_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Attaching stowage items to an AFV?
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2005 - 02:19 AM UTC
I was wondering what adhesive you guys use to attach the stowage and extra items to an AFV after they and the AFV have been painted.

Or would it be more practical to cement everything to the outside of the AFV and then paint the whole thing, and in the end paint each stowage item the desired colour?

I hope my question is clear? And thanks in advance for any feedback.
ex-royal
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,009 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2005 - 02:23 AM UTC
G'day Hisham,
I put everything on the vehicle and then paint. I have found its far to easy to muck up your base coat with glue etc when trying to attatch stowage etc. I think you will find that the all the big names in Modeling do the same thing..its just easier and far less complicated. HTH
cheers,
Bryan
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2005 - 02:50 AM UTC
I leave all the tools and smaller bits that do not get painted the same color as the rest of the hull. I hand paint them the colors they go, then attach them with superglue before weathering. Once weathering is complete, I spray it all with dullcoat to hide any shiny glue spots. I find this easier than trying to do the detail painting of the smaller items when they are on the vehicle.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2005 - 03:44 AM UTC
I tend to hand paint everything off the vehicle before attaching. I build primariy Allied so I like to vary the shades of any tools that might be OD before they are attached. I also do some weathering on the vehicle before storage is attached AND after. I figure that all the tool may or may not always be attached to they get a different pattern of weathering.
M-60-A3
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 808 posts
Armorama: 479 posts
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2005 - 04:00 AM UTC
Hello Hisham,
I put the stowage on after painting. As Gino and Alan have said, I too, find it easier to paint the stowage off the vehicle.
I don't find attaching it afterwards to be all that difficult.
In the end, I think it's all a matter of personal preference. Try it both ways and see which way is the most comfortable for you. As in most aspects of modeling, it's a matter of trail and error.
Joe
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
Armorama: 1,864 posts
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2005 - 04:02 AM UTC
I use tenex to glue everything plastic to my vehicles. Because Tenex does not react to well to paint (it clogs my touch n' flow needle), I paint both the vehicle and the gear, sand the back of the part that is to be glued and sand the surface area that the piece is to be glued to. I then attach the piece and then touch up what I over sanded. It works quite well and given the incomprehensibly small amount of Tenex needed to bond (literally) the plastic together, mess is almost nonexistant (provided everything goes well).

Jeff
SpiritsEye
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 1,041 posts
Armorama: 533 posts
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2005 - 04:05 AM UTC
Hi Hisham

For me, tools and stowage are painted seperately and then glued to the (already painted) vehicle using white glue.

I reckon white glue gives me more 'control' than CA glue. If i made a mistake, i can quickly wipe away the white glue and do it all over again.]

Hope this helps

GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2005 - 04:06 AM UTC
I leave mostly everything off the central model - adding them in stages on the way to completion. I do not find it difficult at all - but more time-consuming. I treat a crowbar going on a Sherman like a little model onto itself. Adding it to a painted finish is easy to do - just finding the right technique makes it hard for some modelers - that's all.

Getting this practice down is no different than mastering gluing two pieces of plastic together without marring surrounding detail or leaving gaps where they aren't intended.

Just my experiences...

Gunnie
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2005 - 07:16 AM UTC
Thanks for all your input guys. I guess painting the stowage seperately doe seem mor logical, but I just thought that it would be a pain trying to find a way to hold a whole bunch of cans and tarps and stuff while painting them. You know, like small clamps or somthing like that so as not to hold them by hand.

SpiritsEye: You mean the white glue that is used to glue wood actually holds these painted things together?

USNAVY2534: I've been using Tenax but I'm finding that it dries way too quickly cause I'm using a brush. That needle thing never worked.

Well, thanks again guys. I'm working on a Tamiya sherman right now and I want to load it up with extra stowage. Wish me luck.
M-60-A3
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 808 posts
Armorama: 479 posts
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2005 - 08:02 AM UTC
Hisham,
Best of luck on your Sherman. Hope to see it real soon.
Joe
SpiritsEye
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 1,041 posts
Armorama: 533 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 01:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

SpiritsEye: You mean the white glue that is used to glue wood actually holds these painted things together?

Yup, that's the glue. Elmer's white glue to be exact.

I use it because it doesnt dry fast. So less chances of screwing up and it dries up transparent.

I used it on a number of my models and they still hold.

_GOTOTOP