_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M10 achilles Dry decals?
sonnyboy
Visit this Community
Denmark
KitMaker: 473 posts
Armorama: 252 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 11:40 AM UTC
Hey armor fans! i am building acadamy´s m10 achilles! very nice model! but the decals suck! eh do you know which british armor units used them and where can i get the dry decals in uk! it is to expensive to order for me in us! .

i would realy be glad for some help! i am new at modeling armor so i dont know so much about which units had the mother beutifull armor in the europe!

please i do need help! cheers
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 12:11 PM UTC
The best source for dry transfers is Archer, avalable from Historex Agents:
http://www.historexagents.com/shop/hxsearchresults.php?SupplierCode=AT

I don't know if they do any suitable for the model you're making though.

Accurate Armour do a waterslide set for the M10 17pdr, and also seperate sheets with unit markings etc - I bought sets about a year ago and still haven't used them all up!
http://www.accurate-armour.com/ShowProduct.cfm?CFID=3505502&CFTOKEN=36793303&manufacturer=0&category=6&subcategory=48&product=1576

As for which British units used the M10 17pdr SP, I'm sure you'll find the answer here:

http://www.ra39-45.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/atkidx/index.html
sonnyboy
Visit this Community
Denmark
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 09:02 PM UTC
Hey dave! thanks for great respons. You helped a modeller in a desperat need for help! . I realy like those mother beutifull tanks in your galley! i think i am going to have my try with Acurate armor decals and maybe search for some archer! and thanks for those great links! .

cheers! .

thanks again!
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
Armorama: 808 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 10:48 PM UTC
Sonnyboy, if you could work with really good traditional decals, I have built the Afv-club achilles (I have pics of it in my gallery, check it out), and have most of the decal sheet unused. I also have the vinyl mask that came with the Eduard PE set. I can send you a set via mail if you want. I scanned and uploaded photos of the sheet and instruction on Photobucket. I'll shoot you a PM with a visitor password so you can see the decal sheet and instructions.
Cheers
sonnyboy
Visit this Community
Denmark
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2005 - 12:49 AM UTC
the decals that follow with the afv modeling which regiments do they belong to, i would only want the british! it sounds tempting! how is the m10 achilles model of afv club! is it with the interior! and what is vinyl mask .

your models great how do yoy make the rust that runs down the handles on the tank! is it burnt umber you have thinned down
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2005 - 01:39 AM UTC
The Afv-club kit is great. Comes with interior. (I left the upper hull loose so I can show the interior. I should get some photos of it too!) Although steering bars are not included, academy kit is better in that area. Also, I heard that academy has a little better suspension and two different types of road wheels. Afv-club supplies only 1 kind (solid) and they have hollow backs. Not a big problem, unless you're a nitpicker. They could be easily filled, and aren't so visible after all. You get decals for six different machines and a choice of British or Canadian tool arrangement. Afv-club's kit comes with an alunium barrel, which is superb. No risk of sanding the barrel oval!

And then about the decals. If I remember correctly, only British used the Achilles (it was an M10 with the cannon changed to a British 17 puonder anti-tank cannon). It looks like I used the only non-British decal option with my kit: 1st Anti-tank Regiment. Polish 1st armoured division.

The other choices are:

93rd anti-tank reg. Royal artillery, 5 Corps: Italy 1944

British 1st army corps, Normandy 1944

75th Anti-tank reg. Royal artillery, 11th armoured division. Belgium 1944.

Royal Canadian artillery 4th anti-tank regiment. Netherlands 1945 (notice that this one has the Canadian tool arragement)

21st anti-tank regiment Royal artillery, Guards armoured division tank destryoyer battalion. Netherlands 1944

Check out my account at photobucket.com to see how they look. (that writing and drawings on the Canadian decal diagram are just my notes about Friul track I used. They come with straight and curved links and they have to be placed correctly in order to get the tracks to look right.)

I made the rust effects with Life color rust wash. It's an already thin rust-colored wash. The same effect can be achieved with washes with different reddish browns. Burnt umber could do the trick as well. Life color rust is great because the pigment deposits on the bottom of the jar and you can scoop out the thick pigment and apply that directly.

A vinyl mask is thin flexible film cut into shapes that you can use to spray on markings with an airbrush.

Take a look at those scans and tell me which one you like.
sonnyboy
Visit this Community
Denmark
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2005 - 02:46 AM UTC
okay now i am a regisered at the photobucket.com! but where are your photos! . How much do you want for the decals?
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2005 - 04:04 AM UTC
You don't need to register to see my photos. (but it's good you did, it's a good place to store your pics) Just log in with the username and password I sent you in a private message. You should see a "you have 1 unread message" text. Just see your message folder, it should be there.That's a visitor password, you can view and dowload pics but can't delete or alter them.

About payment, I can't really charge anything for just a couple of decals, you don't have to pay anything.

_GOTOTOP