_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Dragon Firefly Track question
Deusmex
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 80 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2005 - 03:39 AM UTC
I just got the dragon firefly Vc and very nice it looks too . There is however an option on the tracks for what appears to be width extensions. Are these widely used? or were they for a specific time period (winter say) ?
This will be my first kit using these indy tracks and also my first shot at PE stuff too , so Im pretty excited to get started.Another Brit armour kit to add to the growing( albeit slowly) collection.
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2005 - 03:55 AM UTC
hi rob,

the firefly is a nice kit,

the tracks are the british pattern steel chevron, and were widely used in NW europe.

the 'duckbill' track extensions were intended for winter use, but as the improved traction they were used more often. there are lots of pictures of tanks in normandy with them fitted.

in my opinion the dragon tracks arent that good, the design makes them very fiddly to assemble, but once they are done they do look good. just take your time with them!

The PE in the kit is pretty good though

regards

joe
M-60-A3
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 808 posts
Armorama: 479 posts
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2005 - 04:06 AM UTC
Hi Rob,
To my understanding the "duckbills" were used to disperse the weight of the tank on soft soil. So, not being an expert on this , I would think that would include rainy seasons, winter or whatever.
Joe
Deusmex
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 80 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2005 - 05:54 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies guys , not sure if I`ll use the extensions but its nice to know what they are .
 _GOTOTOP