_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
server response
BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Armorama: 148 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 11:46 PM UTC
Hello there Skipper,

I've been having problems with response time on the site. I just ran my 'puter through the ringer yesterday and got an op-check go on all the bit tests---is anyone else having problems too?
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2002 - 12:12 AM UTC
I think it is Jim doing his thing. When more then 20 people on SSSSLLLLLOOOOOOWW.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2002 - 02:11 AM UTC
I'm afraid it's a little more complicated than that. (This is an assumption) In upgrading our account at Interland, they moved our files to a different (larger) server. It appears we are sharing this server with one or more VERY busy sites that are causing the slow-down.

I will take this matter in hand though. At the level ($monthly) we are at now I can just about afford a dedicated server (meaning one that is all ours). So that might be my next step if Interland can't rectify the problem.

Jim
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2002 - 03:08 AM UTC
Jim,
just to load this page to type my reply took 56 seconds. Pages with more content take ages.
Earlier this afternoon I was about to monitor the latest posts, and I gave up since it took too long to load the pages.
I have ADSL, but still the loading sequence is sssssssssssssssssssssssslllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwww #:-)

Jan
herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 939 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2002 - 03:24 AM UTC
Hmm

I noticed some slow-downs over the last week or so, but today I'm just ripping through stuff. I'm on a LAN.

Andy
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2002 - 04:23 AM UTC
Hmm....still a little slow. But better.

Interlands says all this is a result of the news from WorldCom about their foul-up with IPs worldwide.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=575&u=/nm/20021003/wr_nm/tech_worldcom_outage_dc_5&printer=1

Jim
herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 939 posts
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2002 - 09:31 AM UTC
Well, maybe it's a Mac thing , but it's still plenty fast for me!

Got a new dual processor G4 with two monitors.
#:-) #:-) #:-)

drooooool
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2002 - 11:02 AM UTC
Jim, I had noticed a slow down over the last several days as well but as of this afternoon it seems to be back up to normal speed again.
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2002 - 12:15 PM UTC
Skipper (I like that one, Jim !),
Right now speed is at normal again. Only this morning (probably still nighttime in de US) it was so slow I had to leave Armorama. I timed the delays: some pages took over five minutes, others resulted in a "the page cannot be displayed" message. I'm glad to see we're up and running again. I don't know what you did with the interland people, but you certainly played the right strings ! It must feel terrible : putting in so much work to make it the best possible modeling site and then being stuck on server issues...
 _GOTOTOP