Hosted by Darren Baker
m34 painted
Pedro
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Pomorskie, Poland
KitMaker: 1,208 posts
Armorama: 1,023 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 01, 2005 - 06:59 AM UTC
Painted OD green first layer , humbrol 155.
For the front marker light mold I pressed the m 113s rear lights into some GreenStuff . when it was dry i pushed heated sprue into the mold, then cut off suitable slice. Last thing was to glue the back of the light from one that came with the truck. I plan to scratchbuild som wipers for the windshiel, then the tissue roof.

Any critique and suggestions ar welcome
Cheers
Pedro

M-60-A3
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 808 posts
Armorama: 479 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 01, 2005 - 08:10 AM UTC
Pedro,
Looks like you've done a good job on your build. The only thing for me is that it looks too plain. No variation in color and no weathering (that I can detect). I think a bit of weathering would help bring it to life.
You have a very solid foundation to build on, just take it a step or two farther and add a bit of dust, dirt and grime.
Joe
Pedro
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 01, 2005 - 08:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Pedro,
Looks like you've done a good job on your build. The only thing for me is that it looks too plain. No variation in color and no weathering (that I can detect). I think a bit of weathering would help bring it to life.
You have a very solid foundation to build on, just take it a step or two farther and add a bit of dust, dirt and grime.
Joe

I will Joe, I will. It will have another layer of OD green, then I'll move on to washing, highlighting and finaly weathering

Pedro
SoldatHugh
Visit this Community
St. Petersburg, Russia
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 01, 2005 - 10:00 AM UTC
Bejbe, you have done a good job there[:] BUKY BUKY
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 01, 2005 - 10:02 AM UTC
very nice truck, how did you do the tires?
Pedro
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 01, 2005 - 10:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

very nice truck, how did you do the tires?

Thanks Shain!. The tires were sprayed with black satin humbrol('cause I haven't got the matt in stock) and then just washed(almost a filter) with humbrol 155 and 29 enamel .
Pedro
Pedro
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 07:02 AM UTC
Here's my truck with some highlighting attempt, however my airbrush doesen't seem to be as accurate to give me satisfying effect. I also forgot about the doors... When it will be done , I'll start to wash it.

Cheers,
Pedro
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 12:14 PM UTC
Very nice so far Pedro - I can see your highlights/tones clearly. No need to overdo it . Are you going to paint your National Insignia and other markings - or use decals?

Gunnie
Pedro
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 05:18 PM UTC
Hi Gunnie!

I'm definitely going to paint the stars with an airbrush aided by suitable stencil that I will carve myself.
As for the numbers and markings i think I'll use the kits decals.
In the future I intend to put it on a small base with a driver standing next to it. So I have a question : do you know who makes a suitable figure? Or maybe it will be better to convert some gi figure e.g. from DML's Nam series?
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 02:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Gunnie!

I'm definitely going to paint the stars with an airbrush aided by suitable stencil that I will carve myself.
As for the numbers and markings i think I'll use the kits decals.
In the future I intend to put it on a small base with a driver standing next to it. So I have a question : do you know who makes a suitable figure? Or maybe it will be better to convert some GI figure e.g. from DML's Nam series?

As the stars go make sure that the one on the hood has the point to the front (bumper). The instructions are wrong in the placement. On all trucks in the Nam era the stars are reversed from the WW II and post war era.
JimF
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 717 posts
Armorama: 621 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 03:58 AM UTC
Very good looking truck... it might be interesting to leave the doors looking "newer" than the rest of the truck... looking forward to see more pictures of your progress
Pedro
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 05:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As the stars go make sure that the one on the hood has the point to the front (bumper). The instructions are wrong in the placement. On all trucks in the Nam era the stars are reversed from the WW II and post war era.

Hey Animal!
I've already noticed that as I was checking your gallery for the right size of the hood star, as it is too big in the kit decals Thanks

Cheers,
Pedro
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 06:48 AM UTC
The door stars fro the decal kit are close to the right size for the hood. You would be correct to omit the star on the hood also if the truck is depicting a Nam truck. A lot of the trucks had the target, star, on the doors and hood removed. So if you chose not to use them you would be correct also.
Pedro
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 07:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The door stars fro the decal kit are close to the right size for the hood. You would be correct to omit the star on the hood also if the truck is depicting a Nam truck. A lot of the trucks had the target, star, on the doors and hood removed. So if you chose not to use them you would be correct also.

Thanks for the tip
Wise thing it was to remove those target stars, I dunno yet if I'll place them or not though... Probably I'll be too lazy to make the stencills

Pedro
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 08:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What reason is there that the stars point differently?

BTW the shading on the M34 is very nicely done. Looks faded.
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 08:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What reason is there that the stars point differently?

Policy change. Someone said the point of the star should point the way forward. Go figure.

I am just glad that they have done away with them all together. At least in white.
Pedro
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 09:22 AM UTC
Hmmm...
I think I'll paint the reversed star on the hood, and leave the doors without stars. It'll show two characteristic feautures of the truck used in vietnam on one egsample

Quoted Text

Very good looking truck... it might be interesting to leave the doors looking "newer" than the rest of the truck... looking forward to see more pictures of your progress

Jim, I'm still wondering on the "newer" looking doors. I dont know if to unify the weathering with the rest of the truck or not. Just need some reason, why could they look that way?

Pedro
Pedro
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 09, 2005 - 07:43 AM UTC
I was wondering, as the stars on vietnam trucks were removed, were they repainted in OD green so nobody would notice they were there? Or repainted with black stars or something that would show the shape underneath, like on some shermans or on the GT Gamblers truck picture in animal's gallery? I've made the stencil for the stars and already painted star on the hood. But then I will either paint something covered on the dors or leave it plain green. Anyone knows the possibilities?
Animal, Gunnie?
Thanks in advance!
:-H
Pedro
JimF
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 717 posts
Armorama: 621 posts
Posted: Monday, May 09, 2005 - 07:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hmmm...
I think I'll paint the reversed star on the hood, and leave the doors without stars. It'll show two characteristic feautures of the truck used in vietnam on one egsample

Quoted Text

Jim, I'm still wondering on the "newer" looking doors. I dont know if to unify the weathering with the rest of the truck or not. Just need some reason, why could they look that way?

Pedro

I was thinking htey had been replaced and/or repainted for some reason... like doing a neat job of removing the target stars....
Pedro
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 09, 2005 - 09:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I was thinking htey had been replaced and/or repainted for some reason... like doing a neat job of removing the target stars....

Pretty simple, yet ingenious, thats an explanation.
I just wonder now if it wouldnt be more interesting to have some black (or sth like that) stars on doors
Cheers
Pedro
 _GOTOTOP