_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Rommel's Removals - Finished Möbelwagen
druid
Visit this Community
Finland
KitMaker: 211 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, April 22, 2005 - 09:32 AM UTC
I posted some in-progress pictures of my Möbelwagen's tracks earlier.

Now I've pretty much finished the model OOB and it's time to post the results. An interesting build because it was my first armor subject. I don't know why but it wasn't as satisfying as I had expected. Maybe that's due to the odd fighting compartment and the fact that there really isn't too much going on.

I must note that I'm not fully satisfied yet. There's a few spots that could be touched up (aren't there always?) but the biggest thing that's bugging me is totally different: With my previous model I could say "this is it". Now I don't have that feeling but I put the vehicle on the shelf anyway to wait for further inspiration.

So if anyone has suggestions on how to improve it and make it more "lifelike" they are more than welcome.

And finally the pictures *drumroll*

First an overall view.

The same from a lower angle which hopefully shows the tracks better.

Front closeup.

Rear closeup. Tried to personalise this a bit so the mudguard is slightly bent.

Closeup of some damage modeling that didn't go too well. Be careful with that candle people!

Track and wheels detail. I should probably darken the teeth on the drive sprocket. They practically shine through the tracks.

Here's a closeup of the Flak 43. These parts can't really be seen when the gun is in place. Notice how I managed to dislodge a part when I removed the gun for photos.

Side view of the gun. I wish it was brighter because I'm quite happy with the worn leather effect on the seats. Maybe I'll take another photo of it.

And that's all folks! If anyone is wondering what the odd title means let me enlighten you. It's a pun. Möbelwagen translates as "furniture van". This nickname was given to the panzer by its crews due to the boxy shape. When I get a base for the tank I'll probably put a plaque on it saying "Rommel's Removals". What do you think?

If you want to see something funny related to this Tamiya kit, check my coincidence thread.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, April 22, 2005 - 12:13 PM UTC
I understand the pun but the word "removal" doesn't translate in American English to a word associated with furniture moving. It is more closely associated with garbage or refuse.
druid
Visit this Community
Finland
Posted: Friday, April 22, 2005 - 12:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I understand the pun but the word "removal" doesn't translate in American English to a word associated with furniture moving. It is more closely associated with garbage or refuse.

Damn! Thanks for the info. I had an Aussie call it the removals van which gave me the idea. It seems to be that way in Brit/Aus English so I guess 2 out of 3* that ain't so bad.

* I know I'm probably offending a dozen different officially recognised English variants with this. Sorry.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Friday, April 22, 2005 - 03:54 PM UTC
Nice clean build. Great job on the cammo.
Couple of suggestions: Don't darken the teeth on the drive sprocket. Shine them up with something. I use graphite. Those teeth drive through the mating holes on that track and get worn to a high sheen.
Second, when I built mine I tried to lay a good wash in all of the hinges and added a bit of paint chipping to the sides where they are hinged. I tried to make it look like the sides had been put up and down many times.

I hope this helps and makes some sense.

Fine job,

Shaun
druid
Visit this Community
Finland
Posted: Friday, April 22, 2005 - 09:29 PM UTC
Thanks Shaun. The shining is a good idea. I tried washing all the nooks and crannies but somehow it didn't show much. Maybe I'll have to do it again. Thanks for the tips.
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2,832 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Friday, April 22, 2005 - 10:29 PM UTC
Great job mate, Really like the paint job.
Robin, the pun is worded correctly, here in Australia at least, Removals is short for furniture removals.
Cheers
Parks20
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 737 posts
Posted: Friday, April 22, 2005 - 11:22 PM UTC
I think your being a little too hard on your build. You did a nice job. Do you plan to set this in a dio, or leave it as is?
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 02:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Great job mate, Really like the paint job.
Robin, the pun is worded correctly, here in Australia at least, Removals is short for furniture removals.
Cheers

That's why I used the term "in American English" and did not suggest an appropriate American term. I just wanted him to realize that the pun won't translate properly over here.
druid
Visit this Community
Finland
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 02:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think your being a little too hard on your build. You did a nice job. Do you plan to set this in a dio, or leave it as is?

Thanks. I think I'll just get a wooden base for it now and put a roadlike groundwork on it. Nothing complex. The only thing I may add is the included figure. It's a good way to bring it to scale especially to viewers who are "not in the know".

At first I was planning a broken bridge dio but it would have included so many things I haven't tried before that I decided to postpone that idea. I'm starting to like how the wagon looks in the cabinet with the rest of my few models so I think I'll move on to a modest vignette with another topic instead of a dio.
 _GOTOTOP