_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Bullet holes
Gatekeeper
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 142 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 05:29 PM UTC
HEY!

Iam Cris, 14, in Australia
I have been makin models for the past couple of months and I am working on my second dio.
Does anyone know how do make bullet holes in armour???...I have an M16 half track and I want to add some details by putting in some bullet holes. Does anyone know how???

Thanks
Cris :-)
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,248 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 05:59 PM UTC
Also sent you a pm.

Try here:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/3311&page=1

And welcome to Armorama!
Abrams101
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 146 posts
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2002 - 09:57 AM UTC
First of all ,welcome to armorama cris. youll really love the site .and get alot of info from it.
now when you model bulletholes in armor you must keep in mind that the germans had enough a.p. (armor peircing) shots to turn an american tank into swiss chease but a german tank not so much destuction was found unless the shot hit the ammo cases. so what im saying is if your modeling a german tank your best bet for realism would be to only put one or two a.p. shots in the armor . but on the other hand the germans put a round in anything they saw (just to make sure It was knocked out).
when I simulate an a.p. shot I use a match head and melt the armor . now that will leave melted plastic around the hole ,leave it there becouse a.p. did the same thing .
and on slanted armor like a Jagdpanther the a.p. would deflect , so it would be a close call and thats it . in that case youd only get halfway through the armor. so in short therea alot of research to take in consideratoin to get it corect.
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2002 - 10:17 AM UTC
Another key point - when you say "bullet holes" ... do you actually mean from a BULLET (as in rifle or MG), or from other forms of ammo? Bullets from anything smaller than a 30 cal would have a very (very!0 hard time piercing even the light armor like the M-22 Locust tanks... you have to get into either the higher velocity "heavy MG's", or shaped charges (panzerfaust), and general artilliary A/P rounds to really show consistant penetration of allied armor. And short of a bazooka, there just wasn't much short of field artillary that the allies had that could penetrate front line german armor battle tanks. Scratches and dents are more realistic unless you are talking about "penetration rounds" as opposed to "bullet holes".
bison44
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 471 posts
Armorama: 275 posts
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2002 - 10:28 AM UTC
Hi Chris, I usually use a safety pin or a needle. Heat it up and it works good for small calibre holes. How are u doing your DIO? Anything else besides the half track in it? You should post some pics when u are finished.
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2002 - 11:41 AM UTC
I read that the Italian CV33-38 tankettes had such thin armour that machine gun bullets would penetrate and then bounce around inside the tank, killing and maiming the crew. Talk about a useless AFV. Crielmodels makes a couple, but it's all resin and is very expensive, just in case I piqued anybody's interest.....

As to your question, Gatekeeper, I'm glad you asked, because I have been wondering the same thing.

Nic
jackel
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 4 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 11:03 AM UTC
Somewhere I got hold of a kit used in high school science classes, probably biology, that has a long needle with a wooden handle on it (don't get burnt from heat with this). I just heat the needle with a cigarette lighter and do various things to the plastic surface to get bullet effects, shell holes, near misses, etc. Try various heat and insertion depths and angles. It is fun and practice makes it more so. A good hobby, science store or maybe a school science lab/catalog may have the kits (also comes with scapel, eye dropper, etc).
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 11:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Somewhere I got hold of a kit used in high school science classes, probably biology, that has a long needle with a wooden handle on it (don't get burnt from heat with this). I just heat the needle with a cigarette lighter and do various things to the plastic surface to get bullet effects, shell holes, near misses, etc. Try various heat and insertion depths and angles. It is fun and practice makes it more so. A good hobby, science store or maybe a school science lab/catalog may have the kits (also comes with scapel, eye dropper, etc).

This post is almost 3 years old. I think he got a satisfactory answer back in 2002. What is the point of bringing it back up again? Original poster hasn't even been on the website in the last 2 years. He probably found girls and isn't even doing models anymore, ahh, to be a teenager again.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 02:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This post is almost 3 years old. I think he got a satisfactory answer back in 2002. What is the point of bringing it back up again? Original poster hasn't even been on the website in the last 2 years.

This gentleman is a very new poster and was
a) probably looking at back posts to learn new techniques
b) trying to help a fellow modeler (a very worthwhile thing)
c) probably didn't notice the date of the original post at the top of the reply.

I'd cut him some slack as he is new and trying to contribute, which is what we all want around here, I believe.

Quoted Text

He probably found girls and isn't even doing models anymore, ahh, to be a teenager again.

Ain't that the truth!

Paul
 _GOTOTOP