_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Replacement tracks
cromwell
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 202 posts
Armorama: 178 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 06:42 PM UTC
This concerns all WWII models not just German WWII

Replacement tracks.....

I have a couple of models in my stable that could do with a track upgrade. (The rubber bands were OK when I first started because I didn't know any better!)

What is the way forward???

and

Which manufacturer??

There are Individula links, White meat or resin strips of tracks. what are your thoughts and experiences??

Thanks for all replies.

CROMWELL
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 06:55 PM UTC
Which way is forward? Well, that would have to depend on which set of tracks you were replacing. You'd have to look at reference photos for that particular model of tank.

There are plenty of nice individual track link makers out there. AFV Club does very nice Sherman and modern US tracks. Fruil, and others make various types of tracks of various materials. Sometimes you will have a choice with the various manufacturers, other times only one company makes the tracks you want. Sometimes no one does and you're stuck with the kit tracks (which are not always bad).
cromwell
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 202 posts
Armorama: 178 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 07:17 PM UTC
So it's a case of horses for courses eh??

My kits are WWII Allied or German or Modern British.

I have been looking at replacing PzKpfw IV tracks for an Ausf H (tamiya) and getting some track foe my Ausf F (Italeri) winter eastern front, would like some Ostkette (East Track).

I have a British Early Sherman (Deset Camo).

Would would you recommend?

And what manufacturer?

Cheers all,
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 07:27 PM UTC
Rob hit it good. I like the Friulmodel myself pretty easy to use say on the Sherman well on friul it is $25.50 plus shipping on AFV it is around $14.00 plus tax locally which one looks better well the Friul would as they are metal but on this vehicle I would think the AFV club would be better as mostly rubber now if you were to do a panther or king Tiger or T/34 then the metal Fruil's would look better as they are white metal. Now on the M-41 which are made by both Fruil and AFV my money is on the AFV as they kick ass two part Cheap and great detail. Well that is enough rambling
And aboard
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 760 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 07:58 PM UTC
For the Panzer IV I would use either Friulmodel or Modelkasten tracks. I find Friulmodel a lot easier to work with and they look great, but the Modelkasten tracks are beautiful as well.

ATL-03 Panzer III Ausf. H-J, Panzer IV Ausf. E 40cm Track W/Hollow Guide Horns

ATL-04 Panzer III Ausf. H-K, Panzer IV Ausf. F-J 1941-44 W/Hollow Guide Horns

ATL-05 Panzer III Ausf. H-K, Panzer IV Ausf. F-J 1942-45 W/Solid Guide Horns

ATL-27 Panzer II, Panzer IV Non-Skid Chevron 1943-45 W/Solid Guide Horns

ATL-28 Panzer III, Panzer IV Final Version 1944-45 W/Solid Guide Horns

Modelkasten has equivalents to all of the above tracks as well.
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 10:34 PM UTC
I vote for Friul As well. Modlekasten is a bit more difficult to build. And you know what, if you are lucky, you may ask around here see if someone here got a set of DML individual tracks here available. The DML tracks are good too, and easy to do. But be awared of their Elefant tracks though. #:-)
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2002 - 04:11 AM UTC
I am thinking about getting some AM tracks for a King Tiger (it's hard to get the perfect sag on those things with vinyl tracks). I don't know if Fruil makes any tracks for it, but Model Kasten's are $55 CDN! The Tamiya King Tiger is $53. It's a lot of money, but I think I will spend it and see if it's really worth it........

Nic
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2002 - 06:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I am thinking about getting some AM tracks for a King Tiger (it's hard to get the perfect sag on those things with vinyl tracks). I don't know if Fruil makes any tracks for it, but Model Kasten's are $55 CDN! The Tamiya King Tiger is $53. It's a lot of money, but I think I will spend it and see if it's really worth it........

Nic

Right here

from here
http://www.discountmodels.com/fruil_tracks.htm
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 760 posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2002 - 08:26 PM UTC
Nic,

I would highly recommend not using the Friulmodel tracks for the King Tiger and instead use the Modelkasten. Normally I would say go with Friulmodel, but in this case the Friulmodel tracks are a royal pain in the a**. They are not just one piece links, but 3 pieces (or maybe it was 4) for each link and trying to line those pieces up (even with the little jig they give you) and get the wire through them is extremely time consuming and frustrating. The Modelkasten ones are much easier to deal with in this case.

HTH
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2002 - 10:15 PM UTC
Folgore, I also done the Modelkasten King Tiger tracks, they are fine, and with the jig they provide to you, it's easy to build.
Bribo
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 205 posts
Armorama: 129 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2002 - 12:15 AM UTC
Fruil has two different sets of track for the Tiger II, ATL-16, and ATL-22. The -16 is the later style track, with the 9-tooth drive wheel. the -22 is for the eighteen tooth drive wheel, and comes with replacement drive wheels for the kit drive wheel. Be careful building the -22 sets, they don't come with instructions, and i figured out what the "little" parts were too late. (They are part ot the link connectors) and had to dis-assemble an entire run of track and start over Anyway, I've built both sets and they look great, get them at Hometown Hobbies. Great Prices, Great Service, Nuff said.
tankshack
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2002 - 12:07 PM UTC
The real thing to watch out for with the various King Tiger Tracks is that the manufacturers don't tell us much about which set goes with which models. The set ATL-22 was only used on Porsche Jagdtigers and the first few King Tigers with the Porsche turret.

In addition, if you plan on using the ATL-22 for a Jagdtiger, you'll have to clip off the inner track guide tooth on every link. This is an actual modification made by the German Army to allow the tracks to fit properly on the Porsche Jagdtiger suspension.

Quoted Text

Which manufacturer??
There are Individula links, White meat or resin strips of tracks. what are your thoughts and experiences??

The one thing that I'd add here is that the resin strip tracks are somewhat difficult to work with. They look cool in the bag and then when you try to fit them to the model... well... let's just say that you'll need a lot of patience.

Later,
Tim

_GOTOTOP