_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Panzerkampfwagen II Color Scheme
gr8voyager
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 200 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2002 - 02:32 PM UTC
I recently bought a Panzerkampfwagen II from Tamiya. Unfortunately, all the instructions are in Japanese. I was able to figure out how to build it by looking at the part numbers, but I can't make out the color schemes. I built the Ausf. F Version and would like to paint it as if it was part of Rommel's Afrika Corps Tank Divisions.

Would this Panzer II been painted only dark yellow if it was in North Africa? Any help would be appreciated along with technique of how you would airbrush this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
mkctanker
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 36 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2002 - 02:47 PM UTC
I think the Panzer II F would have an under coating of panzer grey as was the factory color. Then it would have a coat of desert tan over sprayed, thats why the tank in the pictures look two toned. The wind and sand would wear off the top coat exposing the gray under neath and some places more than others for a spotty look.

mkctanker
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2002 - 03:58 PM UTC
All the PzkFw II F references I have show a solid desert yellow paint scheme, though some worn spots showing the original gray are evident in at leasat a couple.
BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Armorama: 148 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2002 - 07:02 PM UTC
The DAK yellow was broken up by sprayed patches of a medium-dark green when units were operating in areas with some vegitation present.
cromwell
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 202 posts
Armorama: 178 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2002 - 07:34 PM UTC
All my references show that most if not all armour delivered to the DAK was panzer grey.

The crews out in Africa then camouflaged them using all sorts of material, local mud/dirt and sometimes dung.

Not all jobs gave the finished vehicle a regular finish, most of the time very blotchy with dark and light shade over the vehicle.

If your model is the old kit, I would think about replacing the tracks, When I built my PzKpfwII a few years back I was very unhappy with the elastic bands provided.

All the best with your project.
REMEARMR
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 443 posts
Armorama: 357 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 12:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The DAK yellow was broken up by sprayed patches of a medium-dark green when units were operating in areas with some vegitation present.

I too have this kit from tamiya (in english) and it shows the vehicle in either in dark yellow or dark yellow with green spots. These dark green spots are more like splodges as they are quite large. The best way I've seen to get this effect is to spray the whole vehicle dark green and then stick on small wads of cotton wool where you want the splodges,spray the vehicle dark yellow. Remove the cotton wool and you have your green splodges.

Hope this helps
Robbo

_GOTOTOP