_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Good paint colour for Op Telic Challenger2 ??
nzgunnie
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 371 posts
Armorama: 174 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2005 - 07:43 PM UTC
I've just got myself a Tamiya Challenger 2, and was wondering what would be a good colour to paint it?

The instructions say TS46, but that's the same colour quoted for the M1025 I've recently done (didn't use it for that either) and I know British Challengers are not the same colour as US Humvees.

I used MM 1706 Sand for the Humvee, and it looked pretty good, but that seems too tan/grey for a Challenger, the British colour seems to be much more yellow.

Does anyone have a good colour? I'd be most keen on a reference for Humbrol or Tamiya since they are the most easily found paints here in NZ.

Thanks

Phil
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2005 - 02:01 AM UTC
the most accurate colour is Xtracolours british armour sand,

as you say the tamiya colour isnt right, and im not sure of the humbrol equivalant.

it may be worth noting that the colour appears different in real life depending on light conditions, and im fairly sure different batches of paint were used.

some vehicles are painted in this quite bright shade of yellow

while most appear to be this shade

i think its a combination of the light conditions and the age of the paint, the older it is-the duller it is- because most OPFOR AFVs ive seen appear to be somewhere in between.

my advise is to find a photo (can be any british vehicle) and go for a shade that matches that, that way no one can say your wrong!

regards

joe
Salticid
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 40 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2005 - 09:12 AM UTC
Yes, you're right that TS-46 and Model Masters Sand 1706 aren't the right color for Challenger 2 (Desert). I used Model Masters British Gulf Lt Stone 2137. It looks fine. Maybe Xtracolor is better as your replier said it is more yellow. My city doesn't have Xtracolor, unfortunately.

Salticid
OneOneBravo
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 100 posts
Armorama: 84 posts
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2005 - 05:43 AM UTC
British army light stone was used in the first gulf war, they used a type of paint that could be washed off just by using water
baz13b
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 55 posts
Armorama: 38 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 01, 2005 - 04:50 AM UTC
I just finished a Trumpeter Challenger 2. Used Gunze dark yellow mixed with flat white. Color was excellent!!
1-2 parts dark yellow: 8-9 parts white.
 _GOTOTOP