_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Manufacturer question? good or bad?
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 2,029 posts
Armorama: 822 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2002 - 12:43 AM UTC
Ok fellows (and girls),

Here is another question:

The shop I normally got to for my kits now also has some new manufacturers on his shelf’s.
I don't know them but maybe you can help me.

Can you tell me if the kits they make are of a decent quality? they produce some kits not done by the "known" brands and are relative cheap.

Alan (Russia)
ICM (Ukraine)
Zvezda (Russia)
Ironside (France)

Any feedback is welcome

#:-)
herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 939 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2002 - 12:58 AM UTC
Hi Ronny

You'll have to be more specific in which kits are of interest.
I've built a Zvezda T34/76. Nice kit, but with horrible tracks.
I've built ICM's Luchs kit. Very nice, with indy link tracks, and minor fit problems.
Alan have lots of armor kits. I have a few, but haven't built any yet. Their Marder and Grille look nice.
I don't know about Ironside.

If you go to www.track-link.net you can see reviews of many kits from each manufacturer.

Italeri and Zvezda have some kind of deal where some Italeri kits are marketed in a Zvezda box, and vice versa. Alan have some of their kits reboxed by DML.

Some of those Eastern European manufacturers are making very nice, affordable alternatives to the big companies' kits.

Cheers
Andy
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2002 - 12:58 AM UTC
Alan: I have only built one of their kits, the PzII-C repackaged by DML. It was good and came with a small fret of photoetch. From the sounds of it, their other kits are similar. I would say they are similar to DML.

ICM: I haven't built it yet, but I have their T-35. Detail is absolutely superb. I would recommend their kits based on what I have seen thus far.

Zvezda: Again, I have only built one of their's. This was their M13/40 Italian medium tank (I have just posted a review on this kit in the Reviews section). Not very good, but it was from the old Italeri molds. There was a lot of flash and the plastic wasn't the greatest. I wouldn't say these guys make the best kits in the world.

I know I have limited experience with those brands, but I hope it helps a little.

Nic
REICH
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 46 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2002 - 01:35 AM UTC
I am new at Armorama and modelling (I started 3 years ago),but I know that ICM makes great models,because I build couple of them,they are excelent! :-)
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2002 - 11:13 PM UTC
Icm is good but check box when you get it sometimes they leave a few parts out. Also I have heard they came out with some figures that re great.
Zveda uses Italeri molds on most of their stuff
Alan I have heard makes pretty good stuff panzer 2 or along those lines. Their SU-76 Sucked flat out
mkctanker
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 36 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 01:53 AM UTC
To begin with you are lucky to see these kits in your store, my local store just started stocking alan. The rest I got off e-bay. As for alan I have built their panzer 1 F,very good track, the Marder II was a real challenge. This kit took some work to look right.
I have the ICM Luchs but have not built it yet but looks very good. Zuezda must have a deal with Italeri as some of their kits like the Panzerjager 1 has this logo on the bottom of the hull, it is also on the bottom of my bison 1 B by Maquette. The kits seem old but useable. As for Ironside I built the Lorraine Schelleper panzerjager 1, not for the beginer. I felt the parts were all a bit thick and I used the Tamiya 75mm gun to replace the kits.(The kit was suppose to have a turned barrel with it but mine did not). In general I think all these brands are good, some of the version are long over due so maybe I'm just happy to get them in any form. But if you don't mind alittle work they can be very enjoyable to build.

mkctanker
swampfox
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 52 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 05:59 AM UTC
I've built some of the kits from these manufacturers:
Zvezda: BT-5 and T-60: Very simplistic kits. reminds me of kits made back in the 70's
Alan: SU-76: thick parts and lousy fit.
ICM: T-35, T-28 and Luchs: Good detail and decent fit
Ironsides: Flammpanzer II: for the exerienced modeler, a multimedia kit with resin, white metal and injection plastic parts. The detail is very good though.
 _GOTOTOP