_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Cromwell Mk4
Davester444
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 850 posts
Armorama: 548 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2005 - 02:33 AM UTC
This is my recently finished Cromwell Mk4. It is supposeledly in a winter campaign (Hurtgen etc), hence my attempts at a frost effect. This is my first proper attempt at a kit, as I am relatively new to the hobby. Kit is built OOB except for Sten gun on the turret. Sorry for the poor quality of some of the photos, I am still getting used to my digital camera. Comments/advice etc welcome.

capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 860 posts
Armorama: 411 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2005 - 02:54 AM UTC
It looks cold to me.
capnjock
Davester444
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2005 - 02:56 AM UTC
Yeah, its meant to look like its been left over night and frosted over.
winchweight
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 513 posts
Armorama: 291 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2005 - 03:21 AM UTC
Looks cool! (D'ya see what I did there??) Does your camera have a macro setting (usually denoted by a flower symbol)? This will allow close ups to be in focus.
Davester444
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2005 - 03:25 AM UTC
Damn, thats what the flower thing means. Didn't know that, thanks, I'll use it next time.
Davester444
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2005 - 03:49 AM UTC
OK, here's a couple of pics using that macro thing.

thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2005 - 05:38 AM UTC
Hi Dave ...You've taken on one of the hardest types of camo's right off the top ..Good for you ..The only things I might suggest is to go back over your kit and drybrush some of the original green to where you think the crew would walk or climb over the vehicle...also around the hatches and I noticed the inside of the barrel seems to have gotten some white paint ..A black wash should get rid of that.. Same thing goes for the rubber part of the wheels ..any white paint that might have gotten on there when it was first painted would be long gone by the time the whitewash got that worn.. You've done a great job ..keep up the good work.

Rick
Davester444
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2005 - 06:03 AM UTC
Thanks for the advice Rick. I also thought that if it was running, there would be no white on the engine cover due to the heat, but I decided that I'd make it look as though it had been left overnight and had got a layer of frost all over. Would the rubber on the wheels frost if left long enough?

Actually, on re-reading your post, I see what you mean. The white isn't meant to be camo, it's a normal green Cromwell thats frosted.
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2005 - 06:25 AM UTC
Well being a Canadian and being used to very cold winter weather ...I have never seen my wheels change color because of the cold .. I now understand what you are trying to depict but it would have to be darn cold to get a tank that frosty looking ..but then again we have to exaggerate the effects on models to get our point across...it does look cold...If you want to try something a little different ..use a blue filter coat (95% thinner to 5% paint)..it brings out that cold feeling...

Rick
Davester444
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2005 - 06:31 AM UTC
I see what you mean about the wheels, maybe I'll drybrush them with black to take away some of the frost. It does look a bit like it's just been abandoned in some serious snow somewhere really cold for several days, but like you said we have to exagerrate. I might drybrush over it with green as well.
M-60-A3
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 808 posts
Armorama: 479 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2005 - 06:34 AM UTC
Hi Dave,
First let me say welcome .
For this being "my first proper attempt at a kit" I'd say you've done an exceptional job.
I agree with Richard, both in attemting to do one of the more difficult weathering techniques and the advice he's given you.
You have a kit that you should be very proud of
Tanks a lot for sharing your work.
Joe :-)
Davester444
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2005 - 06:55 AM UTC
Thanks you M60. I've found something else to go under the 'what motivates you during a build' thread, you guys saying my work is good. Thanks.
M-60-A3
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 808 posts
Armorama: 479 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2005 - 09:22 AM UTC
Hi Dave,
You're the one that did the work. You deserve the credit. Best wishes for all your future builds. And please share you future projects here.
Joe
 _GOTOTOP