Dioramas: Flora & Fauna
Trees, shrubs, nature and animals.
Hosted by Darren Baker
What to do with this dio?
KitMaker: 4,303 posts
Armorama: 1,051 posts
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2005 - 02:57 AM UTC
Ciao guys and gals,

This is my 3th attempt to post this, I have some trouble with the site today. OK Here we go:

This dio realy got me.

It represents a Fiat 3000 in Interbellum Italian coastal defence colourscheme. The Fiat and the metal tanker figure are from Tauro models.

I was happy planting the weeds as sort of grass or korn or something and it looked OK in the beginning.
But I've stopped because I have the feeling it's gonna look like a big shoebrush instead of a dio..
I have an area open now in front of the model, but does this look OK? I don't know what to think about it...
Perhaps adding something to the dio, but what?

If you got any , PLEASE SPEAK UP!

Thanks!

Paul

Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 5,435 posts
Armorama: 2,762 posts
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2005 - 03:26 AM UTC
Hi

I'd make some more difference in the colour of the grass. The tall gras has 1 colour and the grass on the ground has 1 colour. Make some darker and light spots in that grass, that's also how it looks in real. (not to big differences, just small ones to "break it up" a bit)

You could add a low tree or some bushes to the dio. Maybe a dried out one.....

Good luck!
Martin
Probuilder
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 193 posts
Armorama: 59 posts
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2005 - 04:30 AM UTC
Stuff some Lichen of varying shades in and amongst the foilage you already have just to break up the "brush" look.
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2005 - 04:59 AM UTC
Ola Paul

What I would like to advice you is take a scissor and cut the Grasses to uneven hights. So not all on the same level. This way you get a more interesting look. Also when it is a natural field and not a field made by a Farmer you will see all kinds of other growth between it. Weeds, Small trees/bushes.
Also as already is mentioned get some variety in the color of the grass you already have

All together would that become a very interesting display of your vehicle. I actually like it already now with some tweaking it will be perfect

jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2005 - 09:52 PM UTC
Paul, I agree with the others in that you need to mix up the colors and different vegetation. I think this will solve any problems you might be having. Cheers Kevin
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2005 - 10:39 PM UTC
color, height, and shape - that's all you need. Vary them all and you're golden.

I personally would put shorter strands of the same grass material between the main 'clumps'. Whatever you choose, there does need to be something to break up the gaps between clumps
Parks20
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 737 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2005 - 11:35 PM UTC
ditto
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2005 - 01:03 AM UTC
ground litter.. leaves , sticks, dead grass, detritus..

I cant tell from the pics if the ground is covered with a grass or if that is the soil, in pic one it looks like sand/soil, but pic two looks like static grass.In addition to the other suggestions, I would add that there needs to be some variety in and amongst the grass clumps.

Get some thyme, some oregano, some parsley flakes and mix them together crush them up a bit (but not to powder) and then sprinkle this around at ground level. A misting of thinned white glue and water will hold them down.
Then airbrush in some color variety and you're groundwork is golden.
Hudson and Allen make a "Forest litter" that has silver birch catkins -whatever they are- in it that looks like 1/35th tree leaves

Other than that, looks good.
Mike
Probuilder
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 193 posts
Armorama: 59 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2005 - 05:18 AM UTC
This is a coastal setting right?? so you are on the sandy coast area and the tank is in those willowy reed like plants one always see's at certain shorelines right? I still think just a little vary colored vegetation aroung the base of your existing plants will work. Maybe a piece of driftwood or an empty bottle in the sand?(half buried)
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Armorama: 504 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2005 - 06:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What I would like to advice you is take a scissor and cut the Grasses to uneven hights. So not all on the same level.

I was going to suggest the same thing.

It's too bad your base wasn't a little larger, I would have suggested the addition of another figure holding a camera taking a photo of the other figure and the tank. It sort of looks like he's posing for one.

Best wishes
Steve
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,312 posts
Armorama: 1,054 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2005 - 10:25 AM UTC
Main thing that jumps out at me is that your grass grows in clumps. This is not very natural. Just like Scott said, fill in thes gaps with additional grass.
KitMaker: 4,303 posts
Armorama: 1,051 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2005 - 11:46 AM UTC
Hey everybody!

Thanks for all your tips and ideas! It's obvious: variety in height and colour and filling holes between the clumps with leaves (the thyme, oregano and parsley flakes mix suggested by MLD is worth the trying!)
Probuilder, the driftwood or an empty bottle is indeed a great idea; it makes it a more coastal scene and points to the use of the tank for coastal defence tasks.
(Why did I not come up with that myself )

Thanks again every one of you for taking time to look and post comment! I'll post some result pictures soon!

PAUL
 _GOTOTOP