_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Painting Tyres
Digger
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 94 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2002 - 07:00 PM UTC
What is the best way to paint tyres so they look dirty, dusty and been in the field for some time.

Do people use black as the base colour or some type of grey?

Cheers
Digger
octupus
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 411 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2002 - 07:49 PM UTC
Digger,

You can try spray a thin mist of flat earth on the tires to simulate dirt or dust.

Steve
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2002 - 09:23 PM UTC
Oi mate, I believe this topic was addressed before. Search trough the forums and you'll find it...

Mario M.
mkctanker
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 36 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 02:12 AM UTC
To do tires I think just flat black is fine, after all you'll just covor up the paint with weathering. I will use poly dirt thinned down as a wash on the hubs then on the tire itself I'll fill the brush with the thinned paint and pull down from the hub to the edge of the tread. This gives it a sun burst affect, then just wash the treads same as the hubs only alittle thicker on the paint.
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 03:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

To do tires I think just flat black is fine.....

Howdy,

I tend to use PollyScale "Scale Black" as it's not as black as black.... more on the gray side. After a thin black wash, they darken up real nice and then I start in on the earth tone drybrushing for the weathering.

HTH

Thanks,
Kevin Keefe
Mortars in Miniature
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,411 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 07:50 AM UTC
Polly Scale Grimey Black followed by a wash of burnt umber. A light drybrush of sand and there you go. For vehicle driven on both pavement and dirt, remember the contact surface of the tire should be black - not dirt colored.
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 3,179 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 08:17 AM UTC
I find a good highlight color to use is a sand (like testors Sand) or tan (Tamiya Buff) to lightly drybrush roadwheels with (trucks, tanks etc). Like the previous response said, try to keep the road/track contact points a little more black. I sometimes find myself looking at dump trucks for color directions or ideas.

NATE
Wisc. USA
Abrams101
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 146 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 09:11 AM UTC
I'ts a good idea to use a fine tip marker around the rim and then paint with fl. bl. then dry brush with shades of grey . thats what I do and I love the efect.
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,250 posts
Armorama: 464 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 10:18 AM UTC
Hola,
I know its been a long time since this post was first started, but I just got some pictures in and I took some of how I paint tires.
First I mix black with a flesh color, to a suitable faded black. Paint the whole tire in this, then paint the rim. Now get your pastels out and mix some earth tones and add a generous amount of thinner to this. Mix it good and smear all over the tire and set to dry.

Here are the results, on the left is the pastel wash smeared all over, and to the right is a finished tire, just use your fingers and wipe it off until you are satesfied, then spray a coat of dull coat over this to seal it!
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,250 posts
Armorama: 464 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 10:20 AM UTC
Hola again,

I just copied the post that I made long time ago under a different tire painting thread
Hope it helps
Digger
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 94 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 10:28 AM UTC
Thank you all for your tips and help.

Love the pics - they really show what I want to achieve.

Kind regards
Digger
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,088 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 06:40 PM UTC
Iīll double what Anders said! Pastels work great and easilly to weather tires.
Once again, I feel like you can come up with very good results even without reference material, just use common sense. Hereīs an example of rubber tires weathered with only neutral grey, sand and dark brown coloured pastels, mixed with water. I didnīt want to show too much mud and dirt chunks, but you can tell from the picture how the weather has been in the last a couple of days.

:-)

Toni
Maki
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 07:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hereīs an example of rubber tires weathered with only neutral grey, sand and dark brown coloured pastels, mixed with water. I didnīt want to show too much mud and dirt chunks, but you can tell from the picture how the weather has been in the last a couple of days.

Yes, it was snowing... like in the most of your dioramas.. Just kidding, man. Love those tyres.

As I've said there was a talk about this topic and you can find it here: Tyres

Mario M.
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,088 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 07:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes, it was snowing...

You...English Kniggiths! Your mother was a hampster and your father smelled of elderberries!
No no no! I donīt mean the snow! I mean the beautiful, subtle, artistic dirt under it! The snow just fell down. Yesterday it was +5C, the road was muddy when they towed the gun in position! Any Finnish Artillery Sergeant could tell that!
And of course itīs snowing! It always snows around here! (Yea right. And the streets of Helsinki are crowded with polar bears.)

(:-) (:-) (:-) #:-)

Toni

BTW. Only three of my five finished dioramas include snow! lol
Maki
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 07:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

BTW. Only three of my five finished dioramas include snow! lol

I know... it was hard to do snow in a 1941 North Africa diorama... #:-) (:-)

I'm kidding, your snow is the best looking snow I have seen so far. You do a great job with it and should be proud... Now, I'm waiting for a polar bear.

Mario M.
 _GOTOTOP