_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
In Progress Hetzer Pics
FiveOduece
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 159 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 05:05 PM UTC
Guys & Gals, this is my first attempt at a model in many years....many many many years...I was 15 to be exact. This is the DML Early Hetzer with Aber PE(nembie to PE, and there are a few mistakes) Base Coat is MM Acrylic Dunkelgelb, with Olivgrun, and Polly Scale Panzer Red Brown. I used putty on the Mantlet and Kugellafette. I still need to do some paint touch up and weathering to the model. When doing the camo I was having trouble keeping the paint from getting speckles(newbie to airbrushing, still working on getting the skill of paint and pressure right). Just wanted to share with you everyone. Brent

thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2005 - 05:19 AM UTC
Nice little Hetzer you've got going there ...Welcome back to the hobby ...You picked a good subject to start up again ..Those Dml tracks are going to drive you nuts... The speckles are caused by your paint being too thick...just thin it out a bit more and you should be fine... I spray at about 25 to 30 psi but play around and find out what you are comfortable with. You can fix most of those speckles with a little retouching with the dark yellow base coat ..at the same time mist a bit of the base coat over the rest of the camo and it'll give a worn look to the camo.

Rick
Parks20
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 737 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2005 - 08:49 AM UTC
Not too shabby for being absent for so long. The air brush will take a little time to get used to. Same with the pe. Just be patient, and persistant. I just finished the DML Hetz not long ago, and those tracks are going to give you a little trouble-be prepared.
Vadster
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 987 posts
Armorama: 444 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2005 - 09:12 AM UTC
Hello fellow Tennessean! Looks good to these eyes, however, should those "tabs" be on either side of the mantlet?
rv1963
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Armorama: 315 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2005 - 09:35 AM UTC
Brent i think your Hetzer looks great for your first kit in 15 years, keep us posted on your progress. I know how you feel i completed my first armor model after 10 years about a month ago made some mistakes to but i really enjoyed it, i hope you enjoy yours.
FiveOduece
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 159 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2005 - 02:05 PM UTC
THANKS to everyone for your replies.
Richard, I will thin the paint further, I was afraid to get it to thin, but I see now I need to thin more.
Alex, although the tabs look out of place, they are correct for this Early Hetzer. (Memphis here)
The tracks took 30 minutes per set, I used Testors liquid cement, this allowed enough time to adjust. I had already read the multiple post on the indy tracks, and took the best ideas from different members. What I disliked most about the tracks was the fact that mine needed sanding...talk about boring....
I have done some touch painting, and have the road wheels painted, I will try and post some pics in the upcoming days.
Brent
 _GOTOTOP