Hosted by Darren Baker
Neat little kits.
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,315 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 02:12 AM UTC
Hi, I was at the local hobby store this past week end and found a couple of really nice little 1/72 scale models that I really do like.

The first is one of Dragon's new MAUS super heavy tanks that is listed under their new 'Armor Pro' series. It has very good detailing to it, and even inlcudes as an extra, the prototype weighted turret that was used for testing. Plus a PE ladder to go with it and PE screens too. It has plastic tracks instead of those really quite nasty 'rubber bands' that the smaller scales seem to be saddled with. Of course, being something of a German-holic when it comes to armor, I grabbed this one up as quickly as I could. Ha, ha!

The second one I am even more impressed with. It is Academy's little 2 1/2 top 6 by 6 Allied cargo truck. This one has lots and lots of details to be added to it. Quite a bit when you consider the scale of this thing. A complete chassis,engine, drive train, etc. The roof of the cab is made so that a modeler, if they wish, can add an optional mounting for a .50 cal. mg. to it. And the kit also has a complete line-up of accessories to add to the cargo area, again, if the modeler so wishes: barrels, gas cans, bomb racks, crates, extra weapons, etc. About the only think it doesn't include is a tarp for the covering over this area. Oh well, nothing is perfect.

It would be really, really nice is a major model maker, (are you listening Trumpeter?), would come out with a 1/16 scale version of this truck!!!!! Ha, ha!

Take care, Sgirty
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 02:19 AM UTC
Sqirty, I couldn't agree more - there are soming extraordinary kits coming out (and available) in 1/72nd. Most impessive i've seen recently, was DML's new Leopard...

I agree about the Maus, but wait till you se the new Hornisse....Jim
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 02:37 AM UTC
I like Dragon's new 1/72 scale armor kits. The parts are not as crisp as Revell of Germany, but are pretty good for the scale. I just got a whole batch of Braille Scale armor in the mail including the Dragon E-100 Super Tank, new Roden SdKfz 234 Puma and the Calibre 72 weighted HMMWV tires.

Right now the best Dragon armor kit I have is the new Armor Pro Elefant, a retool of their first 1/72 scale kit and the Armor Pro Jagdpanther early. Another nice kit.
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,315 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 03:29 AM UTC
Hi, Sabot: I did see the Roden kit of the Puma at the store this past week end as well, but didn't have any idea of just how good it was. The dealer said that this manufacturer does a lot of airplane kits, but he hadn't seen any of their armor to tell if this was any good or not. What do you think of it?

Yes, jimbrae, I think I will eventually acquire some more of the 'Armor Pro' series, esp. the W.W. II kits, as I go along. Am really quite pleased with their quality and the level of detail in this small scale. I also picked up one of Hasegawa's little Tiger I (late) vehicles this last week end as well, and have it just about done. It's a nice kit and all, but you can sure tell that by comparing it to the "latest" that this kit is one or two generations removed from what is now being offered.

Take care, Sgirty
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 03:32 AM UTC

I've also just updated the latest news story on the Armor Pro story with new images of the Hornisse - wonderful!...Jim

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/news/1034
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 05:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi, Sabot: I did see the Roden kit of the Puma at the store this past week end as well, but didn't have any idea of just how good it was. The dealer said that this manufacturer does a lot of airplane kits, but he hadn't seen any of their armor to tell if this was any good or not. What do you think of it?

He is correct, Roden made their reputation making pretty good aircraft kits. Their first armor kit was the 1/72 scale Josef Stalin (JS)III. A very good kit. Then the came out with a fairly comprehensive line of SdKfz 8-rads (231, 232, 263, 233, 234/1 and 234/2) series armored cars. The Puma is the latest one and it looks good to me. I have two others, the Stummel 233 (armored car with 75mm howitzer) and the 263 (DAK 8-rad radio car). Not quite up to Revell quality, but really close, especially from an eastern European company.
 _GOTOTOP