull!

I suggest to change the forum describtion of CC then, to make clear it's about aircraft. The describtion looks a lot like the RRB and this can cause confusement as people will post in the wrong forum, something that already happends now as there are not only threads about aircraft. Now we get threads from people who want constructive critism in two different fora. That's no good, you need to keep 1 subject concentrated in 1 forum.

Btw, I don't know about whether the CC should have stayed in Aircraft or not, I want to make clear my intention is NOT to cause an argue between members about this....

Martin
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 11:53 PM UTC
I sort of get a feeling that the (original) idea of CC was for Aircraft models, I may be confused in this. Hopefully we'll get it clarified later today...Jim
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 11:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I sort of get a feeling that the (original) idea of CC was for Aircraft models, I may be confused in this. Hopefully we'll get it clarified later today...Jim

That's what I understand from Cliff's explanation.

That's also why I suggest the forum describtion of CC should be changed as we now have two forums with a almost the same describtion which causes confusion and wrong-posted threads.

Martin
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 12:02 AM UTC
The issue here is NOT confusion. the issue here, as it clearly states in RRB, the following:

Quoted Text

Post in-progress pictures of your work for constructive critique

In-progress seems to be the key expression, on the other hand, CC includes both finished and in-progress work...

What happens in both, is that too many people use them for pointless 'Gee, that's great!' comments....'nuff said...Jim
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 12:09 AM UTC
I understand. Still I think you should have 1 thread for finished work then and 1 for completed work.....but that's just my opinion, I'll stop talking about it

Ok, thanks for the information, I now know where to post!

Martin
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 02:08 AM UTC
Marinn, it has now been clarified. The CC and RRB, can both be used for armor & aircraft....Jim
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 02:42 AM UTC
As stated, the Critique's Corner is a hosted forum. They used to be called Hotwash and had their own site. It was a place where in-progress and completed aircraft models were displayed and commented on.

Jim offered them a home here at Armorama in hopes of increasing our own aircraft modeler population.

The Rivet Review Board was an organic forum here at Armorama designed to display any model (no particular genre). The purpose was to receive feedback on in progress models in order to improve the build.

The Gallery was designed to display your completed model.
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
Armorama: 3,245 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 02:45 AM UTC
Martinn, you asked the same question I thought of when I saw your post in CC. What the heck is the difference? Thanks guys for clearing that up.

Quoted Text

too many people use them for pointless 'Gee, that's great!' comments...

Jim, good point, those are particularly annoying in RRB & CC... especially since Staff_Jim posted these "rules" for RRB:

Quoted Text

To those posting:
Please don't post here if you aren't interested in hearing an honest opinion of your work from fellow site members. The model should also be something in-progress. Prior to a final wash or other final weathering. If you'd like to show off a completed piece I would be happy to include it in either the main gallery or the MSN gallery.

To those responding:
You are expected to provide real constructive criticism. You can say something looks good, but (as almost nothing is perfect) you'll need to also point out whatever elements you see that could use improvement or you find some issue with. Don't just say something is too "weathered", instead specify what areas are particularly causing you to say that. Also try to provide some ideas on how that aspect might be improved. We are looking for helpful comments here, not hurtful ones. Flame-bait or other harrassing posts will be removed without notice.

IF YOU POST A SIMPLE CONGRATULATORY REMARK IT MAY BE REMOVED. Fair warning.

p.s. This is not a go at the moderators and staff, as I realise how tough their jobs are some days - you guys are doing a great job, keep it up!
 _GOTOTOP