_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Techniques
Diorama techniques and related subjects.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Durhams Water Putty
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Armorama: 504 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 04:17 AM UTC
HI folks,

I was wondering if anyone has used Durhams Water Putty to simulate concrete on stryofoam and if so, do you do anything special to the styro to help anchor the putty?

Lastly, does anyone know if you use this, can you spray it with enamel or do you still need to use acrylics in consideration of the foam?

Thanks!
dsc
Visit this Community
Gdańsk, Poland
KitMaker: 247 posts
Armorama: 228 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 09:14 AM UTC
I didn't use Durhams Water Putty but I've used some kitchen tile glue (it was actually similar to mortar). Here's an example:

I know you can use different wall fillers to simulate concrete. If you cover the foam completly with this kind of stuff (wall fillers, putty or anything similar) you can use spray paint on it, cause the styrofoam is protected. You don't have to use any special techniques to make the filler stick to the styrofoam, so I guess putty would also stick easily (putty and wall filler are water based so I guess they would react similar). If you can make a small test piece to see for yourself, take a small piece of styrofoam and cover it with putty. Wait for it to dry and than see if it sticks properly and how good does it take paint. Hope this helps. Cheers!

dsc.
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
Armorama: 1,458 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 10:12 AM UTC
Latex house paint makes a great sealer on styrafoam.Any color will do.Durahms will stick to it as will any other puttys.Prime with automotive grade primer and use any paints you wish.
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Armorama: 504 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 10:58 AM UTC
Thanks Rick and DSC,

I appreciate the input. I'd like to make sort of a half U-Boat pen for my 1/72nd U-boat and thought since I had some Durhams, I would use it rather than buying some spackle.

DSC, I really like the building with your tile putty, looks very realisitc!

Thanks guys
 _GOTOTOP