_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Turkorama celebrates Anzac Day
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 6,405 posts
Armorama: 1,850 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 06:21 PM UTC
Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives .... You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours ... you, the mothers, who sent their sons from far away countries, wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.
ATATÜRK

We left the Gallipoli peninsula having fought The Turks and having lost thousands of men.We respect and admire the patriotism of the Turkish soldiers. Australians love them like they love their sons.The Turkish soldiers' patriotism is all example for all humanity.
With indestedness and deep respect.
LORD CASEY

It was good to see what they said years ago are still the same in the 90th anniversary.Once again,we celebrated Anzac Day here in Turkey with our Australian and New Zealand brothers and sisters shouting together We were never Enemies.

Turkorama wishes this brothership will last forever.

P.S : Hakka Dance was great
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,088 posts
Armorama: 1,257 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 07:01 PM UTC
Thank you Engin and all Turks for looking after our fallen brothers in your land.
I attended the dawn service in Hamilton today it was great to see hundreds and hundreds of people there.

Quoted Text

P.S : Hakka Dance was great

I am very happy that the Haka was performed.

P.S Did you attend the service at Gallipoli?
fanai
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 2,654 posts
Armorama: 208 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 08:42 PM UTC
Thanks Engin we had one just down the road from us- the only shame is that some people in Australia are wearing medals that the either didn't earn or that they were never at that particular action- It takes away from the true heros - those that either paid the sacrifice or those who returned they deserve the respect. we salute the brave soldiers who served during the Gallipoli battles-(engin my great grandfather was killed in france as he went and joined after the losses of Gallipoli -he was 34 when he died in his first and only battle - the battle of Frommelle- australia worst day for casualties and Fred was in the 15th Brigade who was hit the worst) thanks again for your words.
A brother modeller
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,088 posts
Armorama: 1,257 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 09:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

the only shame is that some people in Australia are wearing medals that the either didn't earn or that they were never at that particular action- It takes away from the true heros

Ian, we have had this problem in NZ over the past couple of years, It really disgusts me to think someone would want to do something like this, I don't mind family members wearing relations medals this is great to see.

Once again happy ANZAC day
jasmils
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,016 posts
Armorama: 745 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 09:47 PM UTC
G'day all,
Well thats another ANCZC day over for this year. Good turn out this morning at the dawn service at my old regiment. Good to catch up with a few mates that I havent seen for a while. Promises made that we will stay in touch, but proberly wont happen till we see each other again next ANZAC day or in October. But good to catch up anyway.

Engin, mate, Hope you had a good day my freind. And didnt drink to much Turkish beer .
Mustafa was a wise man. And as your country men have said as well as mine "We were never Enemies".

The Ode
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;age shall not weary them nor the years condemn; at the going down of the sun and in the morning ; We will remember them.

LEST WE FORGET
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2,832 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 10:45 PM UTC
Hope it meant as much to all of you as it did to me.
Have a good one guys.
Cheers
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 6,405 posts
Armorama: 1,850 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 11:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hope it meant as much to all of you as it did to me.

I think this photo tells what it means to both nations.

you can see more photos in this link
Best regards
ara398
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 27 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2005 - 12:31 AM UTC
I'd also like to add my appreciation to the Turkish people Engin. It's comforting to know that one's countrymen are in such good hands.

I don't know about anyone else, but I find ANZAC day a particularly depressing time. I lost my father two years ago (ex 2/12 Bn AIF - Lae, Buna, Shaggy Ridge, Nadzab, Finschhafen) and whilst serving in the army for 9 years made many close friendships with (then) serving Vietnam vets - some no longer with us.

Oh well :-(

Regards,
Adrian
auburn
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 927 posts
Armorama: 22 posts
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2005 - 12:54 AM UTC
HI Fellas,thanks Engin, for the first time ever, the day hurt bit inside,,perhaps thats good, but when they say they ANZAC,S have all gone.......perhaps the Turkish boys too have all gone too.. with that in mind our family member are now confined to the pages of history.....and old photos........anyway the HAKA, and I dont mined saying brought tears to my eyes and a good bit of pride......
happy days guys Phil......
 _GOTOTOP